Out of Town Thread - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
GMs in general should be using the offer sheet system on the Leafs this summer. We all know their cap situation and at worse they match and have to make other trades to compensate or they dont match and you get the player. What I'll be interested is if a GM will be daring to do it because Dubas is at the helm and not a well connected guy like Lou. I always assumed that GMs dont use offer sheets because of their strong connections to the other GMs (the old boys club mentality).

Carolina is one team that I could see giving Marner a big offer sheet if we get to that point. You have a Canes owner who wants to make a bold move and had the Leafs say no on Nylander. I could see him saying screw it and throwing a large offer which would put the Leafs in a bad spot.
I think they could easily move Nylander if they wanted. Very easy to argue his bad year is due to him coming in with no camp mid-season.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Euhm...ya...Leafs have guys like Tavares and Matthews signed long term. HA-HA!
Wait...aren't those guys excellent hockey players? Oh...I get it...they paid them a few Millions more. Talk about a moral victory...
I aslo agree with this.

The whole thing of - “haha leafs, now you have to pay these guys huge dollars” - is silly to me.

It’s like us getting a #1 and #4 overall draft pick in consecutive years and not wanting them to develop quickly into superstars. As if we’d say “ya, I want them to become good players, but not so good that they’d command some of the higher salaries league wide”. It’s silly.

Sure, it’s tough for management to navigate through it, but it’s the type of problem every GM and fan should want to face.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Euhm...ya...Leafs have guys like Tavares and Matthews signed long term. HA-HA!
Wait...aren't those guys excellent hockey players? Oh...I get it...they paid them a few Millions more. Talk about a moral victory...

Oh absolutely, there’s no doubt about that.

The satisfaction is more based on how some of the fans completely have their head in the sand regarding realistic expectations for the extensions than anything else.

Thinking that all your players are taking discounts just because, not likely.. Especially after setting a precedent with JT.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
TSN said last night, the Leafs have 14 guys signed for next year with almost 72M in salaries. Leaving 11 M left to sign 7-8 guys and Marner will be taking 10M of their cap room. Mee-lander and someone else will have to go....their D is going to lose Gardner +

Alot of firepower upfront but not much on D left to work with. The Shanny discounts presser, did not have much of an effect on the agents.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Potential 2019-20 :

Marleau (6.25) Matthews (11.6) Marner (10.0)
Hyman (2.25) Tavares (11.0) Nylander (6.9)
Johnsson (2.25) Kadri (4.5) Kapanen (2.75)
TBD (750k) Gauthier (675k) Moore (775k)

Muzzin (4.0) - Rielly (5.0)
Dermott (863k) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Rosen (750k) - Hainsey (2.0)

Andersen (5.0)
Sparks (750k)

Goalies - 5.75 M
Defence - 17.1 M
Forwards - 59.7 M

Total - 82.5 Million.

Projected NHL Cap 83+ million.

Where is the 23 man roster? You are missing 3 players and the cap hit for Kessel. That's how tight it is.

The other thing to watch out for is performance bonus money. RFA's like Kapanen, Johnsson, Sparks will be looking for performance bonus money and this will affect how/when they move Horton's contract to LTIR. Pretty sure Dubas will try to squash those performance bonus attempts.

Leafs are short about $3M - $4M range. Marleau's contract will be moved IMO.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Patrick Kane and the Blackhawks have certainly turned things around. Didn't realize, but looked this morning and Kane is only 3 points behind Kucherov for the league lead and now is in second in goals (5 behind Ovechkin).

Yeah, won 5 in a row and only a 3 points out of a WC spot. Kane has a point in 14 straight and scored in 8.

Reactions: Tuggy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
TSN said last night, the Leafs have 14 guys signed for next year with almost 72M in salaries. Leaving 11 M left to sign 7-8 guys and Marner will be taking 10M of their cap room. Mee-lander and someone else will have to go....their D is going to lose Gardner +

Alot of firepower upfront but not much on D left to work with. The Shanny discounts presser, did not have much of an effect on the agents.
Price contract actually looking pretty good now. Compared to what stars are signing for today. Matthews 12 million caphit and he can walk as UFA at 26. To tie him up for 8 years would run them 13 or 14 million per.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
GMs in general should be using the offer sheet system on the Leafs this summer. We all know their cap situation and at worse they match and have to make other trades to compensate or they dont match and you get the player. What I'll be interested is if a GM will be daring to do it because Dubas is at the helm and not a well connected guy like Lou. I always assumed that GMs dont use offer sheets because of their strong connections to the other GMs (the old boys club mentality).

Carolina is one team that I could see giving Marner a big offer sheet if we get to that point. You have a Canes owner who wants to make a bold move and had the Leafs say no on Nylander. I could see him saying screw it and throwing a large offer which would put the Leafs in a bad spot.

I disagree about the reason for the lack of offersheets. As much as the old boys club is part of that, imo the greater reason is because of revenue sharing. The rich owners agreed to that, for the sake of the league's health, same as was asked of the players. Grand concessions like that usually come with a few compromises, and predatory offersheets might be part of those compromises.

Reactions: donghabs98

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Gotta feel bad for McDavid.......sure hes making a ton of money but what a shitty time to be drafted by a joke of an organization.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Leafs are trying to follow the Pens model of having a few elite players and plugging the rest with college free agents or cheap contracts. The problem is that while Tavares and Matthews are great players, they aren’t Crosby and Malkin. Marner is better than Kessel but will be taking a higher percentage of the cap.

They really have to go for it this year because the depth will fall off considerably next season.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Leafs are trying to follow the Pens model of having a few elite players and plugging the rest with college free agents or cheap contracts. The problem is that while Tavares and Matthews are great players, they aren’t Crosby and Malkin. Marner is better than Kessel but will be taking a higher percentage of the cap.

They really have to go for it this year because the depth will fall off considerably next season.
Still in a good position to be in. I would take my chances being in their situation of trying to built around a couple of great players than trying to do the opposite.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Rielly and Muzzin is still a pretty good start for a D group. Dermott has some nice upside too. Plus they'll get room from LTIR with Horton. They might pay San Jose to take Marleau off their hands, or another California team if San Jose needs the space to re-sign E. Karlsson, Meier and Pavelski.

Every team in the NHL has holes, its a matter of overcoming their weaknesses.

As for Shanny's presser, its a new NHL, Toronto hasn't won a round yet and Shanahan held out as a player, so it didn't mean much from him.

Reactions: BLONG7

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's interesting that people seem to think that Marner can be signed before July 1st. He can't unless they move $4m. They either need to trade Zaitsev or move Brown and Hymen.

Until July 1st, no team is allowed to spend above the current cap for next season. The cap for next year is not approved yet, so current cap is still used.

Currently, they have $71,9m allocated to next season already, so they only have $7,59m available in cap space for next season until July 1st and the new cap comes into place.

However, that figure also includes Horton's $5,3m LTIR, so if they move that it would free up the cap to sign Marner. LTIR cannot be pre-used before a season begins. This is what forced Detroit and Chicago to trade their LTIR.

So Horton has to go, but traditionally that has cost team quality prospects (Teravainen & Crouse both 1st rounders went in this scenario), or they dropped back in the 1st round (Detroit trading back with Arizona), or an outright 1st rounder.

Now Horton has a $5,3m cap hit for one more year, but his salary is $3,6m. I believe not all of that is covered with insurance too because it is a "preexisting condition." That is why Columbus moved him, because they were paying him not to play.

I can't see too many teams wanting to pay that either. That leaves Montreal, NYR and Philadelphia as teams with cap room and able to swallow any payouts to Horton.

Arizona the traditional team for this kind of thing? Doubt it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I aslo agree with this.

The whole thing of - “haha leafs, now you have to pay these guys huge dollars” - is silly to me.

It’s like us getting a #1 and #4 overall draft pick in consecutive years and not wanting them to develop quickly into superstars. As if we’d say “ya, I want them to become good players, but not so good that they’d command some of the higher salaries league wide”. It’s silly.

Sure, it’s tough for management to navigate through it, but it’s the type of problem every GM and fan should want to face.
The haha leafs part of it is more towards the contingent that truly believes that Toronto is the center of the universe, and that players will take discounts for the privledge of playing in such a fine city.

I'd take Matthews and marner at 23m for the pair too.

But Toronto has to pay their kids, despite the posturing of shanahan and the boyish charm of dubas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad