Our KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If we talk about dreams .. FHR/MHL to ban transfers U18 players to abroad. That would solve many problems.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If we talk about dreams .. FHR/MHL to ban transfers U18 players to abroad. That would solve many problems.

Would make it closed country like North Korea for ages under 18 who play hockey basicly.. wouldn't talk about dream situation.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Would make it closed country like North Korea for ages under 18 who play hockey basicly.. wouldn't talk about dream situation.

Are you comparing Canada with North Korea? Are you comparing EU (including Finland) to North Korea?

Just to remind you

1) FIFA/FIBA banned international transfers U18 players (with exceptions if family moved to aboard or movement within EU) I can give you court decision of CAS if you want. The court said in one case (which I studied) that some 15-16 yrs old South American player (Peru or so) breached FIFA rules when he transfered to spanish club. Court said - you have to go home.

2) Hockey Canada banned international transfers of players, who are younger than 18 (someone claims that ban is for U20 as well - not for NHL/CHL), to abroad.

Plus no development fee in hockey (you have it in basketball and football).

All info from transfer rules, baylaws of FIBA/FIFA/IIHF/Hockey Canada. You can verify it whenever you want.

I will not agrue if you claim Canada, EU = North Korea. ;)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Are you comparing Canada with North Korea? Are you comparing EU (including Finland) to North Korea?

Just to remind you

1) FIFA/FIBA banned international transfers U18 players (with exceptions if family moved to aboard or movement within EU) I can give you court decision of CAS if you want. The court said in one case (which I studied) that some 15-16 yrs old South American player (Peru or so) breached FIFA rules when he transfered to spanish club. Court said - you have to go home.

2) Hockey Canada banned international transfers of players, who are younger than 18 (someone claims that ban is for U20 as well - not for NHL/CHL), to abroad.

Plus no development fee in hockey (you have it in basketball and football).

All info from transfer rules, baylaws of FIBA/FIFA/IIHF/Hockey Canada. You can verify it whenever you want.

I will not agrue if you claim Canada, EU = North Korea. ;)

Well guess not then, but it sure is stupid.. It kinda decides where man, even if underage, should live and that's wrong.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
No it would not.

Just make 14 year old players to sign 4-5 year contracts with their junior clubs. If a player refuses he cannot continue playing organized hockey in Russia but he is still free to move abroad .

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Well guess not then, but it sure is stupid.. It kinda decides where man, even if underage, should live and that's wrong.

Like it or not, but it works like that in football, basketball. I see no reason why not in hockey. You know, underagers can not do such important decisions like moving from country. The rules should protect them (or there is none example that moving abroad hurted the kid? At least I can tell story whole days). And the rules should protect small clubs/leagues (because wealthy can lure best players and small clubs has nothing), to find balance. Or do you think the status quo in hockey is healthy? Btw, I dont want ban without exceptions. Another thing must be fixed as well - mechanism of development fee. Hockey is sole collective sport which does not have it. Do you consider it as good for growing the game?

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
There should be no teams east to Novosibirsk. They have more cons than pros in decades to come. Mythical "East Asian hockey markets" and "20,000 passionate fans in Khabarovsk" aren't serious arguments.

The thing is that the KHL isn't exactly a market-oriented league either, so those teams won't go anyway any time soon.

Still, I hope it won't take much time to get rid of tiny "blue collar" markets with faceless teams that will never bring anything interesting to the table.

Burner99

Sep 9, 2011
Like it or not, but it works like that in football, basketball. I see no reason why not in hockey. You know, underagers can not do such important decisions like moving from country. The rules should protect them (or there is none example that moving abroad hurted the kid? At least I can tell story whole days). And the rules should protect small clubs/leagues (because wealthy can lure best players and small clubs has nothing), to find balance. Or do you think the status quo in hockey is healthy? Btw, I dont want ban without exceptions. Another thing must be fixed as well - mechanism of development fee. Hockey is sole collective sport which does not have it. Do you consider it as good for growing the game?

It can hurt a player, but it could also help him. Maybe in Russia Player development is not a problem, but I don't think Thomas Vanek would have become this good if he stayed in Austria and refused to move to the USA when he was 14.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Fantasy Land

I will not pretend that I know a lot about European hockey, but I'd like to see a European league that rivals the NHL. But it is going to take a long time and a shift away from mainly being a Russian League.

My dream KHL, would merge with the rest of the top elite European leagues. This is the only way for all leagues to remain strong and financially secure. My dream league has a twist, it is not just all those teams in one league or a super league that is just the champion of each country playing in a tournament together.

I would want to see conferences or divisions set up by region with annual promotion and relegation at the division level, not league level. We all know in each league there is a top tier of teams that has the money to compete every year and some that barely survive, and some in the middle.

I'll use Germany as an example. There are 5-6 top tier clubs, only 4 teams have won in the past 10 teams. So 5 German teams are invited and become the German Division of the KHL. The remaining 10 teams are the DEL. The DEL teams and Ger-KHL Div never play regular season games together. The DEL operates as it's own league, the Ger-KHL div. plays other KHL teams regular season and playoff.

Each season the team that finishes last in the Ger-KHL is relegated to the DEL and their champion is promoted into the Ger-KHL. Or there is a playoff round between those teams to decide who gets the spot in the KHL next season.

This could be done for Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Czech and Slovakia, and of course Russia. The numbers of team allowed in the KHL per country would depend on how many are financially secure, not an even 5 for each country. The current KHL might have 15-20 teams that can create the Eastern conference. The other Euro Elite league should have 15-20 to create the Western conference.

There could even be a couple of spots to cover 1 or 2 teams combined from AUS, DAN, NOR, etc. Their league champs could play each other to battle for those spots.

This would be better than relegation based on the entire league's standings because you wouldn't have to re-do the division alignment every year. There would always be 5 German teams.

I don't think it is worth putting teams in London, Paris, Rome just to have the big city name. Those countries don't support hockey enough and if there was a franchise serious enough to want to join the KHL they could petition to join one of the other country's elite league first and then earn promotion. Rome could easily join the Swiss league.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It can hurt a player, but it could also help him. Maybe in Russia Player development is not a problem, but I don't think Thomas Vanek would have become this good if he stayed in Austria and refused to move to the USA when he was 14.

No problem to move to US to study.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
I would love to see KHL NHL exhibition games again. SKA vs. NJD

SKA vs Carolina was a good one, there was a lot of fight and tension. But I'd prefer to watch figure skating than games like Phoenix vs Dinamo Riga. Players tried to avoid collisions more than figure skaters and smiled to each other as if it was Allstar game

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I just would like to post Western Conference. The league would have equal eastern conference

Western Conferfence:
Berlin
Hamburg
Munchen
London
Zurih
Helsinki
Tampere
Stockholm
Gothenburg
Paris
Oslo
Praha
Rome (team name: gladiators, arena name: colosseum)
Moscow
Moscow 2
Russia 3
Sounds good to me, although perhaps Zagreb should be considered for this conference if for no other reason their coming rivalries with Praha and Bratislava. I would without a doubt dump London from this list to fit them in there, although England has had touring teams with agreements with NHL teams in the far past. The Paris team would be like during the Original-6 when at times i believe french canadians made good money there compared to the minors in north america. Obviously it looks like Milano might be the italian team as well, not Rome.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
SKA vs Carolina was a good one, there was a lot of fight and tension. But I'd prefer to watch figure skating than games like Phoenix vs Dinamo Riga. Players tried to avoid collisions more than figure skaters and smiled to each other as if it was Allstar game

That's why you don't play Riga in such games. You need a KHL club whose managers want to prove something and are ready to pay their players bonuses for winning in order to do that. SKA was a perfect fit.

VladNYC*

Rangers vs Magnitka for the Victoria cup was a great game too. Mettalurg was up by 3 goals and decided to sit on the lead and blew it.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
There should be no teams east to Novosibirsk. They have more cons than pros in decades to come. Mythical "East Asian hockey markets" and "20,000 passionate fans in Khabarovsk" aren't serious arguments.

The thing is that the KHL isn't exactly a market-oriented league either, so those teams won't go anyway any time soon.

Still, I hope it won't take much time to get rid of tiny "blue collar" markets with faceless teams that will never bring anything interesting to the table.

Khabarovsk itself has produced a lot of notable Russian talent (e.g., Mogilniy, who was a superstar in the NHL). The KHL and, of course, VHL, should have a presence in the Far East to generate interest in hockey and facilitate the development of new Mogilniys, who are no doubt out there.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Rangers vs Magnitka for the Victoria cup was a great game too. Mettalurg was up by 3 goals and decided to sit on the lead and blew it.

I remember that, I think Zherdev was still on the Rangers, how ironic. Other irony was when Phoenix beat Riga the guy who scored the GWG for Pheonix was Prucha who is now a KHL guy. And Carolina head coach who didn't have nice things to say after the SKA game later became coach of the KHL.. Lol

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Vienna will not play in the KHL, they simply can't afford it. Vienna's population is not quite fond of international hockey as well (as proved by the mediocre audiences in the European Trophy). A 7k arena will not make joining the KHL profitable.
The only Austrian club which has the financial capacities to join the KHL is Salzburg, and this won't happen because a) they'd need a new arena and b) Red Bull also has their Munich project in a city barely 100km from Salzburg with 10 times the inhabitants.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Vienna will not play in the KHL, they simply can't afford it. Vienna's population is not quite fond of international hockey as well (as proved by the mediocre audiences in the European Trophy). A 7k arena will not make joining the KHL profitable.
The only Austrian club which has the financial capacities to join the KHL is Salzburg, and this won't happen because a) they'd need a new arena and b) Red Bull also has their Munich project in a city barely 100km from Salzburg with 10 times the inhabitants.

Yeah the European Trophy is a real great spectacle. Not. No qualification system, no KHL teams, no home-and-home matchups. This is practically a pre-season schedule made into a championship that does not mean anything.
I have never really understood why an arena of 7000 would not work at least for a limited time. You put ticket prizes so that you fill the arena no matter how big or small it is. Not a cent above or under that. A smaller arena lets you put ticket prizes higher becouse demand would be higher, although i have to admit, it might not be that simple, but i would say not so far from the truth either.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Yeah the European Trophy is a real great spectacle. Not. No qualification system, no KHL teams, no home-and-home matchups. This is practically a pre-season schedule made into a championship that does not mean anything.
I have never really understood why an arena of 7000 would not work at least for a limited time. You put ticket prizes so that you fill the arena no matter how big or small it is. Not a cent above or under that. A smaller arena lets you put ticket prizes higher becouse demand would be higher, although i have to admit, it might not be that simple, but i would say not so far from the truth either.

Not the point. The quality of competition is a lot higher than in the EBEL. Most don't care about quality hockey.
Austrian hockey lives and falls by its' national rivalries. Vienna's arena is often sold out against Graz, Linz, Klagenfurt, Villach and Salzburg. Znojmo, Ljubljana and Szekesfehervar? Not so much. Part of the reason for this is, that a lot of fans of the Capitals "discovered" ice hockey as a weekday attraction when not being able to cheer on the 2 main football clubs of the city (not that that would be a bad thing, but it is what it is).
Put a team like Novokuzneck or Donbass (or heck, even Prague) in that arena. If there are 4000 people showing up, I'd be surprised.
Bolded part is really problematic for a team like the Caps who have no major company sponsoring them. They're not able to survive fiscally in the KHL, if they want to be anything more than the league's laughing stock. No thanks.

TemplateR

Jan 4, 2014
Dortmund
Hello,

I´m was only a reader, but I wanted now to join the discussion about KHL-Expansion and so on.
My KHL-League is more on european-side and have more Franchise-Teams instead of already traditional-Teams.

Well it would be like this:

- Club-Names like in the NHL*
- Minimum is 24 Teams, max. 32 Teams
- Division based on geographic location the clubs
- No commercials on Trikot
- much less commercials on the ice (advertising board is allowed)
- Arena with min. 12.000 seats

*It could be like this league (without division):

Western Conference
Amsterdam Admirals
Barcelona Dragons
London Monarchs
Scottisch Claymores
Frankfurt Galaxy
Oslo Vickings
Stockholm Mean Machine
Berlin Thunder
Bern Grizzlies
Vienna Knights
Copenhagen Towers
Rom Marines

Eastern Conference
Warschau Eagles
Moskau Patriots
Kiev Slav
Helsinki Roosters
Prag Panthers
Budapest Hurricans
Bukarest Warriors
Krakau Kings
Sochi Doplhins
Minsk Zubrs
St. Petersbutg Neva Lions

I hope someday, we have a KHL like this one^^

loppa*

Hello,

I´m was only a reader, but I wanted now to join the discussion about KHL-Expansion and so on.
My KHL-League is more on european-side and have more Franchise-Teams instead of already traditional-Teams.

Western Conference
Amsterdam Admirals
Barcelona Dragons
London Monarchs
Scottisch Claymores
Frankfurt Galaxy
Oslo Vickings
Stockholm Mean Machine
Berlin Thunder
Bern Grizzlies
Vienna Knights
Copenhagen Towers
Rom Marines

Eastern Conference
Warschau Eagles
Moskau Patriots
Kiev Slav
Helsinki Roosters
Prag Panthers
Budapest Hurricans
Bukarest Warriors
Krakau Kings
Sochi Doplhins
Minsk Zubrs

Hold on there skipper, what you want is a European Hockey League, in which only a few Russian teams take place. Do notice what the KHL is... it is a Russian League.

{Mod}

Last edited by a moderator:

TemplateR

Jan 4, 2014
Dortmund
Hold on there skipper, what you want is a European Hockey League, in which only a few Russian teams take place. Do notice what the KHL is... it is a Russian League.

{Mod}.... I wanted to tell my KHL-Vision^^

Anyway, the Alexander Medvedev wanted 64 teams, 32 Teams from Europe and 32 Teams from Asian. And why not call my vision for instance "KHL Europe" or somehting else?^^

The few Russian Teams could be in another League like the MHL/VHL or something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockeyfan31*

Hello,

Western Conference
Amsterdam Admirals
Barcelona Dragons
London Monarchs
Scottisch Claymores
Frankfurt Galaxy
Oslo Vickings
Stockholm Mean Machine
Berlin Thunder
Bern Grizzlies
Vienna Knights
Copenhagen Towers
Rom Marines

Eastern Conference
Warschau Eagles
Moskau Patriots
Kiev Slav
Helsinki Roosters
Prag Panthers
Budapest Hurricans
Bukarest Warriors
Krakau Kings
Sochi Doplhins
Minsk Zubrs

This post is wrong on so many levels it's almost scary :amazed:

Still let me get this right. Let's get rid of Russian teams that are richest and ones of best in Europe? Add teams in places they barely know what hockey is? Best part probably is team names. Not only make European teams with stupid NA junior league style names, but also replace already existing teams with something like St Petes Neva Lions and Stockholm Mean Machine? :laugh:

But hats off to you if you are being serious, sir. I don't think even some trolls could come up with masterpiece like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad