GDT: Out of Town NHL Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Florida looked good. Barkov with a great hustle/effort goal and Huburdeau with 3 assists playing with Jagr.

Last edited:

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
Anyone want a blueprint for beating the Habs need only watch what the Sharks have done tonight.

Flawless tailor made for the strategy of beating a team relying on a goalie.

Tipped shots.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
Quick, get this message to the Bruin brain trust. Why didn't anyone ever think of this ?

I dont think I remember the last tipped goal the Bruins scored on Price.

The spacing in the offensive zone allowed San Jose the opportunity to properly set up and screen for tipped shots.

It was much deeper than the tipped shots, but tough to elaborate on in a paragraph.

I appreciate the bitter comment, but if you watched how perfectly San Jose shut down Montreal's natural tendencies it was a thing of beauty.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Anyone want a blueprint for beating the Habs need only watch what the Sharks have done tonight.

Flawless tailor made for the strategy of beating a team relying on a goalie.

Tipped shots.

Sharks are the best team in the league at tipping the puck. We on the other hand, suck at it in comparison.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
re: The spacing in the offensive zone allowed San Jose the opportunity to properly set up and screen for tipped shots.

-- Ok, fair enough, What do you mean by this ?
Really, if it is this simple, the Bruins' coaching staff (what is it, 6 guys ?) will have picked up this info by now.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I dont think I remember the last tipped goal the Bruins scored on Price.

The spacing in the offensive zone allowed San Jose the opportunity to properly set up and screen for tipped shots.

It was much deeper than the tipped shots, but tough to elaborate on in a paragraph.

I appreciate the bitter comment, but if you watched how perfectly San Jose shut down Montreal's natural tendencies it was a thing of beauty.

I do, the shot Bergy threw at him from the boards that hit a hole in the ice and tipped over his glove :laugh: Game 2 or playoffs last year, the comeback!

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
re: The spacing in the offensive zone allowed San Jose the opportunity to properly set up and screen for tipped shots.

Really, if it is this simple, the Bruins' coaching staff (what is it, 6 guys ?) will have picked up this info by now.

Who hasn't picked up on it? Bruins clump together in the offensive zone, don't utilize a triangle when they do, and constantly get caught on the break as a result.

I don't even know when the habit started because they used to hold court like a clinic in the zone in 2011.

Nothing more frustrating than watching 3 forwards all 4 to 8 ft from each other struggle to find the puck, let alone retain it, and then be behind the play the other way.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
Bad play causes players to revert from the basics.

The team that doesn't over react and veer from the basics usually prevails.

Watching the passing and spacing from Boston in Feb. was akin to watching someone forget to ride a bike.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
OK, so everyone knows what do do in the offensive zone, but they refuse to do it ? I don't understand how you can know this, but the players and coaches do not. Are you able to elaborate on this point ?

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon

I've also noticed teams are more likely to ice the puck or utilize a scoop when the Bruins clump and try to pin pucks through pinching the boards.

Slow teams need to hold possession in the zone or they don't score.

Hence why guys like Bergeron and Marchand have still seen the success. They can score on the break.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
OK, so everyone knows what do do in the offensive zone, but they refuse to do it ? I don't understand how you can know this, but the players and coaches do not. Are you able to elaborate on this point ?

Theory and practice are two very different things. By your logic no one would ever play a bad game because they should all know how to play well.

I'm sure they are reviewing tape.

Bad habits can be hard to break.

Smoking for example. Who doesn't know it's bad for them but still lights up.

I see lazy hockey from a team stuck in a rut.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
So lazy hockey equals the inability to tip in shots from the point ?

Your analysis is very flawed. Hockey is not like football where every play is scripted.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
So lazy hockey equals the inability to tip in shots from the point ?

Your analysis is very flawed. Hockey is not like football where every play is scripted.

Last post.

Lazy hockey prevents puck retention. Puck retention is key to setting up the positions that allow screens and tippers to be in the lane.

Outside of power plays, I have not seen any real use of puck retention in the o zone.

This was the strength that allowed Boston success in 2011 and 2013.

They are not reading entry well and constantly use the boards when teams are adjusting for it.

If you watched what San Jose did tonight against a faster team by using the puck speed against Montreal's foot speed when setting up in the o zone, you would see were Boston's short comings have been(and not just against Montreal).

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
But since I know you didn't watch the SJ/Habs game.. I can't begin to elaborate further.

I'd love to hear your observations about the changes and mistakes they have been making that has seen a league powerhouse go to middle pack.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Last post.

Lazy hockey prevents puck retention. Puck retention is key to setting up the positions that allow screens and tippers to be in the lane.

Outside of power plays, I have not seen any real use of puck retention in the o zone.

This was the strength that allowed Boston success in 2011 and 2013.

They are not reading entry well and constantly use the boards when teams are adjusting for it.

If you watched what San Jose did tonight against a faster team by using the puck speed against Montreal's foot speed when setting up in the o zone, you would see were Boston's short comings have been(and not just against Montreal).

Puck retention is a little easier on the powerplay than it is when both teams have 5 skaters on the ice.

It is quite amusing that armchair quarterbacks feel they have all the answers.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
But since I know you didn't watch the SJ/Habs game.. I can't begin to elaborate further.

I'd love to hear your observations about the changes and mistakes they have been making that has seen a league powerhouse go to middle pack.

Talent is the answer. It's got nothing to do with tip-in prowess.

Horton gone
Seguin gone
Ryder gone
Peverley gone

Boychuk gone
Kaberle gone
Ference gone

Thomas gone

Chara old
Seidenberg old
McQuaid broken down

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
Puck retention is a little easier on the powerplay than it is when both teams have 5 skaters on the ice.

It is quite amusing that armchair quarterbacks feel they have all the answers.

That's why I mentioned it. And I've seen good teams do it better at even strength than I have seen Boston do it on the pp.

Which is hard to understand because no one did it better for 3 seasons in the league.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
Talent is the answer. It's got nothing to do with tip-in prowess.

Horton gone
Seguin gone
Ryder gone
Peverley gone

Boychuk gone
Kaberle gone
Ference gone

Thomas gone

Chara old
Seidenberg old
McQuaid broken down

Seguin Horton and Boychuk.. sorely missed. But they were missing most of these pieces when they lead the league in points and won the President's trophy, were they not?

Was that season a fluke? You should look at the puck pssession stats between last year and this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->