Post-Game Talk (GBU): Our GBU has the same Urgency as Dahlin tonight

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
- Eichel went beast mode in the 2nd. Wow.
- Power play is quite nice.
- 4th line has been so solid. Would like to see them pot one for their efforts.
- Mitts needs to be playing Rochester. We’ve seen this play out before.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Good:
-We may finally have the talent to put out2 scoring lines.
-Eichel
-Johansson
-Hutton
-A really nice job by the 3rd line (that’s what I’m calling the Larsson line now).
-Having scorers. Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Olofsson, Johansson up front plus Dahlin, on the back end gives us some legit firepower.

Bad:
-Dahlin had a rough game tonight.
-Scandella should be benched once someone comes back (any of Montour/Pilut/Bogosian).
-Inconsistent game, but that happens throughout a long season.

Ugly:
-Sobotka
-Mittelstadt line. He’s starting to become again invisible without Sheary playing Pittsburgh. But... should I expect much from our “4th Line center”

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Vesey, Mitts and Sobotka are literally trailing the play and are unable to insert themselves anywhere at anytime. These are not players who should currently be playing NHL minutes. Yet we have three playing in our top 9. With how good we have looked its exciting to imagine what can be with some proper roster moves.

We should not carry dead weight. Players on the bubble should not be having no hustle nights and lazy play. Look at what Okposo is doing - he is willing himself into plays and playing relentless.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The agony and the ecstasy. I was torn throughout the game-elation, anger, elation, anger---The Habs took advantage of the sloppy opportunities we gave them--hard working and opportunistic with just enough talent to give every team in the league trouble. But the Sabres won. Soon my heart rate will be down enough so I can sleep.

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
G
We're 3-0-1
We lead the NHL in scoring
Our Power Play is pretty ridiculous at the moment (I'm actually shocked when we don't score)

B
The overall mentality that has seeped into the GDTs; that if we aren't completely bulldozing the opposition for 60 straight minutes that we're playing like crap. The other team is trying to win, some have good players, some have good coaches, it's a thing.

U
Nothing. I wanna put Vladdy here, but the team's 4 game point streak to open the season buys a lot of good faith.

But Ralph, listen buddy, please don't let Vlad be in the top 4 among forward ice time in future games, I'd really appreciate it
- your buddy Fezzy126...

Last edited:

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I see someone commenting that 25 minutes for Risto is again too much and that he had a brutal gaff that lead to a GA. He's again being overused. That's not on him, he isn't going to tell the coach no when he calls his number. I don't see people hating him.

According to Evolving Wilds' data, Risto is a bit overused (not too badly though). However, Miller is underused and Dahlin is EXTREMELY underused, and they are both playing way better than expected

Honeymoon seems over for Jokiharju, his numbers are close to Risto/McCabe but with way less ice time

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Man Tage for Vlad needs to happen yesterday.
ERod/Asplund for Mitts unfortunately also needs to be tested and Mitts should spend considerable time in the AHL.
I had some expectations of Vesey as a player when there was news we got him. I shouldnt have, hes been brutal. Unfortunately I think hes gonna be in the lineup all year long (we dont have anyone better that is ready for the NHL).
Scandella to the bench please. Id take anyone of Pilut, Gilmour, Montour, Borgen over him in this roster. End the suffering for both sides.

Other than that, f*** yeah.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Not doing a GBU tonight, but my general thoughts:

-This game went exactly how I thought it would. Both teams putting high pressure on the other and creating a boatload of chances. Both teams controlled the game for stretches. A 3 point game here feels "fair".
-I feel like there's a book out on Hutton -- short side all day, every day. That's 3 times already he's cheated glove side and got sniped blocker side. He/Bales need to adjust.
-Holy cow that LOG line. I thought they'd be low-event both ways. Turns out, they're low event defensively and just fine offensively. I don't even care that they're not scoring -- every minute, every shot they create is time not spent in our own zone.
-Our PP1 is absolutely lethal.
-I loved what Kruger did in the OT. He had a plan. If the PP failed, he was putting Skinner/Olofsson out there and was coaching the two of them up.
-Why weren't more teams in on MoJo? How did we get this guy and not have to pay through the teeth?
-Vesey/Mittelstadt are wearing very thin on me. They will individually show something here and there, but they can't put it together. At all. Maybe put Sobotka with Mitts and E-Rod and try to contain the suck as much as possible? Vesey might be a good balance with Skinner and MoJo. The one thing Vesey has done quite well this season is battle for the puck along the boards.....could free up space for the other 2.
-The defense is exactly what I expected -- fantastic at moving the puck, but holy cow once they're hemmed in it's a tire fire.
-I am now concerned about our non-28/22 PK options. I desperately want Ralph to try Samson on the PK.
-Stop playing Risto so many freaking minutes. Please. The more he plays.....the less intelligent he becomes out there.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If you go into Montreals post game thread and read it, it looks like ours.

To them it look like we controlled play and to us it looks like they controlled play.

Reactions: Onslow

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Everyone last year:
Tage is a baby giraffe that can't play hockey. He needs to go down to Rochester yesterday.

Everyone after 4 games this year:
Tage needs to be called up yesterday.

Tage struggled and needed time in the A to dominate and earn a call up. He has been nothing short of dominant. He has 10 goals in 12 games. And a great camp. I know they probably want Tage to get more then a single game but he is doing the same thing he did last year after being sent down...dominating scoring hella goals.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Didn't catch this one and I'm kinda glad I didn't.. perfect sorta game to just get updates on and check the highlights later, if that makes sense.

We beat a team we'll likely be battling for a playoff spot (if all goes well)- woulda been nice to win it outright and avoid giving them a point, but shit, we won, I'll take it.

Hutton's short sider was weak af, in general I see Buffalo errors on all the MTL goals. Hopefully we can start eliminating those errors. Not sure it works in reverse- outside of Eichel's beauty of an unassisted goal where the D gave him way too much space I don't see any glaring issues on their part. That kinda gives me hope.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Wooooo!

7 of the first 8.

Dahlin with 6 points in 4. Eichel with 7. Olofsson with 4 goals. Skinner with 3. Mojo looks like the perfect 2C.

and we have the most lethal PP in the league. This is a top 5 offense. Cannot wait for Montour and Pilut to come back.
As a nucks and sabre fan tonight was awesome. Quinn an Olofsson may end up fighting for the calder. One thing that worries me about the sabres is the goalie situation.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Vesey, Mitts and Sobotka are literally trailing the play and are unable to insert themselves anywhere at anytime. These are not players who should currently be playing NHL minutes. Yet we have three playing in our top 9. With how good we have looked its exciting to imagine what can be with some proper roster moves.

We should not carry dead weight. Players on the bubble should not be having no hustle nights and lazy play. Look at what Okposo is doing - he is willing himself into plays and playing relentless.
I disagree with part of this

Its a new team for Vesey and a different system for both him and Mitts. Were literally not even 7 games into the season. Take it easy. Granted they both havent played the greatest, but to say Vesey shouldnt be playing NHL minutes, as a whole, when hes showed slight growth in his career in my opinion is a bit over the top. He couldnt get a good handle on the feed from Mittelstadt (forgot what period).

Put him with the right line mates, and then he aint dead weight.

Reactions: Zman5778

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Everyone last year:
Tage is a baby giraffe that can't play hockey. He needs to go down to Rochester yesterday.

Everyone after 4 games this year:
Tage needs to be called up yesterday.
You call him up and if he looks like a baby giraffe you send him down, no big deal. You are allowed to be flexible.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

I would try Mitts with Johansson and Skinner,Erod with Thompson and Sheary when he gets back.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What a frustrating team Montreal is. Extremely fast, hardworking, always passing, always connecting, always have their sticks on the ice, etc. Basically the polar opposite of the Sabres. Their system is basically "go fast, go fast, throw the puck to open space, go fast, get the puck, throw the puck at the net, go fast, get the puck, pass the puck, pass the puck, go fast, go fast, go fast". And it works. :laugh: I dunno how we ended up with the W tbh.

I dunno if Hutton had a good or bad game overall... but it had to be damn tough to goaltend with the way this team breaks down defensively at the worst times all while trying to follow Montreals systematic chaos. Respect to Hutton, he had some real game savers in there.

Dahlin had a real tough game. He and Eichel both try to slow the game down too much sometimes and it can get embarrassing when it doesn't work. Though Eichel seems to have a better handle on rebounding. Kinda wish he'd just learn to play that aggressive game for a full 60 instead of feeling the opponent out first and maybe getting there around the 30 minute mark, if at all.

Last edited:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
You call him up and if he looks like a baby giraffe you send him down, no big deal. You are allowed to be flexible.
Honestly, if Tage is coming up, it should be to bump Mittelstadt down and slide E-Rod over to center. He's not going to displace Sobotka in the lineup.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I see someone commenting that 25 minutes for Risto is again too much and that he had a brutal gaff that lead to a GA. He's again being overused. That's not on him, he isn't going to tell the coach no when he calls his number. I don't see people hating him.

Was that a gaff on Risto? I don't think so. The Canadiens player made a nice play by getting his stick involved as Risto was trying to clear the puck.

That happens all the time killing penalties but that took a bad bounce for us after the deflection.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Was that a gaff on Risto? I don't think so. The Canadiens player made a nice play by getting his stick involved as Risto was trying to clear the puck.

That happens all the time killing penalties but that took a bad bounce for us after the deflection.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about this one, but Risto has a guy on his back and in front of him, as well as the ref pinned on the boards. I have no problem with him trying to clear up the middle here, it literally what you're taught to do.

upload_2019-10-10_7-53-45.png

It was a nice stick by Suzuki to get a piece, and a bit of luck, hat tip to them... If he doesn't get a piece of Risto's stick it's either an easy clear or an odd man break for us (check out how many Habs are caught down low).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad