Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Plenty of Ranger fans have have expressed this fantasy, here and elsewhere on these boards. The narration is wholly theirs, and it's pretty amusing.

I chalk it up to seeing too any Marvel movies, the echo-chamber effect of social media, and not understanding what they see on the ice because that would require more effort than the usual bitching about refs and wanking to highlight reels.

Rather arrogant for a Carolina Hurricane fan whose avatar is a Willi Plett Minnesota North Star jersey.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I liked the way the Rangers PK played the Hurricanes d-men close and tight up on the blueline. That was really nice to see. Too many times a PK'ing team gives far too much space and time to the quarterbacking D up high, letting them think things up at their leisure. That kind of thing shows me that Lavi and coaching staff have the right attitude: confident and aggressive (and prevented the breakage of some items in my abode haha)

Rangers have their warts, like any team, but players are stepping up (Mika is maybe getting a fuller realization of just how better the outcome can be when he takes the direct approach by shooting instead of looking to pass?). At the lower end of the scale, if Roslovic has suddenly discovered over the last couple of weeks how to be more useful, that is very welcome. Rangers played confidently and effectively, IMO.

Loved the anti-deAngelo thing by the crowd.
Let's put that Hurricanes as seeming consensus favourites thing right where it belongs -- in the can marked 'G'

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think we sucked? I think we were pretty good. The Canes are an elite team. They are scary up front, on defense and in net.

I think most games will be like that, a long grind. The penalties killed the flow of the game yet again and there were some insane penalty call misses on the Hurricanes, including one where they had 9 players on the ice and one hopping over the bench...

Going 2/2 on the PP, scoring 2 goals in a total of 25 seconds against the best PK in the league and going 5/5 on the kill against the second best power play in the league... It was a good game for the Rangers.

I know this is pot calling kettle black but I'm pretty sure Crypto says we sucked after every game.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
GDT is up:

Reactions: Summer Rose

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
"jerks" "chaos" in the GDT (but mostly Piles and Debbies whining I guess lol)
iu

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A familiar and frustrating story. Outside observers want to point to a 5v5 system that doesn’t work in the postseason or goaltending or team toughness. Everyone has a favorite narrative. It’s really special teams. They’re now a net (of nets) -19 in the playoffs in those game situations under Rod. And he’s tried every combination to make the PP work. It is what is.

With that being said, they still have a shot here. The Rangers have blown a 2-0 series lead in consecutive postseasons. Last year’s saw their PP burn out against New Jersey after a similar red hot start. The Canes have won 3 or more home games in a series 6 times in this era, including one that saw them do a home sweep and win a Game 7 on the road (Washington 2019).

I would be surprised if Game 3 wasn’t a possession blowout and thus a 5v5 heavy game. They should bring their best with the season on the line and the crowd behind them.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
The Rangers have blown a 2-0 series lead in consecutive postseasons
Very different Rangers. Vs Tampa it was running out of gas and a lack of playoff experience. And they've specifically tried to address what happened last year. And at least Kochetkov's gotta turn up to prove to be his team's Akira first. Bc it doesn't seem to go that way at all for Andersen. Actually I think he's been a problem for the NYR tonight, yet let 4 in.

5v5 I can't comment. Supposedely it's a problem, but they've scored half of their goals at EV this series.

Reactions: Holocene and Siddi

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Very different Rangers. Vs Tampa it was running out of gas and a lack of playoff experience. And they've specifically tried to address what happened last year. And at least Kochetkov's gotta turn up to prove to be his team's Akira first. Bc it doesn't seem to go that way at all for Andersen. Actually I think he's been a problem for the NYR tonight, yet let 4 in.

5v5 I can't comment. Supposedely it's a problem, but they've scored half of their goals at EV this series.
It is a problem if only half of your goals are EV.
Not enough of a problem so far, though.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
PK-better. PP- starting to feel like all those years where we wish there was an option to decline it. Entertaining game. Totally still not worried.

Rather arrogant for a Carolina Hurricane fan whose avatar is a Willi Plett Minnesota North Star jersey.
:laugh: This makes absolutely no sense. Are you high?

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Something to improve on, but IMO it's really bad when you don't have enough looks - we've had quite a few nice ones I think.
And if your PP is good AND has the chance to show it...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
NY Rangers are extremely impressive so far.

6-0?

Sure they beat Caps who were outmatched in round 1 - but they did so without losing a single game. Most other top teams lost a game or two. And here they are up 2-0 now

Panarin - who historically has been disappointing in playoffs - may not be blowing it out of the water when it comes to # of points, but he has so far;

3 game winning goals
assist on the tying, and OT goal last night

They're really firing on all cylinders. Will be tough to beat this year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
In the regular season when large sample sizes matter, sure.

But this is the playoffs. Small sample sizes are king and who cares how your goals are scored. It's first to 16 wins and it doesn't matter how many of your goals are scored at 5v5 vs special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad