Speculation: Our Next Head Coach II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well almost all the dominos have fell.

Let's recap. Babcock left Detroit for an insane contract in Toronto. Mclellen went to Edmonton. Petey boy went to San Jose. Hitch is staying in St. Louis, and now it seems Disco Dan is destined for Buffalo.

All that is left is Detroit who seems to be set on Balshill. Boston and whether they fire Julian, and finally The Devils.

With Disco Dan seemingly off the market the last realistic options are Guy Boucher, Hynes, the Penguins AHL coach, and a dark horse Reirdan, currently an assistant in Washington.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Well i guess that answer's that.

This leads me to believe if we want Hynes we are giving up a pick.

Rutherford essentially believes that a team should receive compensation if an employee who is still under contract willingly leaves to become a general manager, president or head coach of another team. He isn’t in favor or receiving compensation for people who he has already dismissed. Then again, draft picks are a valuable thing.

News/views: Sabres hire Bylsma as coach - DK on Pittsburgh Sports

He does say in the article that they took compensation for Bylsma because Boston took it for Chiarelli.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If he's hired before May ends, it will be Paul MacLean.

It's the Bleedred curse of May 2015.

Him or Oates.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Gulitti seems to think it could be Reirden as the HC and Hynes as his assistant. He's mentioned it several times.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Gulitti seems to think it could be Reirden as the HC and Hynes as his assistant. He's mentioned it several times.

Wouldnt much matter. Would still have to pay a price for hiring Hynes. Also is Reirden still under contract with Washington? If this comp. thing is going around I'm not sure im cool with losing 2 picks for 2 coaches.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wouldnt much matter. Would still have to pay a price for hiring Hynes. Also is Reirden still under contract with Washington? If this comp. thing is going around I'm not sure im cool with losing 2 picks for 2 coaches.

Wouldn't that just be our luck too. Right when we need picks we have to give one or two up for coaches.:laugh:

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005

Why would there be compensation for promoting a guy who holds a lower position in is current organization? That is absurd.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
af675dfc-4fe9-4b85-a821-adad15a66803_TVASPORTS_WEB.jpg

What all this compensation? Hire me, not need to compensate!

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If we hire Hynes, Pittsburgh will ask for compensation.

Lou/Ray may ask for a 3rd from SJ to offset the 3rd we would inevitably lose to PIT. Despite what TG is reporting.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Is this garbage standard NHL practice? To impede the careers of your lower-level employees and (even worse) people you fire?

I see Boston did this. What other teams have no class?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Is this garbage standard NHL practice? To impede the careers of your lower-level employees and (even worse) people you fire?

I see Boston did this. What other teams have no class?

DET asked for a pick for Babcock

BOS asked for a pick for Chiarelli

SJ asked for a pick for McLellan

PIT asked for a pick for Bylsma

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
How did that work? Didn't Babcock's contract expire?
No, Detroit explicitly allowed teams to talk to him before his contract expired just so they could ask for compensation if someone chose to extend him an offer in that window. Someone did.

Pittsburgh didn't ask for a pick for Shero.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is a 3rd round pick the going rate? Whats the max they can ask for and does the hiring team have any ability to negotiate the pick?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is a 3rd round pick the going rate? Whats the max they can ask for and does the hiring team have any ability to negotiate the pick?

I believe it depends when it happens. I think a third in the offseason. It is more if it is during the season and they are still under contract.

And I said that this could become standard practice and it is. Shero was the exception. It is really stupid because it does interfere with people's careers.

It also means Shero needs to get compensation for Pete, and if Oates gets an assistant job get compensation for him too (if he is still under contract, its Lou so who knows on that front).

The whole thing is stupid, but if everyone is going to ask we have no choice but to follow through because it severely limits our choices to avoid situations that could result in compensation.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
DET asked for a pick for Babcock

BOS asked for a pick for Chiarelli

SJ asked for a pick for McLellan

PIT asked for a pick for Bylsma

DET and SJ lost their coaches to a division rival, PIT to a conference rival. BOS were pretty much just being *****.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I believe it depends when it happens. I think a third in the offseason. It is more if it is during the season and they are still under contract.

And I said that this could become standard practice and it is. Shero was the exception. It is really stupid because it does interfere with people's careers.

It also means Shero needs to get compensation for Pete, and if Oates gets an assistant job get compensation for him too (if he is still under contract, its Lou so who knows on that front).

The whole thing is stupid, but if everyone is going to ask we have no choice but to follow through because it severely limits our choices to avoid situations that could result in compensation.

I find it funny Pittsburgh doesn't ask for compensation for Shero but ****s over the Sabres.

I guess the respect for Lou and the Devils can go a long way.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How did that work? Didn't Babcock's contract expire?

His contract didn't expire until June 29th. DET let other teams negotiate while he was still Red Wing property, so they were able to get a 3rd for him.

Buffalo didn't have a 3rd in 2015, but they were able to convince PIT to take VAN's 3rd in 2016 instead. Buffalo owns four 3rds in 2016 and that's the one them and PIT agreed to.

In that way it's unlike an offer sheet, where you have to give your team's original picks. So apparently there's some level of negotiation.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I find it funny Pittsburgh doesn't ask for compensation for Shero but ****s over the Sabres.

Rutherford might of gotten some heat from upstairs after Boston asked for compensation. Maybe realized being respectful to your former employees isn't the way things work now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

The Penguins will receive a 2016 third-round draft pick from Buffalo for Bylsma, who had a year left on his contract in Pittsburgh. If you are wondering why the Penguins wanted compensation from the Sabres for Bylsma, but didn't seek it from the Devils for Ray Shero, though both had been fired, Josh Yohe of DK on Pittsburgh Sports asked Penguins GM Jim Rutherford that question.

It essentially was because Boston sought compensation from Edmonton for hiring Peter Chiarelli as their GM after the Bruins fired him.

Rutherford had previously believed that asking for compensation for someone who had been fired went against the spirit of the NHL rules. The Chiarelli situation, "changed everything,†Rutherford said. “From that point, we decided we were going to ask for compensation in a similar situation.â€

Of the Devils not seeking compensation for San Jose hiring DeBoer, Rutherford said, "“Maybe they didn’t ask for compensation because we didn’t ask them for compensation when they got Ray. We knew about them and Ray for many weeks. We didn’t want to interfere.â€

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...y-sabres-no-impact-on-devils-search-1.1344588

I guess because the Shero thing happened before Chiarelli was hired they didn't care, but now PIT is going to be an ass going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad