Speculation: Our Next Head Coach II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
two way play is bred by all leagues. And the Penguins under Shero didn't have that much of an NCAA presence just by looking at their drafts.

The only drafted regular the Devils have that played in the NCAA is Merrill. The others are Greene, Schneider, Harrold, and Gionta.

So I don't really see the real focus point on players playing in the NCAA based on the past. It's a part of the team but it's not the predominate focus on how they build the team.

You forgot Zajac...

And there aren't more because we let them all walk away re recently...

Parise, Martin, Fayne, Brian Gionta(not all that recent)

We've always had a very strong NCAA presence in NJ...McKay, Pandolfo, Madden, Morrison, Guerin, Rolston, Rafalski, Driver, Weinrich...
Thats just off the top of my head there are a ton more of those ancillary guys like

Mike Dunham, Scott Pellerin, Chris McAlpine and those types.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't buy the Devils hiring both Hynes and Reirden. They would be on the hook for giving compensation to two teams.

That would be crazy unless they got compensation for Pete I suppose...I could deal with giving away 'one' aggregate third rounder in that case if they really feel that's the staff they should have.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
You forgot Zajac...

And there aren't more because we let them all walk away re recently...

Parise, Martin, Fayne, Brian Gionta(not all that recent)

We've always had a very strong NCAA presence in NJ...McKay, Pandolfo, Madden, Morrison, Guerin, Rolston, Rafalski, Driver, Weinrich...
Thats just off the top of my head there are a ton more of those ancillary guys like

Mike Dunham, Scott Pellerin, Chris McAlpine and those types.

yea I forgot Travis because I was thinking bchl and forgot und also forgot camm played in the ncaa. I'm not saying college isn't part of the team but they get guys from all avenues.

Also I don't think the Devils have to give compensation if Hynes is an assistant coach.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
yea I forgot Travis because I was thinking bchl and forgot und also forgot camm played in the ncaa. I'm not saying college isn't part of the team but they get guys from all avenues.

Oh yeah I forgot Cammalleri myself :)

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Friedman
There were reports Saturday that Phil Housley was in the lead for the Devils’ coaching job (I’d heard a similar rumour, although not as strongly worded), but that came with some pretty strong denials. It’s always difficult to predict what New Jersey will do, but it does appear as if something is coming within the next day or so. I do believe AHL Wilkes-Barre coach John Hynes is a finalist, but a couple of sources indicate there is at least one other person in the mix.

Also said it could happen in next 24-48 hours.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
It's so weird reading rumors from legit sources about our team.

I like it. It makes the slow months more entertaining. It also doesn't hurt Shero is a bit more open about what he intends to do and appears thus far to follow through on it pretty well. Definitely a culture change for sure but I think I am liking it.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I find Housley extremely intriguing... I don't know anything about his coaching philosophy but if you look at the pieces of the puzzle it's an interesting picture...

A no defense offensive Dman as a player who put up a tremendous amount of points...

Coaching for team USA and Nashville, two places that have been known for structured play and discipline...

I don't know enough but my curiosity is peaked.

Wild fan throwing his 2¢ in. This is just my own humble (yet biased) opinion of him, but I played under him for 3 years when he coached at Stillwater High School in MN and I have nothing but good things to say. He has a very patient yet stern coaching style that is very easy to mesh with. I know I'm only talking about teenagers, but just remember what he did with kids around the same age at the WJC.

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m1 minute ago
Certainly appears as if PIT's AHL coach John Hynes is the likely leading candidate to be next head coach in NJ. Nothing official, mind you.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 39s 39 seconds ago
Guy Boucher had been finalist for NJ job but his window to leave Bern in SUI closed today. Swiss reports this a.m. confirm he'll be back.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm glad it's not Boucher. I'm not nearly as high on that guy as a lot of people here are.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm ok with the 3rd round pick for Hynes. Dunno if I'd want to give up another for Reirdan.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I have no comment on Hynes since I know nothing about him aside from his resume and that he had never played nor has coached yet in the NHL.

I did not want Guy Boucher though.

I hope we don't have to part with a draft pick & lose out on a player that can potentially make an impact for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad