Our KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishonen91

Jun 22, 2012
And not one single hockey team in Austria plays in a modern and big arena while most German teams do. That is a lot of potential money lost for the Austrians... (Cologne, Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Mannheim all have a budget way higher than Vienna, in fact of the 14 DEL teams only Augsburg has less than Vienna in 2013).

Vienna's Albert Schultz Halle is not modern? Weird. I always thought having a 9k modern ice skating rink is "modern".

Vienna plays in an inferior league to DEL so there is no reason to have a budget higher than any DEL team actually.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Vienna's Albert Schultz Halle is not modern? Weird. I always thought having a 9k modern ice skating rink is "modern".

Vienna plays in an inferior league to DEL so there is no reason to have a budget higher than any DEL team actually.

Alber Schultz Eishalle is just an ice skating arena like the ones in Straubing or Ingolstadt (just a little bigger). But it's not high standard as big multipurpose arenas like the ones in Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne, Hannover, Krefeld, Düsseldorf, Mannheim, Nürnberg etc. Even 2. Bundesliga arenas like the ones in Dresden or Bietigheim are of a higher level than Viennas arena.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Would be great to see Jokerit that way but I guess it would be blocked as Viasat seems to be having the KHL-rights here. Maybe they could add it through Viaplay or something.

Edit. But I'm sure that new Viasat Finland Hockey tv channel will focus in Jokerit games --> more buyers for the channel obviously

Thell probably do it like Viasat Sport Baltic did it here,show all Jokerit games and all KHL clubs that have finnish players or something like that.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Just a few things in my mind:

* Ditch IIHF mid-season breaks (continue ending season prior WC)
* Use these breaks to play additional round of 12 regular season games (played within division)
* Increase limit of foreigners for Russian teams to 7-8 players
* Increase minimum team salary budget by some 15-20%
* Minimum player wages should stay where they are
* Improve marketing (a lot good things have been done over the last 5 years, but improvement must continue)
* Stop changing league format and rules year-by-year
* Limit KHL officials talking nonsense and sharing with marginal ideas publicly (a task for the PR)
* Forget about creating an "Asian division". Who needs it? I doubt there's any sustainable market there
* Expansion should be limited to countries with decent hockey tradition and cities of decent size (Milan is fine, Vilnius or Beijing is not)
* Stricter regulation on teams being salary cap compliant
* Never switch to NHL ice size

Obviously, with FHR using the role they have, most of this won't happen in the foreseeable future.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

* Ditch IIHF mid-season breaks (continue ending season prior WC)
* Use these breaks to play additional round of 12 regular season games (played within division)
* Increase minimum team salary budget by some 15-20%
* Minimum player wages should stay where they are
* Improve marketing (a lot good things have been done over the last 5 years, but improvement must continue)
* Limit KHL officials talking nonsense and sharing with marginal ideas publicly (a task for the PR)
* Forget about creating an "Asian division". Who needs it? I doubt there's any sustainable market there
* Expansion should be limited to countries with decent hockey tradition and cities of decent size (Milan is fine, Vilnius or Beijing is not)
* Stricter regulation on teams being salary cap compliant

Obviously, with FHR using the role they have, most of this won't happen in the foreseeable future.

that wont be a problem.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne

The thing with Asia really is a stupid idea and I guess it's only because of Khabarovsk/Vladivostok being so isolated. If Asians want to have top hockey in their countries they have everything there to improve their own "Asia League Ice Hockey" which I think is an interesting idea and competition. Look at other sports in this region like soccer of baseball - the Asians don't need Russians/Western Europeans to help them create big and nice leagues.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Also hope that teams like Novokuznetsk,vitjaz,cherepovets and the like get thrown out.

I don't like your choice of words.

And let's see: Telegin, Kitsyn, Orlov, Trubachev, Kagarlitskiy, Chudinov, Alexandrov, Kiselevich, Shipachev, Buchnevich, then there is a certain Vezina winner. Looks like Novokuznetsk and Cherepovets are producing more hockey talent than the whole country of Latvia. So I think it is strange to hear from a latvian fan those teams should be "thrown out". I rather think it's a bad joke.

Btw, those are the teams I always cheer for during the season. I have no idea what quilifies Riga to stay in the league instead of those teams.

I will hardly watch any of Medveshchak games though. Same goes for boring Lev. And I'm not claiming they should be "thrown out".

Babula

May 31, 2012
Btw, those are the teams I always cheer for during the season. I have no idea what quilifies Riga to stay in the league instead of those teams.

I will hardly watch any of Medveshchak games though. Same goes for boring Lev. And I'm not claiming they should be "thrown out".

Because they are an other countries clubs and KHL is going to be "European League" ??? not mostly Russian as it still is... IMO

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I don't like your choice of words.

And let's see: Telegin, Kitsyn, Orlov, Trubachev, Kagarlitskiy, Chudinov, Alexandrov, Kiselevich, Shipachev, Buchnevich, then there is a certain Vezina winner. Looks like Novokuznetsk and Cherepovets are producing more hockey talent than the whole country of Latvia. So I think it is strange to hear from a latvian fan those teams should be "thrown out". I rather think it's a bad joke.

Better marketing,better arena,better city,better broadcasting quality, these are things i put before making talents because KHL is not a developmental league. Simple,again if your only case for those teams is "but they make talents" then just move them to VHL.
Lets be honest here those cities are poor. And europeans wont be attracted to city like Novokuznetsk for exapmple.
And the best thing? It will probably go my way,not yours if i understand the indications and hints medvedev is giving.
You are still stuck in RSL way of thinking.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Just a stupid idea. We don't need a foreigners league for our sheer entertainment like the Americans at the cost of losing our own hockey school. We are no Germans.

Inevitable at the beginning. The NHL also has gone through a lot of changing.

There is a very sustainable market there. The only concern is the geography.

All for it. Give me Togliatti and Samara, cut Zagreb, Milan and Vilnius. I hope you see the point.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
My dream is that KHL is no longer in the near future. Big chance this happens aswell me thinks. I know I wouldn't pour my money into something that has no chance, whatsoever, on being profitable. Ever. I give it ten years, max.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
My dream is that KHL is no longer in the near future. Big chance this happens aswell me thinks. I know I wouldn't pour my money into something that has no chance, whatsoever, on being profitable. Ever. I give it ten years, max.

Well you can dream,but it wont happen.:laugh:

Babula

May 31, 2012

a big fat yes.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Well you can dream,but it wont happen.:laugh:

This thread is for dreams, right? :) But, yeah, I think it's a very plausible thought though. Just can't see why would anyone waste their money like that. And yes I do realize it's just pennies for these billionaires, but still they didn't become rich by making unprofitable business moves.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

What a dream!

To be honest, I discussed with a couple of guys in 2008, who claimed the KHL will collapse within a 5 yrs. The period gone, KHL is still here. The same guys claimed in 2008 that no cz/svk/fin/swe/ger/sui club joins KHL. As we know, cz/svk is in KHL, fin on his way.

Jussi, fan of Jokerit, claimed for a year or so - no chance, no finnish club in KHL. Look at Jokerit website - "we are playing KHL in 14/15"

I think all was said.

EDIT:
it is only a dream, I am fine with it.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
What a dream!

To be honest, I discussed with a couple of guys in 2008, who claimed the KHL will collapse within a 5 yrs. The period gone, KHL is still here. The same guys claimed in 2008 that no cz/svk/fin/swe/ger/sui club joins KHL. As we know, cz/svk is in KHL, fin on his way.

Jussi, fan of Jokerit, claimed for a year or so - no chance, no finnish club in KHL. Look at Jokerit website - "we are playing KHL in 14/15"

I think all was said.

EDIT:
it is only a dream, I am fine with it.

Exactly,astonishing how KHL still remains,huh?:laugh:

VladNYC*

Keep dreaming! :laugh:

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Just a stupid idea. We don't need a foreigners league for our sheer entertainment like the Americans at the cost of losing our own hockey school. We are no Germans.
7-8 players instead of 5 wouldn't make the KHL another DEL. :) In the same time, it would allow to attract better quality players, raise competitiveness, as you could get more quality foreigners for a price possibly lower than of an overpaid (because of the foreigner rule) quality Russian.

I can see that poorer clubs would tend to bring in some random foreign 3rd-liners over a Russian just to fill the roster holes, but I think there is much more to gain than to lose.

After all, I'm trying to think of ways that would make KHL a stronger, more stable league (which is the direction I am sensing the league wants to go), not a more suitable place for the young Russian players to grow in.

Having an Asian division would be similar to Zagreb - clubs filled with North Americans, of whom a bunch would be of Asian descent. Just because there are a lot of people living in China/South Korea/Japan doesn't mean they could fill the arena and seal notable broadcasting deals. That would be similar to establishing a MLB team in Moscow - nobody would care about it.

And, yeah, I would also rather see Samara and Togliatti in the KHL than Milan.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Better marketing,better arena,better city,better broadcasting quality, these are things i put before making talents because KHL is not a developmental league. Simple,again if your only case for those teams is "but they make talents" then just move them to VHL.
Lets be honest here those cities are poor. And europeans wont be attracted to city like Novokuznetsk for exapmple.
And the best thing? It will probably go my way,not yours if i understand the indications and hints medvedev is giving.
You are still stuck in RSL way of thinking.

Gotcha! I hoped you'd come up with this. It's all about talent and talent alone. What makes a league the best league in the world is the talent pool of players in it, not the shiny arenas. You can bulid an arena and install the best equipment in a year, you can buils up marketing in a year, but you can't build a hockey school from a scratch in 10 years. The league is also about tradition. The only reason I support the idea of Dinamo Riga in the KHL is tradition and the latvian hockey school. Dinamo Riga is a brand with identity, but so are Kuznya or Cherepovets. That's what makes them heart and soul teams, fun to watch.

Should there be more minimum requirements increses for participation, like arena capcity, HD and so on? yes, gradually, without forcing teams out. The game comes first, than comes the money and the polishing of the product.

btw don't deal in absolutes. you shouldn't assume to know where I am "stuck". But I'm amazed by how quickly ppl get overconfident to bash everything russian(RSL) not recognizing that without the KHL which is whether you like it or not is a russian product and built upon the RSL you'd be stuck with a latvian championship, hardly suitable for deveoping high grade hockey and pretty much every latvian player worth knowing would be playing abroad and not in front of the home fans.

P.S. You probably don't even see how you quickly climb the high horse. The "better city" or "poor cities" remark for example. I visit Riga quite often. My perception: neat provincial baltic-german city with soviet influenced outskirts. I don't really get the point why it's better than any other city in the KHL. You can't call it "rich" either.

"europeans wont be attracted to city like Novokuznetsk". what ist it? European chauvinism? What are "europeans" in this? Some better human beings which you should die to attract? Why? We are all equal, don't you forget that, even if you have that ridic museum in Riga. The league shouldn't care if "europeans" or "asians" are paying for Novokuznetsk hockey.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
GX;68403193[B said:
]7-8 players instead of 5 wouldn't make the KHL another DEL[/B]. :) In the same time, it would allow to attract better quality players, raise competitiveness, as you could get more quality foreigners for a price possibly lower than of an overpaid (because of the foreigner rule) quality Russian.

I can see that poorer clubs would tend to bring in some random foreign 3rd-liners over a Russian just to fill the roster holes, but I think there is much more to gain than to lose.

After all, I'm trying to think of ways that would make KHL a stronger, more stable league (which is the direction I am sensing the league wants to go), not a more suitable place for the young Russian players to grow in.

Having an Asian division would be similar to Zagreb - clubs filled with North Americans, of whom a bunch would be of Asian descent. Just because there are a lot of people living in China/South Korea/Japan doesn't mean they could fill the arena and seal notable broadcasting deals. That would be similar to establishing a MLB team in Moscow - nobody would care about it.

And, yeah, I would also rather see Samara and Togliatti in the KHL than Milan.
No, but it would be right now a step in that direction. Bold is for a reason.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Gotcha! I hoped you'd come up with this. It's all about talent and talent alone. What makes a league the best league in the world is the talent pool of players in it, not the shiny arenas. You can bulid an arena and install the best equipment in a year, you can buils up marketing in a year, but you can't build a hockey school from a scratch in 10 years. The league is also about tradition. The only reason I support the idea of Dinamo Riga in the KHL is tradition and the latvian hockey school. Dinamo Riga is a brand with identity, but so are Kuznya or Cherepovets. That's what makes them heart and soul teams, fun to watch.

Should there be more minimum requirements increses for participation, like arena capcity, HD and so on? yes, gradually, without forcing teams out. The game comes first, than comes the money and the polishing of the product.

btw don't deal in absolutes. you shouldn't assume to know where I am "stuck". But I'm amazed by how quickly ppl get overconfident to bash everything russian(RSL) not recognizing that without the KHL which is whether you like it or not is a russian product and built upon the RSL you'd be stuck with a latvian championship, hardly suitable for deveoping high grade hockey and pretty much every latvian player worth knowing would be playing abroad and not in front of the home fans.

P.S. You probably don't even see how you quickly climb the high horse. The "better city" or "poor cities" remark for example. I visit Riga quite often. My perception: neat provincial baltic-german city with soviet influenced outskirts. I don't really get the point why it's better than any other city in the KHL. You can't call it "rich" either.

"europeans wont be attracted to city like Novokuznetsk". what ist it? European chauvinism? What are "europeans" in this? Some better human beings which you should die to attract? Why? We are all equal, don't you forget that, even if you have that ridic museum in Riga. The league shouldn't care if "europeans" or "asians" are paying for Novokuznetsk hockey.

I will answer to this long drizzle simple,you can make as much talents as you want,but they will all flee to NHL,because you know why? Because NHL is THE MOST polished hockey product on earth,thats the reason everyone flocks to it,do you really think level of play is the main reason NHL is on the top? No,its because of the superior marketing,better arenas and cities.

No young Kuznetsov or Yakupov wants to spend his career in arena which capacity is about 5000 and city itself doesnt give two ***** about hockey.

Oh and why should KHL care to attract europeans? well simple they just have MORE money to spend than russians.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Keep dreaming! :laugh:

Yeah I'll keep dreaming. Or perhaps dreaming is a bit too big of a word in my case, since the NHL is and always will be the biggest league and SM-liiga has been nothing but a top-european league from its' beginning and the KHL is not changing either of those facts. Let's just say that I hope that the KHL folds. Having a hard time to even try and committ alot of feelings in this whole hockey scene anymore, now that I'm a family man and all :) You guys will realize when you mature a bit set up a family and so on. Hockey will always be close to heart but it's no longer a subject worth debating over the internet. Would love to get a chance to talk about the KHL with a russian fan over a beer or two, though. The only two russians I know only care about music and booze unfortunately :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad