GDT: Out of Town NHL Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
What are the rules for posting such rumors? I can understand completely if the site doesn't want this board to become some cesspool of twitter garbage and who did who rumors, however, if such a rumor was backed up by a legitimate media source (not some random guy on twitter) that should be okay to post, no?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
How the **** did the Leafs dump Clarkson with no money retained?

Just how...? I get CLB didn't want to pay for a guy who probably isn't going to play again...but WOOOOW.

This makes me think Chiarelli is "trying to move Seidenberg" by demanding a first round pick or something.

That guy literally has THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How the **** did the Leafs dump Clarkson with no money retained?

Just how...? I get CLB didn't want to pay for a guy who probably isn't going to play again...but WOOOOW.

This makes me think Chiarelli is "trying to move Seidenberg" by demanding a first round pick or something.

That guy literally has THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

They are going to pay every cent of Hortons contract- that's how they did it.

It's amazing what you can do when you can spend 25 million dollars for a guy to never play for you.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
They are going to pay every cent of Hortons contract- that's how they did it.

It's amazing what you can do when you can spend 25 million dollars for a guy to never play for you.

Yeah, that's the difference between a small-market team and one with unlimited resources. Working within the cap is an obvious factor in deals, but self-imposed caps can sometimes be overlooked.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The Leafs do understand that Nathan Horton may not be able to play ever again, right?

Or has his condition improved that much they decided to take a chance? I hope it is the latter for Nathan's sake.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The Leafs do understand that Nathan Horton may not be able to play ever again, right?

Or has his condition improved that much they decided to take a chance? I hope it is the latter for Nathan's sake.

This deal happened because Columbus has an internal cap and likely does not want to pay a guy (Horton) who isn't going to play. At the very least, Clarkson will be playing, so they can manage that. Columbus could put Horty on LTIR, but they'd still have to pay him the actual money with no production in return, and they can't afford to do that. Toronto, on the other hand, has money out their ears, and was willing to pay Horty because they can, and can take advantage of just putting on on LTIR and recouping his cap hit. At the same time, they can't do that with Clarkson, and that albatross contract was preventing them from what they wanted to do.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This deal happened because Columbus has an internal cap and likely does not want to pay a guy (Horton) who isn't going to play. At the very least, Clarkson will be playing, so they can manage that. Columbus could put Horty on LTIR, but they'd still have to pay him the actual money with no production in return, and they can't afford to do that. Toronto, on the other hand, has money out their ears, and was willing to pay Horty because they can, and can take advantage of just putting on on LTIR and recouping his cap hit. At the same time, they can't do that with Clarkson, and that albatross contract was preventing them from what they wanted to do.

OK, I get it now. Thanks for the info Stone Clode!

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Still don't understand why Columbus took the gamble of signing him uninsured. I get there's a period where they couldn't because of his IR stint after he left us. If that is the case, why do you sign him then?

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Still understand why Columbus took the gamble of signing him uninsured. I get there's a period where they couldn't because of his IR stint after he left us. If that is the case, why do you sign him then?

Yeah this was the big head scratcher for me too. My eyes popped out reading it wasn't insured. That's gross negligence.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Still understand why Columbus took the gamble of signing him uninsured. I get there's a period where they couldn't because of his IR stint after he left us. If that is the case, why do you sign him then?

True Nasty Nate was never a Doug Jarvis or Gary Unger...

With two wicked bad concussions how do you not do that? Maybe for that reason he was uninsurable?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Yep. For Toronto, cap space >>>>>>> real $$$.

Arthur*

Yeah this was the big head scratcher for me too. My eyes popped out reading it wasn't insured. That's gross negligence.
Considering Horton had missed large chunks of time before due to concussions, and perhaps his back issues wound up on his physical, no insurance company would insure that contract, at least at an affordable rate for a small market hockey team. It was a major gamble to sign him and they lost big time.

As for why Clarkson, better to spend $7 million on a guy who will play for you than $5-something in real cash for a guy who,won't play plus having to pay a player who will have to dress for him in the lineup. The move makes sense for Columbus in,a real money sense.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
7 million still blows my mind. Good grief I can't believe they actually paid him that.

Boston although gutted when Horty left, definitely dodged a massive bullet there.

How many years left on Savards contract with us?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think Ottawa is going to make a run. Once the book is out on Hammond, they'll be back down on Earth.

Philly is still the team to be afraid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad