Out of Town Thread Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What seperates the Bruins and Habs is one pick. They got Pasta we got Scherbak. Someone in the org shoudl of pushed to trade up and get ahead of the Bruins on that one.

Just imagine if the Bruins had Scherbak instead of Pasta in their line up and the habs had Pasta.

Yeah but the Bruins would of developed Scherbak and we would of destroyed Pasta's development :laugh:. In all seriousness, I wonder if we would of drafted Pasta if the Bruins didn't draft him? :dunno:

Reactions: scrubadam

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm really disappointed by the fact that Boston defeated Columbus.

You had money on CBJ?

Or, you don't like the fact that we got a better pick out of it. :sarcasm:

Gotta be on account of Marchand the turd getting the benefit of another series.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Okay, then the Flames traded Hamilton for Hanifin and Lindholm and got hella younger, and better, whats the excuse there, old man?

Lol bastard. My point was I didn't remember Boston wanting to trade Hamilton, as he was part of their core. I had remembered that it was Hamilton who had asked to be traded.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If I remember correctly, the Bruins didn't want to trade Hamilton. It was Hamilton that requested a trade. @BigBadBruins7708 if you're still online. Can you confirm this or deny this?

correct.

Bruins wanted him to stay, it was Hamilton that asked out. He didn't feel part of the room, didnt like Claude's defensive demands, among other rumors (like he was mad they didnt draft his brother)

With their hand forced, they moved him to Calgary for a 1st and 2 2nds (basically what they would've gotten as comp from an offer sheet)

Hamilton refused to sign a contract offer of 6/33 (5.5 per) from Boston
He immediately signed in Calgary for 6/34.5 (5.75 per)

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
correct.

Bruins wanted him to stay, it was Hamilton that asked out. He didn't feel part of the room, didnt like Claude's defensive demands, among other rumors (like he was mad they didnt draft his brother)

With their hand forced, they moved him to Calgary for a 1st and 2 2nds (basically what they would've gotten as comp from an offer sheet)

Hamilton refused to sign a contract offer of 6/33 (5.5 per) from Boston
He immediately signed in Calgary for 6/34.5 (5.75 per)

Thanks for the detailed reply. I didn't even know he had a brother. I learn new things everyday on HF lol Thanks again.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You gotta wonder what this semi-final run for the Blue Jackets is going to cost them in the long run.

Unlike most, even if they won their 1st round, the only round in their existence...I still wasn't a fan of what Kekalainen did at the deadline.

They've got 2 picks coming up at the draft...still a steep price to pay for advancing past 1 round IMO.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You gotta wonder what this semi-final run for the Blue Jackets is going to cost them in the long run.

Unlike most, even if they won their 1st round, the only round in their existence...I still wasn't a fan of what Kekalainen did at the deadline.

They've got 2 picks coming up at the draft...still a steep price to pay for advancing past 1 round IMO.

Yeah I don't think it was particularly smart of Jarmo, even if it made for a nice feel good story. He didn't just gamble a couple picks on a run. Come the draft, he'll be out the returns on Bobrovsky and Panarin and the picks he traded.

Reactions: 417

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I don't bet money, I just preferred Columbus.

I guess that the Habs will now get a slightly better pick, but the likelihood of that mattering is low.
Just like the year when Boston Picked Pastrnak and we picked Scherbak.....ahhhhh........it’s only one slot down.

I remember wanting Doan.....and of course Winnipeg snatched him the pick before our own.....and well, it was just one a slot back.....but we got........well, we all know who we got.

Every slot number counts.....Columbus losing is better for us then them moving on

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I told @Runner77 once, those moves were the equivalent of him playing Russian roulette with six hollow points in a six shooter.......he was probably hoping for a dry fire.....but alas it was never meant to be.....a bullet always tells the truth

Reactions: 417

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Just to clear this up, this is a quote from the Blue Jackets owner:

“We were fully committed to being as good as we can be right now,” McConnell said. “The one thing I told JD and Jarmo was as long as we are in a position to be in the playoffs, I wanted to keep Bob and Panarin. We are at the point where we need to take every opportunity to be as good as we can be. We won’t leverage the future, but we also aren’t going to wait on it.”

The decision to be all in came from the top, the gm just acted on it.

Michael Arace | Blue Jackets owner says, 'I wanted to keep Bob and Panarin' at trade deadline

Reactions: jaffy27

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just to clear this up, this is a quote from the Blue Jackets owner:

The decision to be all in came from the top, the gm just acted on it.

Michael Arace | Blue Jackets owner says, 'I wanted to keep Bob and Panarin' at trade deadline
That quote by the owner is a bit off

Saying "we won't leverage the future" is actually, exactly what they did this year.

I know Jarmo was getting a lot of props after beating the Bolts in round 1...but I always saw it as "Cup or bust" with the moves they made (or at the very least, a Cup Finals appearance).

Chili

Jun 10, 2004

Saying "we won't leverage the future" is actually, exactly what they did this year.

I know Jarmo was getting a lot of props after beating the Bolts in round 1...but I always saw it as "Cup or bust" with the moves they made (or at the very least, a Cup Finals appearance).
The comments I've been reading here were the 'all in' was the gm's decision, when he was just following the wishes of the owner, that was the point.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That would be great.
Now were only a Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci away ...

Look at the teams still alive. Are we that far from Carolina, Colorado, St. Louis, and Dallas? It didn't look like it when we played them this year.

Our needs are an upgrade on Drouin and a top 4 LD. Those two elements will make us competitive. Once you get that, you add to it and see where it goes.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My dream scenario of 4 wild card teams in the conference finals fell through. :(

No, I don't really care one way or another, but it would be pretty cool.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The comments I've been reading here were the 'all in' was the gm's decision, when he was just following the wishes of the owner, that was the point.
No I know...my comment wasn't meant towards you, just that specific part from the owner.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Yup.....it’s as though you just paid off your 700,000$ house, then went and borrowed 700,000$ and placed the whole chabang on a LottoMax......it was literally do or die.......if Panarin and Brobovski both sign, I can see the rest following suit.......but very unlikely this happens

Reactions: 417 and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Habs are dealing from a position of strength. Maybe there is a deal to be had with CBJ, given their lack of picks.

Or maybe, their scouts are looking for jobs. :D

Reactions: groovejuice and 417

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
No I know...my comment wasn't meant towards you, just that specific part from the owner.
Cool.

I've been reading up on this a bit, they have 3 young goaltenders they like, a good young d core including the Russian kid who played the last two games. If all the ufas leave they'll have some holes up front but they should have some cap room to be active in free agency. They also seem to have some good scouts including Jarmo.

I don't see all doom and gloom there, we'll see.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup.....it’s as though you just paid off your 700,000$ house, then went and borrowed 700,000$ and placed the whole chabang on a LottoMax......it was literally do or die.......if Panarin and Brobovski both sign, I can see the rest following suit.......but very unlikely this happens

Panarin has Floridaitis. It's an affliction that capriciously demands the exposure to warm weather year round.

Can't see him signing with Columbus, he wouldn't even commit when offered free dental services for life. :D

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Cool.

I've been reading up on this a bit, they have 3 young goaltenders they like, a good young d core including the Russian kid who played the last two games. If all the ufas leave they'll have some holes up front but they should have some cap room to be active in free agency. They also seem to have some good scouts including Jarmo.

I don't see all doom and gloom there, we'll see.
I just think essentially wiping out an entire year of draft picks ( I believe they only have 2 picks this year), when there's a salary cap and young players are making more of an impact, at a younger age.

It was a massive gamble, and IMO, it backfired and had little chance of working out.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Look at the teams still alive. Are we that far from Carolina, Colorado, St. Louis, and Dallas? It didn't look like it when we played them this year.

Our needs are an upgrade on Drouin and a top 4 LD. Those two elements will make us competitive. Once you get that, you add to it and see where it goes.
im pretty sure we did quite well vs those teams. We beat the Avs, quite easily I must say, 1 of 2 and won one of 3 vs Canes, one going in 3v3 OT which has no bearing to playoff hockey (so 1-1 and all games were super tight), won 1 of 2 vs stars (altho in OT, meaning close game at their building), and 1 of 2 vs Blues. We also won 2 of 4 vs Boston with most games being very tight. We did get swept by the Sharks... But we are def up there. Certainly not better, but quite close with the right additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad