Speculation: Our Next Head Coach II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Phil Housley, according to Chere he is top of the short list. He's an assistant at Nashville. I remember him playing with the Devils. That came out of nowhere.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comm...oaching?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Phil Housley, who played 22 games for the Devils late in the 1995-96 season, is at the top of general manager Ray Shero's short list to become the club's next head coach.

Shero has done an extensive search to find the right coach for the Devils, considering Guy Boucher of SC Bern in Switzerland, Washington Capitals assistant coach Todd Reirden and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton AHL coach John Hynes, but Housley has emerged as the leading choice.

Housley, 51, is currently an assistant coach with the Nashville Predators under Peter Laviolette. The Predators were knocked out of the playoffs this year by the Chicago Blackhawks in six games.

He coached Team USA to the gold medal at the 2013 world junior championships in Ufa, Russia.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I find Housley extremely intriguing... I don't know anything about his coaching philosophy but if you look at the pieces of the puzzle it's an interesting picture...

A no defense offensive Dman as a player who put up a tremendous amount of points...

Coaching for team USA and Nashville, two places that have been known for structured play and discipline...

I don't know enough but my curiosity is peaked.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
If he had a big impact on Roman Josi/Seth Jones/etc then you have to be excited about him working with our guys

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I have a hard time believing Chere though. He tries to hard to get the "scoop" sometimes.

That's just it - every article I find points to Chere as the source. until someone more credible also says Housley is a leading candidate I take it with a grain of salt.

That said - not opposed to Housley but don't know much about him admittedly.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
God Housley was horrible here when he played for us. Thanks Chere for bringing up that awful memory.

My 2 cents is that Ray wants someone with NHL assisting experience. Hynes' lack of that is gonna hold him back. Think Reirden/Housely as HC and Hynes and Stevens as assistants. I could get on board with that scenario.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I was impressed with what I thought Housley brought to Team USA and Nashville. The teams he coached had discipline and structure and I believe he worked well with young defensemen like Seth Jones. From what I know of his coaching, I would be pleased if he was made the Devils next head coach. I think that he could be a good fit here.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Interesting write up on Phil Houlsey on the Preds site.

Phil Housley enters his second season as an assistant coach for the Nashville Predators in 2014-15 with his primary responsibilities being to run the team’s up-and-coming defensive corps and head up the power play. In his first season behind an NHL bench in 2013-14, the fourth-highest scoring blueliner in NHL history mentored the youngest group of defensemen in the League (24.02 years), helping Shea Weber and Roman Josi attain career offensive numbers while further developing rising young talent Ryan Ellis and rookies Seth Jones, Mattias Ekholm and Victor Bartley. Housley also oversaw marked improvement on the man-advantage, as the power play rose to 12th in the NHL at 19.2 percent in his first season at its helm.

Since entering the coaching ranks in 2004, Housley helped USA Hockey reach new heights, highlighted by a gold medal-winning performance at the 2013 World Junior Championship with a team that included Jones and Predators 2012 third-round pick Jimmy Vesey. He’s also served as an assistant at five other international competitions, helping the U.S. National Team earn bronze medals at the 2013 World Championship and both the 2007 and 2011 World Junior Championships, while also serving behind the bench at the 2014 World Championship, alongside new Predators Head Coach Peter Laviolette, and the 2011 edition of the tournament. He was also one of two head coaches for the inaugural CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game in 2012.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36988

Seems like he is a mix of Hynes (with less international experience) and Reirden with his Dman and PP work.

All have some form of HC experience whether it be international or AHL.

Lots of different and interesting names coming out so far.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Houlsey is an interesting choice. NSH talent is in the back end like us (much better though). If he made Josi, Jones, and Ekholm better than I would welcome him with Larsson, Severson, Merrill, and Gelinas.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comm...oaching?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Phil Housley, who played 22 games for the Devils late in the 1995-96 season, is at the top of general manager Ray Shero's short list to become the club's next head coach.

Shero has done an extensive search to find the right coach for the Devils, considering Guy Boucher of SC Bern in Switzerland, Washington Capitals assistant coach Todd Reirden and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton AHL coach John Hynes, but Housley has emerged as the leading choice.

Housley, 51, is currently an assistant coach with the Nashville Predators under Peter Laviolette. The Predators were knocked out of the playoffs this year by the Chicago Blackhawks in six games.

He coached Team USA to the gold medal at the 2013 world junior championships in Ufa, Russia.

This article has no references or even any quotes. It has zero legitimacy.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
This article has no references or even any quotes. It has zero legitimacy.

Yeah, I don't exactly trust chere without any backing. Obviously don't know much about housley coaching wise. Don't think I would be opposed to it though. Here's another thing, I see people often bringing up hynes leaving the Pittsburgh organization to come to NJ as an assistant.....do you really think he would do that if not a HC position????

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Yeah, I don't exactly trust chere without any backing. Obviously don't know much about housley coaching wise. Don't think I would be opposed to it though. Here's another thing, I see people often bringing up hynes leaving the Pittsburgh organization to come to NJ as an assistant.....do you really think he would do that if not a HC position????

Tough call. I mean if he is good friends with Shero and because he was skipped over for the last HC job with Pitt maybe. But in all likely hood he is going to get the next HC job in Pitt which could be mid-season next year so who knows.

Then again having been an NHL assistant does help when you interview for future HC jobs. Some teams look for that and he could get that from us at the very least.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
If Housley is the candidate, I dont understand why not just give Stevens the opportunity to prove his value as a head coach. If he wants it that is. Let Housley cut his teeth elsewhere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Housley is the candidate, I dont understand why not just give Stevens the opportunity to prove his value as a head coach. If he wants it that is. Let Housley cut his teeth elsewhere.

I wouldn't imagine Stevens would even be here if Housley became the head coach, I'm pretty sure they both have their ideas of how defense should be run and Stevens left in part last offseason cause he wanted more of a say in how the D was being run.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't imagine Stevens would even be here if Housley became the head coach, I'm pretty sure they both have their ideas of how defense should be run and Stevens left in part last offseason cause he wanted more of a say in how the D was being run.

I am sure it will depend on what Housley wants from his D. If they both want the same thing maybe it could work.

Honestly NSH D is so good I am sorta excited with the idea of getting Housely. He seems to have earned a HC position from what he has already done with that group of D.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Houselys success with Josi and Jones I think puts him over the edge with Stevens, we NEED Larsson and Severson to be on that level and hopefully past it.

The thought that Housely can get them there is a huge advantage for him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Houselys success with Josi and Jones I think puts him over the edge with Stevens, we NEED Larsson and Severson to be on that level and hopefully past it.

The thought that Housely can get them there is a huge advantage for him.

Jones will be a multiple Norris winner by the time his career is over. I don't think anyone should expect that from Larsson or Severson.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Jones will be a multiple Norris winner by the time his career is over. I don't think anyone should expect that from Larsson or Severson.

talk about hyperbole.

as long as Subban, KArlson, Weber, Keith, Hedman, and Doughty are around, he isn't winning anything.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
talk about hyperbole.

as long as Subban, KArlson, Weber, Keith, Hedman, and Doughty are around, he isn't winning anything.

At 20 years old he was NSH best player this year's playoffs. Jones will breakout next season. COL going to regret not taking him #1 overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad