Speculation: Our Next Head Coach II

Status
Not open for further replies.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Nashville Predators assistant coach Phil Housley has emerged as the frontrunner to be the next coach of the New Jersey Devils, NJ.com reported Saturday.

Hiring a coach is the first big decision for general manager Ray Shero, who was hired by the Devils on May 4. The Devils and the Detroit Red Wings are the only NHL teams without a coach.

Housley, 51, has been with the Predators for two seasons. He coached the United States to the gold medal at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship; among the players on the team was forward Blake Pietila, who signed an entry-level contract with the Devils on Wednesday. He also was an assistant coach for the U.S. at the World Championship in 2011, 2013 and 2014.

During a 21-season NHL playing career, Housley was a defenseman for eight teams, including 22 games for the Devils during the 1995-96 season. He played 1,495 games, and his 1,232 points are second-most among U.S.-born players. He was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 2004.

NJ.com reported other candidates for the job are former Tampa Bay Lightning coach Guy Boucher; Washington Capitals assistant coach Todd Reirden; and John Hynes, the coach of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League. Reirden and Hynes worked for Shero when he was general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Well Now this could be good.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Any names outside of Housley coming up in Devils search?

I think Kevin Dineen could be good fit. Currently Hawks assistant and seems to have rebuilt his coaching stock in recent years

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Lou
Shero
Housley

Expect a lot of Americans on the team in the next couple of years...not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i don't really think just because of their connection they'll defer to us hockey. just who they think are the best players they can get and if they're American they're American. devils have had a lot of euros under lou.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Any names outside of Housley coming up in Devils search?

I think Kevin Dineen could be good fit. Currently Hawks assistant and seems to have rebuilt his coaching stock in recent years

Oh don't bring up Dineen!!! Bleed hates him for some reason.

Honestly I'm still not being Housley because the source isn't the best.

Other guys in the mix is Hynes from Pitt's AHL team and Reidhert, an assistant in Washington (also coached Pitt's AHL team).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nashville Predators assistant coach Phil Housley has emerged as the frontrunner to be the next coach of the New Jersey Devils, NJ.com reported Saturday.

Hiring a coach is the first big decision for general manager Ray Shero, who was hired by the Devils on May 4. The Devils and the Detroit Red Wings are the only NHL teams without a coach.

Housley, 51, has been with the Predators for two seasons. He coached the United States to the gold medal at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship; among the players on the team was forward Blake Pietila, who signed an entry-level contract with the Devils on Wednesday. He also was an assistant coach for the U.S. at the World Championship in 2011, 2013 and 2014.

During a 21-season NHL playing career, Housley was a defenseman for eight teams, including 22 games for the Devils during the 1995-96 season. He played 1,495 games, and his 1,232 points are second-most among U.S.-born players. He was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 2004.

NJ.com reported other candidates for the job are former Tampa Bay Lightning coach Guy Boucher; Washington Capitals assistant coach Todd Reirden; and John Hynes, the coach of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League. Reirden and Hynes worked for Shero when he was general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Honestly I don't think he is a bad choice. I just don't believe Chere.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
posted this in team discussion thread too, but friedman on HNIC just now:

-got a lot of "pretty strong denials" of housley being the frontrunner for HC
-sounds like coaching search will be resolved in next 24-48 hours
-believes that hynes has gone pretty far down the way, with 1-2 (or possibly more) candidates in the mix as well, but feels that hynes will be part of it regardless

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh don't bring up Dineen!!! Bleed hates him for some reason.

Honestly I'm still not being Housley because the source isn't the best.

Other guys in the mix is Hynes from Pitt's AHL team and Reidhert, an assistant in Washington (also coached Pitt's AHL team).

lol all I remember of Dineen is treating his starting goalie as if it was a state secret during the '12 playoff series.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

-believes that hynes has gone pretty far down the way, with 1-2 (or possibly more) candidates in the mix as well, but feels that hynes will be part of it regardless

Haha he basically said Chere is full of ****.

Hynes is definitely coming here it sounds like. Who ever said it might be the Washington guy and Hynes might of nailed it

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Haha he basically said Chere is full of ****.

Hynes is definitely coming here it sounds like. Who ever said it might be the Washington guy and Hynes might of nailed it

yeah, based on what friedman is saying, I am pretty pleased with the direction they appear to be going with the coach.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
so if Hynes gets a coaching position do we all start squirting

ketchup.jpg

in the air?:yo:

Also the rock should then only serve Heinz ketchup condiment.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Lou
Shero
Housley

Expect a lot of Americans on the team in the next couple of years...not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

i don't really think just because of their connection they'll defer to us hockey. just who they think are the best players they can get and if they're American they're American. devils have had a lot of euros under lou.

I think they like two way play from their players which is predominately bred by the NCAA system, which of course is full of American players. I have no problem with it.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
two way play is bred by all leagues. And the Penguins under Shero didn't have that much of an NCAA presence just by looking at their drafts.

The only drafted regular the Devils have that played in the NCAA is Merrill. The others are Greene, Schneider, Harrold, and Gionta.

So I don't really see the real focus point on players playing in the NCAA based on the past. It's a part of the team but it's not the predominate focus on how they build the team.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so if Hynes gets a coaching position do we all start squirting

in the air?:yo:

Also the rock should then only serve Heinz ketchup condiment.

as long as we dont end up with 57 varieties of coaching

(fun fact: my girlfriend at uni, her dad worked at the huge Heinz factory in the UK. we got whole pallets of free soup all the time :D)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Dineen is probably better off as an assistant or head coaching in the minor's.

He did a lot of stupid DeBoer type things in Florida. He also looked like a bozo during the playoffs that year.

Maybe he can be a successful head coach at the NHL level in the future one day, but I'd rather not give him that chance right now.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Not sure who the "denials" were from but the same stuff happened with Sergey Kalinin. We heard a name then it got silent some reports came out saying it wasnt going to happen and then boom it happened.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure who the "denials" were from but the same stuff happened with Sergey Kalinin. We heard a name then it got silent some reports came out saying it wasnt going to happen and then boom it happened.

Not really. Shero denied a Kalinin offer to the media, which is standard practice. Reliable sources were reporting that the offer was made. In this case, Friedman is denying a report that Chere pulled out of his ass about Housley. Not a single reliable source has confirmed or supported it.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Not really. Shero denied a Kalinin offer to the media, which is standard practice. Reliable sources were reporting that the offer was made. In this case, Friedman is denying a report that Chere pulled out of his ass about Housley. Not a single reliable source has confirmed or supported it.

Yes but before Shero denied it there were some reports coming out that it wasnt true, or that no contact had been offered. It faded and Shero was asked denied it and then it was done.

Im just talking about the media stuff before Shero denied it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes but before Shero denied it there were some reports coming out that it wasnt true, or that no contact had been offered. It faded and Shero was asked denied it and then it was done.

Im just talking about the media stuff before Shero denied it.

The source for Kalinin was his agent.

Literally all we got for Houseley was Chere and this isn't the first time he completely missed the boat with the next coach.

It's also out of left field when all sources had Shero pressing hard for Hynes for weeks.

Safe bet is he is trying to do thr guy from Washington, Hynes and Stevens for the bench coaches.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think Dineen is probably better off as an assistant or head coaching in the minor's.

He did a lot of stupid DeBoer type things in Florida. He also looked like a bozo during the playoffs that year.

Maybe he can be a successful head coach at the NHL level in the future one day, but I'd rather not give him that chance right now.

I agree with you he did a very good job with the Portland Pirates but screwed up in Fla.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Did you over sleep? lol

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
If Housley does get the gig I wonder if he would keep Foligno on as an assistant coach. Housley and Foligno were teammates on the Buffalo Sabres for many years back in the 1980s.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I don't buy the Devils hiring both Hynes and Reirden. They would be on the hook for giving compensation to two teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad