Our beloved Metro division watch thread.

Where will the Jackets finish in the Metro?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
For curiosity, I divided remaining schedules according to difficulty using this scale:

Level I = Teams ranked 1-7 in league based on points
Level II = Teams 8-15
Level III = Teams 16-23
Level IV = Teams 24-31

About the most interesting thing to come of it: Pens have cake walk schedule remaining. Montreal has the hardest. Pens should easily go 9-3 or better, which means CBJ would have to go 11-1 to catch them. I could see Pens jumping NYI and maybe WSH. Islanders and Washington still have tougher schedules. WSH has TB three times. But their 8 point lead and NYI 6 point lead + Game in Hand pretty much out of reach for CBJ.

I think Montreal succumbs to their tougher schedule. Carolina and CBJ left to fight over who doesn't play Tampa in the first round. At this point, I'm hoping NYI win Metro and have first round matchups of: NYI/CBJ, PIT/WSH, CAR/TB and BOS/TOR.

CBJ:
(I) at BOS, at CAL, NYI, BOS
(II) CAR, at NSH, MON
(III) at EDM
(IV) at VAN, at BUF, at NYR, at OTT
4 Home 8 Away & 2 Back-To-Backs (BTB)

CAR:
(I) at TOR, TB, at WSH, WSH
(II) at CBJ, PIT, at PIT, MON
(III) at PHI, MIN, PHI
(IV) NJD, BUF
7 home, 6 away and 3 BTB

MON
(I) at NYI, NYI, TB, at WSH, TOR
(II) at CAR, at CBJ, at WPG
(III) CHI, at PHI, FLA
(IV) BUF
6 home, 6 away and 1 BTB

PIT
(I) NONE
(II) CAR, NSH, STL, at CAR, at NSH
(III) PHI, at DAL
(IV) at DET, DET, NYR, at NYR, at BUF
6 home, 6 away and 1 BTB

WSH
(I) NYI, at TB, TB, at TB
(II) MON, CAR, at CAR
(III) FLA, at PHI, MIN, PHI
(IV) at NJD
7 home, 5 away and 1 BTB

NYI
(I) BOS, TOR, at WSH
(II) MON, at MON, at CBJ, at WPG
(III) at MIN, at PHI, ARI, at FLA
(IV) at DET, BUF
5 Home, 8 Away and 2 BTB

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Good stuff bobcat!

I was just looking at remaining home schedule and every one is big - Carolina, NYI, Montreal, Boston

Reactions: Bobcat110

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
MTL is far and away the most important game left on the schedule. Followed closely by CAR.

I think the (2) MTL losses were also the biggest losses of the year. Win 1 of those games, and we're 4 up on MTL for a playoff spot. Win BOTH those games and we're currently 8 points up on MTL. Case closed. Door shut. Playoff bound.

If we win those two games, we can easily go 6-6 or better, which should be our realistic expectation, as I expect MTL to go 6-6. We would own the ROW tie-breaker in that case.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The only thing that concerns me is those brutal games for Montreal are the last week of the season. Tampa will for sure have the Pres Trophy locked up by then, and some of the others may be locked in their playoff position. Hopefully those teams don’t take it easy.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
MTL is far and away the most important game left on the schedule. Followed closely by CAR.

I think the (2) MTL losses were also the biggest losses of the year. Win 1 of those games, and we're 4 up on MTL for a playoff spot. Win BOTH those games and we're currently 8 points up on MTL. Case closed. Door shut. Playoff bound.

If we win those two games, we can easily go 6-6 or better, which should be our realistic expectation, as I expect MTL to go 6-6. We would own the ROW tie-breaker in that case.

Jackets had at least one point in the bag in Montreal a month ago, but decided to let Jordie Benn stick handle by himself like he was Connor McDavid, and he delivered the best pass of his life.

Reactions: cslebn

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Some games to watch tonight

Washington @ Philadelphia
Montreal @ NYI
Pittsburgh @ Buffalo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some games to watch tonight

Washington @ Philadelphia
Montreal @ NYI
Pittsburgh @ Buffalo

Are the bolded the teams you want us to root for?

I'm not pulling one way or the other in the Habs-Isles game. Obviously the Habs winning hurts our playoff chances, but we all know that the 8th seed is not good real estate. I think we should be focused on passing teams.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Are the bolded the teams you want us to root for?

I'm not pulling one way or the other in the Habs-Isles game. Obviously the Habs winning hurts our playoff chances, but we all know that the 8th seed is not good real estate. I think we should be focused on passing teams.

As always, root for who you wish. I don't think you need me to tell you how to do anything, you're an adult.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Looks like all bad news for the CBJ tonight. Pens winning, Caps winning. Isles and Habs look like they might go to OT.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
CBJ aren't going to catch Isles or Pens. Need to catch Canes and play first place team from Metro.

Tonights game is MASSSSIVE. We will never have a game in hand on Carolina for the rest of the season, and if anything they will have a game in hand on us. So, we have to start stacking points and have Carolina lose.

Reactions: majormajor

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I cant help but think if Murray was healthy the team would have a few more wins. I have a good feeling against the Canes and the Bruins Im comfy with as long as this game we dont go into OT or have a really grindy game. Boston has a lot of injuries so that helps us...

End of the day Im not afraid of missing Im just worried of facing the Stanley Cup champs for the 3rd f***ing year in a row. And who will get the blame? It wont be that we faced the better team. If we out play them but lose like we did to Pitt they will be in denial and claim we got whooped. It will be blamed on Bob and Torts. And it doesnt matter how well the system works or the players play ot perfect if we are in every game and barely lose f*** it blame Torts.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tonights game is MASSSSIVE. We will never have a game in hand on Carolina for the rest of the season, and if anything they will have a game in hand on us. So, we have to start stacking points and have Carolina lose.

I agree tonight's game is huge because I think its between the Jackets and Carolina for the last two spots to see who avoids TB in round 1. And of course it would be nice to put 2 points between the CBJ and Montreal.

At this point games in hand mean little to nothing imo.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I will admit it, I was cheering for the Isles last night. I don't want to play Tampa any more than anyone else but I'd prefer playing Tampa as the WC2 rather than watch Montreal play Tampa while we are calculating draft lottery odds and cheering for our "second team".

We all know the data, only once in the last ten (non-shortened) seasons has a President's Trophy winner hoisted The Cup and that was way back in 2007-2008 (twice in last fifteen seasons).

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why? Carolina is what, 21-7-2 recently? Doesn't that mean a game in hand is probably another 2 points for them?

I believe you are being totally facetious but I'll play.

Of course. What was I thinking? :sarcasm:

Games in hand mean nothing except that if the team with GIH wins them the team they are chasing is in deep sheet. And they also serve as a defense mechanism when your team is just about out of it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I believe you are being totally facetious but I'll play.

Of course. What was I thinking? :sarcasm:

Games in hand mean nothing except that if the team with GIH wins them the team they are chasing is in deep sheet. And they also serve as a defense mechanism when your team is just about out of it.

I'm not being facetious. I expect Carolina to win their game in hand and almost all of their other games. If the Jackets lose tonight their chances of getting above the 8th seed dim substantially. Even a long winning streak might not pull them ahead because the other Metro clubs are all running hot.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm not being facetious. I expect Carolina to win their game in hand and almost all of their other games. If the Jackets lose tonight their chances of getting above the 8th seed dim substantially. Even a long winning streak might not pull them ahead because the other Metro clubs are all running hot.

Now you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad