Post-Game Talk (GBU): Our GBU has the same Urgency as Dahlin tonight

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I disagree with part of this

Its a new team for Vesey and a different system for both him and Mitts. Were literally not even 7 games into the season. Take it easy. Granted they both havent played the greatest, but to say Vesey shouldnt be playing NHL minutes, as a whole, when hes showed slight growth in his career in my opinion is a bit over the top. He couldnt get a good handle on the feed from Mittelstadt (forgot what period).

Put him with the right line mates, and then he aint dead weight.

I understand the new team and system - especially for offence and defence could be impacting production. However, there are aspects of the game a player can contribute regardless of those aspects.

Currently he is not playing to an NHL teams ability. I think that our forwards, especially the bottom should be held to a standard that you get scratched after stretches of no effort. Because over 50 minutes of ice time he has shown nothing.

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
General observations.
Montreal's breakouts were awesome for the most part. If only Buffalo would copy their system. They still get stuck in their own end way too much.
Montreal seemed to be "slashing" constantly, and getting away with it. Not so much on the hands, but on the stick. Another lesson for Buffalo.
Montreal did a lot of subtle interfering. Buffalo has to learn these little things.
Kudos to Claude Julien and his coaching staff. Coach K and staff can learn from this.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Jersey #PositionPlayerGame #4
6DScandella0
9FEichel1
10DJokiharju1
13FVesey0
17FSobotka-1
19DMcCabe0
21FOkposo1
22FLarsson1
23FReinhart0
26DDahlin-1
28FGirgensons1
33DMiller0
37FMittelstadt-1
71FRodrigues0
53FSkinner1
55DRistolainen0
68FOlofsson0
90FJohansson1
35GUllmark-
40GHutton0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hardest one so far for me to judge.

Watching this game I could now see why Montreal was 5-1-2 in their last 8 vs us prior to this game.

I think we're going to see a lot of these games throughout the season. Well structured teams are going to give us fits, regardless of the talent level on the team.

There were quite a few guys, that if they didn't get on the score sheet they would've been lower. Skinner was one of them. Johansson as well.

I'm sure I'll catch flack about the Rodrigues rating. I just thought he skated. He made a couple of decent plays, but overall he just didn't have an impact on the game.

The 4th line was going all night. If you're going to dress Okposo, this is the role for him and he's done a good job with Larsson and Girgensons. I feel as if Girgensons deserves to be pushed up to a higher line, but that would hurt the chemistry of that 4th line.

Our PP can keep us in games, and as long as we move our feet consistently through the year, it WILL keep us in games.

Our team overall has a ways to go to be a contender, but there are encouraging signs (not as much encouragement as the 1st two games).

Reactions: Zman5778

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm surprised at some of the digs at the "system" in this GBU to be honest. It's four games, sure, but it's been night and day compared to last year. Forwards after the puck in all three zones. Heavy forecheck. Forwards dropping down low to support their D in the defensive zone. Short, quick passes on the breakouts. Emphasis on possession.

Even against Columbus, where we were thoroughly outshot, I thought they played significantly better systematically than they have at any point the past few years.

I'm pleased.

Just have to clean up the mental lapses. That shorthanded GA and the game-tying GA were unacceptable.

Good win. Keep it up.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm surprised at some of the digs at the "system" in this GBU to be honest. It's four games, sure, but it's been night and day compared to last year. Forwards after the puck in all three zones. Heavy forecheck. Forwards dropping down low to support their D in the defensive zone. Short, quick passes on the breakouts. Emphasis on possession.

Even against Columbus, where we were thoroughly outshot, I thought they played significantly better systematically than they have at any point the past few years.

I'm pleased.

Just have to clean up the mental lapses. That shorthanded GA and the game-tying GA were unacceptable.

Good win. Keep it up.
I'm personally having a little trouble seeing the change in system in games where it feels like we're being thoroughly outpaced/outworked. Not that there isn't a difference between this year and the last few, but maybe I'm just not quick or savvy enough to see it. The layman will probably start to appreciate it as (if) the wins start racking up and the games start feeling less one-sided.

I mean, we still did occasionally win games in previous years but it was due in large to a hot PP and individual efforts... and it's hard to say it didn't feel a little like that again last night.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
A lot of people seem to be complaining about this one, but Risto has a guy on his back and in front of him, as well as the ref pinned on the boards. I have no problem with him trying to clear up the middle here, it literally what you're taught to do.

View attachment 262779

It was a nice stick by Suzuki to get a piece, and a bit of luck, hat tip to them... If he doesn't get a piece of Risto's stick it's either an easy clear or an odd man break for us (check out how many Habs are caught down low).

Watching the video you can see the body language of Ristoalinen, and a few seconds later McCabe, was unhappy with the ref being in the way along the boards. Ristolainen didn't have the boards as an option, went up toward Eichel, and got the stick on his blade to redirect by the goal. Really wasn't a terrible play.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm personally having a little trouble seeing the change in system in games where it feels like we're being thoroughly outpaced/outworked. Not that there isn't a difference between this year and the last few, but maybe I'm just not quick or savvy enough to see it. The layman will probably start to appreciate it as (if) the wins start racking up and the games start feeling less one-sided.

I mean, we still did occasionally win games in previous years but it was due in large to a hot PP and individual efforts... and it's hard to say it didn't feel a little like that again last night.

I haven't really felt effort being an issue thus far. :dunno:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Watching the video you can see the body language of Ristoalinen, and a few seconds later McCabe, was unhappy with the ref being in the way along the boards. Ristolainen didn't have the boards as an option, went up toward Eichel, and got the stick on his blade to redirect by the goal. Really wasn't a terrible play.

Yeah, too many people are quick to beat on the 'dumb' or 'low IQ' drums, but sometimes guys make mistakes, to me this was just poor execution.

Reactions: Zman5778

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Ugly - Those glorious stretch passes and breakaways are 100% gone now. What happened? We had like four distinct breakaways in Game 1, and absolutely none in Game 4.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Everyone outside of the fourth line looked a step behind the play at even strength for most of the night. They won't be able to rely on a hot powerplay and incredible individual efforts forever... Florida will be a huge test.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019

I think that the two first games shows how Kreuger wants to play it. However since the system is new and they have only had a few weeks learning it, they fall back to old habits when teams are very aggressive.

At the moment I think the Sabres will have to rely on a good PP and the elite guys having a good game. But as the season continue they will probably play more and more like they did the 2 first games.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
This is gonna be a slightly off topic post but does anyone have that image/meme that circulated on Twitter of the needle in the arm with Jack Eichel's name being the needle?

I lost it and need it!!!

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
game tape gets around the league in a couple days.
This is it exactly. You saw how Columbus had done their homework, and now teams will use that game as a model. Krueger fully acknowledges this reality, and knows coaching is very tactical these days. I'm sure we'll see those odd-man rushes and break-aways again. It is still a logical result of their game planning.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Overall I thought they played a great game. Its still early in the season but they look much better then last season.

My only real complaint is the amount of Habs fans in the building is truly awful. When are season ticket holders going to stop selling their tickets to them?

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
I think that the two first games shows how Kreuger wants to play it. However since the system is new and they have only had a few weeks learning it, they fall back to old habits when teams are very aggressive.

I agree with what you are saying and want to support it with some evidence from the Blues last season.

When Berube took over the for Yeo on November 19th, he went 8-10-1 until January 1st. Then the Blues made a historic run for the cup going from last to first. The Blues bought into the system and while they had glimpses of what they could do in the first month of Berube, they often feel back into old habits.

Right now the Sabres have a hot start and we should appreciate it for what it is... Easy points that we are banking. The system can work and we saw that in action. But the players have to buy into the system and grow/improve using the system. That will take time. We have heard it all before and that makes us fans antsy about giving yet another coach time for the 'system'. However, if we are seeing cracks in the system right now, at least we are still scoring and being competitive and that sure beats large stretches over the past few seasons.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A lot of people seem to be complaining about this one, but Risto has a guy on his back and in front of him, as well as the ref pinned on the boards. I have no problem with him trying to clear up the middle here, it literally what you're taught to do.

View attachment 262779

It was a nice stick by Suzuki to get a piece, and a bit of luck, hat tip to them... If he doesn't get a piece of Risto's stick it's either an easy clear or an odd man break for us (check out how many Habs are caught down low).

Re-watching it, yeah, that's some good forecheck.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Overall I thought they played a great game. Its still early in the season but they look much better then last season.

My only real complaint is the amount of Habs fans in the building is truly awful. When are season ticket holders going to stop selling their tickets to them?

It isn't always season ticket holders who sell. Montreal fans from Southern Ontario have always travelled for these games.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Because both Mitts and the Amerks could greatly benefit from him getting 1st line minutes in Rochester, doing well and building a lot of confidence.
You think it's going to build him confidence being sent down? Gotta be careful here. He's not as awful as most think, he's still a creative guy. Vesey needs to be addressed before Mitts in my opinion.

Reactions: Tatanka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad