Out of Town Thread - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wonder who they could sell then if they're likely not going to make the playoffs.

They are in the 1st Wild Card spot and 3 points ahead of the second Wild Card spot, held by Vancouver.

It is tight in the West for sure. But Koivu's injury doesn't necessarily mean they'll be sellers. If anything, they may look to replace him by acquiring someone to help the Wild hold onto a playoff spot. Maybe Fenton will give Tallon a call about Brassard?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Oddly enough JT did take a discount. He was offered more from SJ. 13 I believe. But Matthews and nylander certainly didn’t haha
Gotta chap his ass a little bit, signed two team friendly deals for a shot at winning and he signs with a team full of greedy kids. No way anyone should be making more than him on the leafs but he's likely to be the third highest paid player by the start of next season.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Gotta chap his ass a little bit, signed two team friendly deals for a shot at winning and he signs with a team full of greedy kids. No way anyone should be making more than him on the leafs but he's likely to be the third highest paid player by the start of next season.
I agree.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It was foolish of Tavares to take a discount. He's done that his entire career. He also played for peanuts when he was with the Islanders, I think that he may have given them two UFA years.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

I disagree, both Marner and Matthews are visibly better than Tavares and it's completely fair for both of them to get paid more than JT. You only get 10-15 years at this career if you're injury free and it makes sense for them to maximize their earnings as much as possible. I don't see that as greed, they're trying to provide for as many generations of their families as possible.

It's Tavares' fault for being a fool and leaving money on the table when he was in NY, and then repeating the same mistake in Toronto.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Oddly enough JT did take a discount. He was offered more from SJ. 13 I believe. But Matthews and nylander certainly didn’t haha

Yes he definitely did take the discount, what I meant by precedents in this situation was that giving him 11m they screwed themselves to give Matthews/Marner more as they’re superior players. Imagine if they did give him 13? They might have 3 players locked up at 39m...

Reactions: DAChampion

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Would love to see the Sens beat the Leafs tonight but they'll likely get slaughtered.
Funny how that works, isn't it? It's almost as much fun rooting against a team as it is rooting for one. I had a blast cheering for the Caps when they beat Boston in 2012. I even cheered (quietly) for the Bruins when they beat the Leafs. I'll be rooting for Ottawa tonight. Hate is as powerful a driving force as love.

Reactions: Tuggy

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
For me, I would still sell a bit. If Boyle is getting a second. Byron nets you a first. Great little player but we need better things. Having an additional first is a great thing to have if you enter conversations about Fowler or Lindholm to help out the left side of the defense.

You don't know if anyone is gonna hit free agency, but I would be wanting to keep my cap open to make some big offers on Duchene, Stone, Panarin and Karlsson.

Bring in high end talent for free. That's always a win. If you get Duchene or Karlsson then youve just made Danault or Petry expendable to recoup assets in a trade or address another area.
I'm starting to agree with this as a legit direction. After the last two summers of crappy/underwhelming UFA results I wanted no part of Free Agent Frenzy. But this summer has a great crop of players who very likely go to market. Coupled with Montreal becoming a surprisingly trendy team, there's an actual chance we get somebody good. Priorities for me are, in order, Karlsson, Stone, Panarin, Duchene.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Yes he definitely did take the discount, what I meant by precedents in this situation was that giving him 11m they screwed themselves to give Matthews/Marner more as they’re superior players. Imagine if they did give him 13? They might have 3 players locked up at 39m...
I agree. But honestly tavares has been much more than what I expected. He goes to the tough areas and plays hard for every inch. Marner does the same. Matthews and nylander are happier to skill their way to goals and wins. It’s a nice combination to have. The beauty of he, marner and Matthews is they can all drive their own Offense. They make the players around them better

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but since it is a contract for the following season, I think the team is allowed the 5% (or 10%) cushion they get in the summer before they have to submit their full roster a week or so before the start of the following season?

Yeah, you're right, but the 10% doesn't start until March 1st (to June 30th then the summer cap takes over). But that Cap hit includes LTIR, player bonuses, expected over ages, and they even count minor leaguers on 2 way contracts, so if player A was called up for 3 games they pro-rate that same cap hit for next year, as long as he's a RFA and not a UFA. All of it is counted under the 10% cushion.

It's impossible to truly calculate, but it looks like the Leafs are already around $78m factoring in LTIR and retained salaries, and maybe more if there are bonuses to be paid. The 10% cushion for next season comes into affect March 1st, so that pushes the upper limit to $87.45m (- $78m) leaves about $9,4m available. Considering Marner wants $10m+, they're still a little short.

Leafs can negotiate now, but will need to move money at the draft (probably Brown and Horton).

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah, you're right, but the 10% doesn't start until March 1st (to June 30th then the summer cap takes over). But that Cap hit includes LTIR, player bonuses, expected over ages, and they even count minor leaguers on 2 way contracts, so if player A was called up for 3 games they pro-rate that same cap hit for next year, as long as he's a RFA and not a UFA. All of it is counted under the 10% cushion.

It's impossible to truly calculate, but it looks like the Leafs are already around $78m factoring in LTIR and retained salaries, and maybe more if there are bonuses to be paid. The 10% cushion for next season comes into affect March 1st, so that pushes the upper limit to $87.45m (- $78m) leaves about $9,4m available. Considering Marner wants $10m+, they're still a little short.

Leafs can negotiate now, but will need to move money at the draft (probably Brown and Horton).

I think LTIR cushion is also active. They can go over the cap by the amount of the LTIR they have official papers for known long-term cases like Horton or others.

Anyway, I expect a big trade before TDL

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Toronto just had a nice tribute to Bob Cole in his last game there. 50 years... and not one of them announcing a Leafs Cup.

Reactions: blarneylad

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Toronto just had a nice tribute to Bob Cole in his last game there. 50 years... and not one of them announcing a Leafs Cup.

Good. I wish Montreal did something like this. Cole has done a lot of our playoff games, including our last Stanley Cup. He had some classic calls.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

CBC is forcing him out..he actually doesn't wanna go....He said if it was up to him he'd keep working...

We might see him again on Tsn???

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

What's crazy is that was a UFA deal and the kids are signing RFA deals, so they're not even comparable. I don't think any of them should be making more than Kucherov or Ovechkin ($9,5m). But, the problem is the stupid ass Buffalo Sabres signed Eichel to a $10m contract after seasons of 56, 57 & 67 pts. Ridiculous. That is their comparable and they want more.

So much for Shanahan's comment earlier this season about the kids being "reasonable". It's very much "show me the money."

Reactions: Frank Drebin

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Good. I wish Montreal did something like this. Cole has done a lot of our playoff games, including our last Stanley Cup. He had some classic calls.
I loved when he and Harry Neale called a game together growing up. My dad couldn’t stand the two of them and it would drive him nuts. It’s like he was having a conversation with them correcting them and calling them leaf homers lol

I had entertainment as much from my dad as I did the game itself!

Reactions: PaulD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad