Out of Town Thread - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Why are you using the Habs as an example? I never agreed that the Habs have had good success in the playoffs. Heck we have beaten ONE starter in a playoff series during Bergevin's tenure.
My point is with a similar defense it was never deemed a problem for Montreal because Carey cleaned it up. But the goal posts are now moved because it’s the leafs. I feelfor you on the bergevin thing. I mean he’s thrown so much shit at the wall some of it finally stuck. Really like domi and the team seems to gel well together. Still not sure he’s the man for the job to develop the young guys coming up, but he’s done well the last little bit stocking the cup boards

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Well of course cups come into consideration when the teams best players have won cups. I never denied that Marner and Matthews aren't franchise talents. I just said that I don't think it's a valid comparison since Toews and Kane have won cups and Conn Smythes before those huge contracts. Marner and Matthews have yet to win their team a playoff series. Does that mean they are never going to? Of course not. But as of RIGHT NOW, they haven't.
With mcdavid and eichel signing the big tickets, that’s the nhl these days. What choice do they have. There’s no longer the 3 year 4-6 million deal before the big ticket. Just the way it’s gone. Follow suit or have disgruntled young stars

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
My point is with a similar defense it was never deemed a problem for Montreal because Carey cleaned it up. But the goal posts are now moved because it’s the leafs. I feelfor you on the bergevin thing. I mean he’s thrown so much **** at the wall some of it finally stuck. Really like domi and the team seems to gel well together. Still not sure he’s the man for the job to develop the young guys coming up, but he’s done well the last little bit stocking the cup boards
I'm sorry but the Habs had a much better defense than the Leafs in their playoff runs. Subban and Markov were absolute dynamite. That's a Norris trophy winning dman and a player who I firmly believed was a good #1 dman. Also while Petry is much better now, he was still a solid top 4 dman back then.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm sorry but the Habs had a much better defense than the Leafs in their playoff runs. Subban and Markov were absolute dynamite. That's a Norris trophy winning dman and a player who I firmly believed was a good #1 dman. Also while Petry is much better now, he was still a solid top 4 dman back then.
The point of being outshot and overworked still stands. Most teams live and die by their goalies. Some more than others. See patty roy for further reference. Anyways, I look forward to next game

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Oh boy.. After seeing the contracts handed out to Tavares, Nylander and now Matthews I guess Marner wants his too and you can't blame him.

Maple Leafs have lowballed Mitch Marner in contract talks, agent says | The Star

That, at least, was the gist of the reaction of one notable NHL agent Tuesday, after Dubas signed Maple Leafs centreman Auston Matthews to a five-year contract extension worth about $58 million U.S.

“That’s probably the best contract in the National Hockey League,” said Darren Ferris, the agent whose client list includes Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner. “There’s no team-friendly discount there”

“So far they’ve been trying to lowball (Marner),” Ferris said. “That’s the reason we’ve come to this point.”

“Nobody else is taking a discount. And now you’re asking (Marner) to take one again? It’s nonsense,” Ferris said. “Mitch already did them a favour on the entry-level deal.”

“Mitch will get what Mitch is due. But as far as the Maple Leafs, it’s up to them how they value him. If it works out with them, it works out,” Ferris said. “We’ll see at the end of the year what their position is and whether they’re motivated to sign Mitch or not. It’s totally up to them.”

Last edited:
Reactions: sharks9 and Chili

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
LOL^

Guess the whole team didn't grow up sleeping in Leafs PJs.

Leafs actually was Marner's fav team growing up....could be a divorce on the horizon..When ya get the agent calling the team lowballers in media...well

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Big day in Leafs land I see with Golden Boy getting extended.

Marner wants just as much.. and really, he's been the better player for a little while now (including last year's playoffs). So how are you going to tell him he can't have it after you've caved to both of the other guys?

I would 100% offer sheet Kapanen next year. Who cares if Dubas gets pissed? We hardly ever do trades with the Leafs anyway, and the Habs and the Leafs hating each other is how it's supposed to be in the first place.

Either force them to sign and put another dent into their top-heavy cap or actually get Kapanen who's been pretty awesome this year and is young/controlled going forward.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Leafs should just go all in this year since next season they will have 4 players making half the cap lol

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
This Leafs situation makes me feel pretty good right now.

I told them all on the main boards months ago there was no way Matthews was getting a penny less than Tavares. All the Leafs fans were expecting a 8yr deal around 9.5-10 just because. Not only was it more than JT, but only 5 years which brings him right up to UFA. To me that was deliberately planned so that if Toronto isn’t successful in those 5 years he can bolt back home to Zona.

Then recently I said Marner would be seeking atleast 10+ and was told he’d sign a discount in the 8s/9s because he grew up a leafs fan... and now his agent drops this bombshell.

No offense Leafs fans, but your smug asses deserved this.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Can't be all of them

Auston gives me a creepy greedy vibe. He looks like he wants you to show him the money
The other angle is the pressure. Big contract will equal big expectations.

I think it has effected Nylander, although I have never been sold on him.

Matthews is the real deal but if the team doesn't win, he'll still hear the critics.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Big day in Leafs land I see with Golden Boy getting extended.

Marner wants just as much.. and really, he's been the better player for a little while now (including last year's playoffs). So how are you going to tell him he can't have it after you've caved to both of the other guys?

I would 100% offer sheet Kapanen next year. Who cares if Dubas gets pissed? We hardly ever do trades with the Leafs anyway, and the Habs and the Leafs hating each other is how it's supposed to be in the first place.

Either force them to sign and put another dent into their top-heavy cap or actually get Kapanen who's been pretty awesome this year and is young/controlled going forward.

GMs in general should be using the offer sheet system on the Leafs this summer. We all know their cap situation and at worse they match and have to make other trades to compensate or they dont match and you get the player. What I'll be interested is if a GM will be daring to do it because Dubas is at the helm and not a well connected guy like Lou. I always assumed that GMs dont use offer sheets because of their strong connections to the other GMs (the old boys club mentality).

Carolina is one team that I could see giving Marner a big offer sheet if we get to that point. You have a Canes owner who wants to make a bold move and had the Leafs say no on Nylander. I could see him saying screw it and throwing a large offer which would put the Leafs in a bad spot.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

I told them all on the main boards months ago there was no way Matthews was getting a penny less than Tavares. All the Leafs fans were expecting a 8yr deal around 9.5-10 just because. Not only was it more than JT, but only 5 years which brings him right up to UFA. To me that was deliberately planned so that if Toronto isn’t successful in those 5 years he can bolt back home to Zona.

Then recently I said Marner would be seeking atleast 10+ and was told he’d sign a discount in the 8s/9s because he grew up a leafs fan... and now his agent drops this bombshell.

It'll be interesting to see what Marner gets. If you look at the top scoring wingers this year, he's around #10 in the league so there are other players scoring more than him that aren't making 10+ mil a year. At the same time, he *is* younger than those many of those players and will almost certainly improve, is the leading scorer on the Leafs and has outperformed Matthews points-wise. His agent and family also doesn't seem to be keen on him taking a discount.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Loved seeing all their "projections" earlier this year that had Matthews at 10 and Marner at 8.5 or similar. Toronto will end up having 50% of their cap next year committed to 4 forwards, just insanity.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Marner deserves at least as much as Matthews. And why would he do a discount? Honestly I find the idea preposterous: “You caved and gave these two guys everything they wanted but now you’re asking ME for a discount when you can legitimately make the argument I’m better than those two??”

Reactions: koyvoo

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I gi f
Marner deserves at least as much as Matthews. And why would he do a discount? Honestly I find the idea preposterous: “You caved and gave these two guys everything they wanted but now you’re asking ME for a discount when you can legitimately make the argument I’m better than those two??”
I fully agree with this. The only thing I’d say is that Marner’s camp probably jumped the gun a bit making their feelings on the topic public this early.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I gi f

I fully agree with this. The only thing I’d say is that Marner’s camp probably jumped the gun a bit making their feelings on the topic public this early.
i think it’s the perfect strategy: pressure dubas early. Maybe he can even squeeze more than Matthews at this point. He’s got the leafs by the short ones: local boy, best player and engine of the team, loved by fans. He’s already got all the fans saying he deserves at least the same as Matthews.

And those comments by the agents I think were just a shot across dubas’ bow: “don’t take us for idiots...”

Anyway, interesting to see how it ends

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Euhm...ya...Leafs have guys like Tavares and Matthews signed long term. HA-HA!
Wait...aren't those guys excellent hockey players? Oh...I get it...they paid them a few Millions more. Talk about a moral victory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad