Out of Town Thread - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We should compete now and build for the future, too!

It has never worked but well do it right this time though
We've never really built for the future...

So not sure I agree that it hasn't worked in the past.

Maybe it didn't work because they didn't actually do it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think competing in the present, which we are doing today, and keeping an eye on the future and planning for it, IS possible.

But it takes foresight and that's not something I've ever associated with this management group.

I don't think it's very effective. Maybe it's possible with some luck but I don't expect great things from the approach in general.

For example, Colorado is doing it now, but they needed their own tanking, and the stupidity of another GM to do it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think it's very effective. Maybe it's possible with some luck but I don't expect great things from the approach in general.

For example, Colorado is doing it now, but they needed their own tanking, and the stupidity of another GM to do it.
Luck is always a part of any successful team...it's an undeniable factor.

There's really no one way to build a Cup winning team....

GM's, even the "best ones" (and that's subjective because I don't really believe there is a "best GM") make dumb moves.

So Colorado taking advantage of the Sens really isn't all that different then Stan Bowman taking advantage of the St Louis Blues stupidity drafting Erik Johnson ahead of Jonathan Toews for example.

Last edited:

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004

GM's, even the "best ones" (and that's subjective because I don't really believe there is a "best GM") make dumb moves.

So Colorado taking advantage of the Sens really isn't all that different then Stan Bowman taking advantage of the St Louis Blues stupidity drafting Erik Johnson ahead of Jonathan Toews.
I don't know if you can call that "stupidity" considering EJs pedigree at the time, though your point certainly remains!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know if you can call that "stupidity" considering EJs pedigree at the time, though your point certainly remains!
Alot of things don't look stupid at the time...hindsight affords that luxury that's for sure lol

Many people thought the Sens did a great trade, I remember arguing how dumb it was, but it doesn't look so hot today either.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

So Colorado taking advantage of the Sens really isn't all that different then Stan Bowman taking advantage of the St Louis Blues stupidity drafting Erik Johnson ahead of Jonathan Toews for example.

The NHL is a general manager's cluster**** of hopeful moves.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The NHL is a general manager's cluster**** of hopeful moves.
Great example is how few of them take advantage of offer sheets.

All cause they don't wanna hurt feelings...

Meanwhile, in other sports (which I realize have different CBA's and rules) offer sheets are just part of the offseason like anything else.

Reactions: HankyZetts

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

While it's true that luck plays a role in the building of any team, I think there's a pretty big difference in the two examples you gave. Stan Bowman had a 3rd overall pick, which you can more or less get as a result of accepting that you're not competing in a given year, and trading veteran assets for futures. Whereas a trade as moronic, from the sens point of view, as the Duchene trade comes around only once in a blue moon. Even at the roulette table there are better and worse bets.

And again, even Colorado had a more or less successful tank first.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
While it's true that luck plays a role in the building of any team, I think there's a pretty big difference in the two examples you gave. Stan Bowman had a 3rd overall pick, which you can more or less get as a result of accepting that you're not competing in a given year, and trading veteran assets for futures. Whereas a trade as moronic, from the sens point of view, as the Duchene trade comes around only once in a blue moon. Even at the roulette table there are better and worse bets.

And again, even Colorado had a more or less successful tank first.
Yet at the time, so many people (not me among them) thought it was a great trade for the Sens...

It only became widely accepted as an awful trade when it became clear that the Sens, as a team, even with Duchene, were just awful.

But at the time of the trade, adding Duchene to a core that already included Karlsson & Stone, "seemed" like a great trade to many.

Either way - I get what you mean.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, he struck early in terms of big moves but his drafting has been abysmal and he's had a hard time filling his team's needs. Lot of DET guys seem to be overrated.

Drafting/Development has been atrocious and is certainly in need of cleaning house. Anyone know if Nill hired most of the scouting/development guys, or were they leftover from the previous regime?

It also goes to show how the most important qualities of a good GM is hiring the right people throughout the organization rather then being good at trades.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Drafting/Development has been atrocious and is certainly in need of cleaning house. Anyone know if Nill hired most of the scouting/development guys, or were they leftover from the previous regime?

It also goes to show how the most important qualities of a good GM is hiring the right people throughout the organization rather then being good at trades.
I'm going out on a limb but I think thry were leftovers

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
boston still has 33 games left but if Rask is out long then it's great for the Habs as not having to face TB is the best outcome for the playoffs. Now you could have Habs, boston, Sabers, Canes, fighting for those final spots unless the leafs don't rebound and I assume Pens, jackets, caps, NYI are locks while TB steamrolls through the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->