Out of Town Thread - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not in the rental market if we are paying 2nds for depth C's.

**** that.

He’s a huge C, decent on faceoffs, has 13 goals. He’s not some average depth player. For the Habs the price is high, but I think that’s a great trade for the Preds.

They still have the pieces to make a big move for Panarin.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Habs really needed to be in on the Boyle thing..................2nd round pick is a decent price for this guy.

As much as I like Boyle, I don't think it's what type of player Bergevin should be trading for.
I hope it's for someone who has more offense to his game, we need more firepower IMO in our lineup to compete against the high scoring Leafs, Bruins, Tampa, Caps, Pens...
I'm not saying we are that good just yet, but come playoff time you never know what could happen

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Oh absolutely, there’s no doubt about that.

The satisfaction is more based on how some of the fans completely have their head in the sand regarding realistic expectations for the extensions than anything else.

Thinking that all your players are taking discounts just because, not likely.. Especially after setting a precedent with JT.
Oddly enough JT did take a discount. He was offered more from SJ. 13 I believe. But Matthews and nylander certainly didn’t haha

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As much as I like Boyle, I don't think it's what type of player Bergevin should be trading for.
I hope it's for someone who has more offense to his game, we need more firepower IMO in our lineup to compete against the high scoring Leafs, Bruins, Tampa, Caps, Pens...
I'm not saying we are that good just yet, but come playoff time you never know what could happen
Agree completely. How many times do we need to see the Habs flounder in a playoff series because we can't score? Goals are tougher in April. I'm tired of seeing the Habs' offence wither and die. We need someone who can shoot and bury the puck, not another depth guy.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He’s a huge C, decent on faceoffs, has 13 goals. He’s not some average depth player. For the Habs the price is high, but I think that’s a great trade for the Preds.

They still have the pieces to make a big move for Panarin.

It's okay for the Preds. Who's obviously been in a window for a couple years now. It makes sense.

I'm just not at the point where we should be giving those picks up for that type of player. I'm not interested in moving anything for less than a good aged player who's got term.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's okay for the Preds. Who's obviously been in a window for a couple years now. It makes sense.

I'm just not at the point where we should be giving those picks up for that type of player. I'm not interested in moving anything for less than a good aged player who's got term.

You're both saying the same thing. I think Sean just took it as you were saying Boyle isn't good, when he's a very effective bottom 6 player who can fit nicely on the pp in front of the net.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
Preds trade for Brian Boyle and Cody McLeod. Pretty decent moves for them. I assume this takes them out of the Wayne Simmonds race.
Wouldn't have hated trading for Boyle but I agree with previous posts stating we need more scoring forwards. Especially if we are to make the playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
For me, I would still sell a bit. If Boyle is getting a second. Byron nets you a first. Great little player but we need better things. Having an additional first is a great thing to have if you enter conversations about Fowler or Lindholm to help out the left side of the defense.

You don't know if anyone is gonna hit free agency, but I would be wanting to keep my cap open to make some big offers on Duchene, Stone, Panarin and Karlsson.

Bring in high end talent for free. That's always a win. If you get Duchene or Karlsson then youve just made Danault or Petry expendable to recoup assets in a trade or address another area.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's interesting that people seem to think that Marner can be signed before July 1st. He can't unless they move $4m. They either need to trade Zaitsev or move Brown and Hymen.

Until July 1st, no team is allowed to spend above the current cap for next season. The cap for next year is not approved yet, so current cap is still used.

Currently, they have $71,9m allocated to next season already, so they only have $7,59m available in cap space for next season until July 1st and the new cap comes into place.

However, that figure also includes Horton's $5,3m LTIR, so if they move that it would free up the cap to sign Marner. LTIR cannot be pre-used before a season begins. This is what forced Detroit and Chicago to trade their LTIR.

So Horton has to go, but traditionally that has cost team quality prospects (Teravainen & Crouse both 1st rounders went in this scenario), or they dropped back in the 1st round (Detroit trading back with Arizona), or an outright 1st rounder.

Now Horton has a $5,3m cap hit for one more year, but his salary is $3,6m. I believe not all of that is covered with insurance too because it is a "preexisting condition." That is why Columbus moved him, because they were paying him not to play.

I can't see too many teams wanting to pay that either. That leaves Montreal, NYR and Philadelphia as teams with cap room and able to swallow any payouts to Horton.

Arizona the traditional team for this kind of thing? Doubt it.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but since it is a contract for the following season, I think the team is allowed the 5% (or 10%) cushion they get in the summer before they have to submit their full roster a week or so before the start of the following season?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Yes. Boyle is great for a contender. Pointless for the Canadiens.

Jul 6, 2016
I think I may able to score 13 goals playing for the lightning...

The kid has talent. He dominated at AHL level in his rookie season. Too bad Habs have no clue how to draft or sign good Q players.

Reactions: PaulD

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I don't think it's a good trade for the Preds. They absolutely need to get a top 6 winger and they will have to use their 1st. It's going to be back to back years where they don't have a pick in the first 2 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad