Post-Game Talk (GBU): Our GBU has the same Urgency as Dahlin tonight

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
You think it's going to build him confidence being sent down? Gotta be careful here. He's not as awful as most think, he's still a creative guy. Vesey needs to be addressed before Mitts in my opinion.
He's a creative guy but his brain doesn't think the game at the same level that his body can play the game. Lower-level leagues are where you go to bring the two together as well as learning what you can and cannot get away with when you're playing bigger, stronger and much faster opponents.

Also, look at what getting sent down is doing for Tage. He has a great attitude about it and he's playing extremely well. If he comes back ready to be a big body in front of the net and a tip machine, that would be huge for us.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I'm personally having a little trouble seeing the change in system in games where it feels like we're being thoroughly outpaced/outworked. Not that there isn't a difference between this year and the last few, but maybe I'm just not quick or savvy enough to see it. The layman will probably start to appreciate it as (if) the wins start racking up and the games start feeling less one-sided.

I mean, we still did occasionally win games in previous years but it was due in large to a hot PP and individual efforts... and it's hard to say it didn't feel a little like that again last night.
They're not a finished product but I'm seeing actual transition out of their own end and sustained offensive pressure for a period of time. Last year, all they could do was score off the rush and that was when they weren't spending half the game in their own end.

Buffalo has 2 offensive lines and a decent 4th/energy line. They need to fix that 3rd line with Mitts/Vesey/Sheary. I think that'll come with Tage and who ever Risto is traded for. At this point, just win games, lock down a system until that 3rd line shakes itself out. Goaltending will still be this team's problem.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't really felt effort being an issue thus far. :dunno:

Me either. There have been some points when the team has had issues with the forecheck in the last two games, but is that not to be expected? They are making organized offensive and defensive plays, their breakouts are actually good and the goaltending while tested hasn't had to deal with nearly the sort of back-post open men as in the Housley era.

Reactions: gallagt01

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Its crazy how Habs and Leafs are easily able to invade our building. The reason it bugs me is cause of how most them behave at the game

While Leaf fans behave like, well... like Bills fans from the late '90's (Drunken, abrasive, braggadocious but at the end of the day mostly quiet as they leave disappointed), Hab fans have been the worst in terms of commentary.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They're not a finished product but I'm seeing actual transition out of their own end and sustained offensive pressure for a period of time. Last year, all they could do was score off the rush and that was when they weren't spending half the game in their own end.

Buffalo has 2 offensive lines and a decent 4th/energy line. They need to fix that 3rd line with Mitts/Vesey/Sheary. I think that'll come with Tage and who ever Risto is traded for. At this point, just win games, lock down a system until that 3rd line shakes itself out. Goaltending will still be this team's problem.

People keep mis-labelling the Larsson line as a 4th line. It's not. It's actually a very good third line. The problem is the "4th line" that should be feasting on lesser matchups and easier icetime ala. the old RAV line is getting kicked in the junk collectively. That's the Mittelstadt line.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Me either. There have been some points when the team has had issues with the forecheck in the last two games, but is that not to be expected? They are making organized offensive and defensive plays, their breakouts are actually good and the goaltending while tested hasn't had to deal with nearly the sort of back-post open men as in the Housley era.
Effort has been better. There was a point last night early in the second when it looked like the were coasting, but I'm thinking that was Julien's system at work. They really responded well once Montreal tied it. They regained control, which is good to see.

I still have some issues with the roster (Mitts line, Sobo on the second line, McCabe and Risto pairing), and I think these issues will hinder the team, but if they can play hard night-in-and-night-out then they can masks those issues a bit.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Pretty sure Eichel hit that espresso machine between the first and second periods.
source.gif

Reactions: kummelweck

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
People keep mis-labelling the Larsson line as a 4th line. It's not. It's actually a very good third line. The problem is the "4th line" that should be feasting on lesser matchups and easier icetime ala. the old RAV line is getting kicked in the junk collectively. That's the Mittelstadt line.

As someone that has done that quite frequently, that even with the knowledge of it NOT being the 4th line, it's just a force of habit. I guess there's a part of me that WANTS it to be the 4th line because that would mean the 1st (eichel), 2nd (Johansson), and 3rd (Mittelstadt) lines are running well. I don't even mean to call them the 4th line ;)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fun listening to the Fan690 out of Montreal today. Heaping praise on Jack, talking about their concerns on the backend and if they should have gone with Price.

Reactions: Butt Ox

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I can't remember the last time Buffalo had a classic checking 3rd line that was effective. If that's what LOG is, then that's great. I think my opinion is still colored based on the merits of the individuals.

Agree with the 4th line comment. I think that'll shake out over the course of the season. It's an ideal situation for Mitts and hopefully he can take advantage. It's not like they trot out some half-assed defense paring to play with them either. All 3 pairs are adequate to good imo.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
You think it's going to build him confidence being sent down? Gotta be careful here. He's not as awful as most think, he's still a creative guy. Vesey needs to be addressed before Mitts in my opinion.

Jimmy Vesey is 26 years old. 4 years at Harvard, 3 full seasons in the NHL. He pretty much is what he is at this point. Do what you want with him.

Casey Mittlestadt is 20 years old, got 34 games in the NCAA and one season being overwhelmed in NHL. His development is very much happening right now. Do what is in the best interest of Casey.

Stalling or hindering Casey's development because Jimmy Vesey is terrible doesn't make any sense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can't remember the last time Buffalo had a classic checking 3rd line that was effective. If that's what LOG is, then that's great. I think my opinion is still colored based on the merits of the individuals.

Agree with the 4th line comment. I think that'll shake out over the course of the season. It's an ideal situation for Mitts and hopefully he can take advantage. It's not like they trot out some half-assed defense paring to play with them either. All 3 pairs are adequate to good imo.

I still think Mittelstadt is better served in Rochester for a while, playing bigger, all-situation minutes and gaining confidence than he is getting 9-11 minutes a night in Buffalo as a fancy, offensive misfit.

Reactions: Fezzy126

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'd vote for sending Mitts down and bringing Tage up. I might also bring up someone to give Vlad a view from the top for a game or two.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I feel bad for Sam on the PP. With Eichel and Olofsson shooting, there doesn't seem to be as many rebounds for him to score his dirty goals.
His screening and general presence in the net front also is still really important to the sort of goals we've been scoring more of too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->