Out of Town Thread Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
ÐLR was always a fine 4th liner. We had no business letting him go. Whether he sucks or succeeds everywhere else, it's not important. The thing is he was tall, good wingspan, and could have been an asset on a PK. Centering a 4th line? Fine player. Lost for nothing to replace him with nothing.
Yep

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
3rd overall pick is what. If you are investing in the draft as MB has said many times, then give the kids a shot. They will make mistakes, they will likely also learn from those mistakes. If those poor vets pride is so great that they can't let a young TALENTED kid play in front of them, then need to learn something about life. I don't even know why PD is playing ahead of our 2nd year(not rookie) 3rd overall pick centre, nevermind playing ahead of domi. What has PD done to be our #1 center? He has Kharakter, but does not really have raw talent. Drouin has more talent than PD...but there are some other issues with that guy as well.
Truth is none of them deserve to be a number one center.......but the coach has to put someone there.

Its same old song and dance on this club.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
As much as I hate how the Canadian sports media pump his tires as (imo) he doesn't belong in the same sentence as McDavid...That being said, he's big , can deke,pass,score. He just turned 22 and he put up over 200 points through his first 200 NHL games (while still being only 21). If Habs had a player of his calibre we would be beyond ecstatic. People can talk about his salary but we are paying nearly the same cap hit for a goalie until he is 38.

Of course we would and I didn't say he wasn't a good player because he is and can score goals with the best of them in the NHL. I just don't see him being a complete player and belonging with the best players in the NHL yet even though the NHL and media always trying to put him there. I think the guy has much more to give but needs to put way more effort and be way more engaged in games to make himself a more consistent and more complete player to get himself to the next level.

Again just my opinion of him from watching more Leaf games the past 3+ years than I'd care to admit.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Gultess move by Babcock.

Anderson gets first of back to back games ...at home against the worst scoring team in the league.

Hutcinson gets second game of back to back on road against high scoring Caps.

Duh.

Reason number 326 why this team is going nowhere. No Guts. All dollars and politics.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
ÐLR was always a fine 4th liner. We had no business letting him go. Whether he sucks or succeeds everywhere else, it's not important. The thing is he was tall, good wingspan, and could have been an asset on a PK. Centering a 4th line? Fine player. Lost for nothing to replace him with nothing.
To make it worse, he was already defensively savvy. I mean really, hes probably the player who was most ready and prepared for a regular spot given his role in the NHL that we drafted. It should have been the easiest transition...but hey...leave it to this pathetic organization to screw it up. Bergevin with his neverending quest of finding that perfect 4th liner.

So f***ing lame.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Gultess move by Babcock.

Anderson gets first of back to back games ...at home against the worst scoring team in the league.

Hutcinson gets second game of back to back on road against high scoring Caps.

Duh.

Reason number 326 why this team is going nowhere. No Guts. All dollars and politics.

I guess Babcock figured he'd play his starter against the weaker Wild at home and get the 2 easier points instead of risking a loss at home with his backup and another loss on the road against the much tougher caps.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I guess Babcock figured he'd play his starter against the weaker Wild at home and get the 2 easier points instead of risking a loss at home with his backup and another loss on the road against the much tougher caps.
He's done the same before I believe

Reactions: sheed36

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Honest question.. Other than his lethal shot what else is Matthews really that great at? The guy really isn't very engaged and seems to avoid contact at all costs most games and pretty much stands around waiting for someone to feed him the puck for a shot..

Ray Ferraro once called Matthews 1B compared to McDavid but sorry I just don't see it.
Nothing. He is an opportunistic sniper, and is still widely overrated around the hockey world because he scores goals.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It's amazing how a lot of people dismiss goal scoring.

It's the most important skill.

I'm not dismissing his goal scoring at all. I just don't think he belongs with the better and more complete players in the NHL yet. His shot and goal scoring are elite but guys like McDavid, Drai, Mac, Kuch, etc.. provide all that as well and much more over what Matthews brings right now.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Honest question.. Other than his lethal shot what else is Matthews really that great at? The guy really isn't very engaged and seems to avoid contact at all costs most games and pretty much stands around waiting for someone to feed him the puck for a shot..

Ray Ferraro once called Matthews 1B compared to McDavid but sorry I just don't see it.

Well said.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Blue Jackets just moved ahead of the habs with that win. Fleyrs and NYR have 2 and 3 games in hand and are only 1 and 2 points back. Habs are only ahead of Sens and Devils if things go well for rags and flyers.

Wennberg has gotten his mojo back after a horrible last season.

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad