Our beloved Metro division watch thread.

Where will the Jackets finish in the Metro?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Some dessert tonight... NBCSN and Kathryn Tappen think the CBJ make the playoffs after beating Pitt and getting used to their new players... Montreal will be out... Just passing some good info on..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Some dessert tonight... NBCSN and Kathryn Tappen think the CBJ make the playoffs after beating Pitt and getting used to their new players... Montreal will be out... Just passing some good info on..

I do agree with her that it comes down to those two teams. Carolina and Pittsburgh are near locks.

MTL has 8 games against current playoff teams left (including 6 of their last 7,and their final 5 games). CBJ has 8 as well. But most of CBJ's come in this next 5 game stretch. Also CBJ have a game in hand, and will always be tied with MTL or have a game in hand on them for the remainder of the season.

It's going to be tight. And obviously a playoff spot doesn't matter if you draw Tampa. So the goal is Metro 3 (2 points back, with tiebreaker) or Metro 3 (4 points back, tiebreaker, Game in hand). How the CBJ perform in this next 5 game stretch (as well as the must win games against MTL and CAR) will determine it IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I do agree with her that it comes down to those two teams. Carolina and Pittsburgh are near locks.

MTL has 8 games against current playoff teams left (including 6 of their last 7,and their final 5 games). CBJ has 8 as well. But most of CBJ's come in this next 5 game stretch. Also CBJ have a game in hand, and will always be tied with MTL or have a game in hand on them for the remainder of the season.

It's going to be tight. And obviously a playoff spot doesn't matter if you draw Tampa. So the goal is Metro 3 (2 points back, with tiebreaker) or Metro 3 (4 points back, tiebreaker, Game in hand). How the CBJ perform in this next 5 game stretch (as well as the must win games against MTL and CAR) will determine it IMO.

It's unlikely if not impossible for a WC2 to beat #1 but if.... and only if, Bob becomes a Super Hero along with the CBJ actually gelling their offense and defense it could be close.. I've seen President Trophy winners crash and burn before, but rarely if ever in the first round...

AZRoadRunner

CBJ Tucson
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
Agree that the CBJ will likely make the POs. To me, the key to advancing past Rnd 1 will be avoiding the two WC slots. The Caps are rounding into form at the perfect time and will probably win the Metro comfortably. Just as I wouldn't want to face the Bolts in Round 1, I wouldn't want to take on the Caps either. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bolts v Caps in the ECF again this year. Everyone seems to be conceding the Cup to Tampa. Until Cooper can actually take a team to a Cup, I won't believe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Agree that the CBJ will likely make the POs. To me, the key to advancing past Rnd 1 will be avoiding the two WC slots. The Caps are rounding into form at the perfect time and will probably win the Metro comfortably. Just as I wouldn't want to face the Bolts in Round 1, I wouldn't want to take on the Caps either. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bolts v Caps in the ECF again this year. Everyone seems to be conceding the Cup to Tampa. Until Cooper can actually take a team to a Cup, I won't believe it.

Caps are playing good hockey and I’d rather play NYI, but they’re not unbeatable, and we’ve fared well against them this year. I know TB isn’t literally unbeatable either, but I’d rather not try. :laugh: Getting Metro 3 would be wonderful but as long as we avoid WC2, I don’t think we can complain.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Carolina is playing really well. I think they're in, but I'll back off of "lock" for Carolina.

Pittsburgh is certainly a lock. 100%
I don't think anyone is a lock. Pittsburgh's defense is in horrifying shape. Not about to predict them to miss, but it wouldn't surprise me.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Almost out of time for the locks to go on that 10 game streak. Once time runs out on that possibility, time will run out on them.

The locks desperately need Colorado tonight and Detroit (lol) tomorrow. If absolutely everything possible goes their way on the out of town scoreboard tonight and tomorrow, they won’t lose ground even with losses tonight and tomorrow.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I can tell you this, when I made this thread way back yonder, I didn't think that I'd actually be checking it every day come (almost) the middle of March. yowza

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I can tell you this, when I made this thread way back yonder, I didn't think that I'd actually be checking it every day come (almost) the middle of March. yowza

To double down, even I thought this team looked in really good shape after the deadline. Coming off of an electric back to back win against Ottawa and San Jose, via shutout no less (not impressive vs OTT, but SJ is very impressive to shutout) even I thought the locks were likely to get in. I didn't think they were locks, but I thought they could get to that point, especially by now. That quickly faded after the first Pittsburgh game, because they looked lost and afraid (as always) against them, and only completely faded away after the debacle against Edmonton.

I got too excited because the CBJ went out and got the top fish on the market (in my eyes) in Duchene. I didn't love the Dzingle trade, but I thought he would help. I didn't love getting Kinkaid, but it wasn't a big deal. I didn't like the McQuaid deal, but the options were thin and we did need help, so I was OK with it. I went away from what the eye test told me, and got excited by the pickups. On paper, I stand by what I said, I think this roster is pretty stacked and SHOULD have been a playoff lock down the stretch. However, it is anything but stacked, anything but a playoff lock (oh the contrary, they're going to miss if they don't get that streak I got maligned for saying they needed weeks ago), and although they are no longer playing dreadful hockey like we saw against Edmonton, Jersey, and the first and second Pittsburgh game, they're still unable to do what it takes to win more often than not against the good teams (which is mostly who we play down the stretch, unluckily).

It's also unlucky that the East is stacked this year with both of the top 2 teams in the league, and the far and away better conference. Carolina is the team we USED to be, the band of misfits that played a team game and proved everyone wrong, and made a wild run to the playoffs (they will have the same end result, first round exit). But they are better than us and deserve their spot. Hats off to them. They'll be a team to be reckoned with for years to come (would have been even better this year if they kept Skinner).

It sucks. I admire the balls by Jarmo to go for it (even if I disagreed). But it just didn't work the way it was pictured. I don't think he should be fired, but I also don't think he should sign Duchene and risk our top 5-10 pick next year to try and salvage a sinking ship. If he signs Duchene, and we miss the playoffs next year, he should be fired. Tortorella meanwhile, should get the boot after this year. Someone has to pay for the failure.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Almost out of time for the locks to go on that 10 game streak. Once time runs out on that possibility, time will run out on them.

The locks desperately need Colorado tonight and Detroit (lol) tomorrow. If absolutely everything possible goes their way on the out of town scoreboard tonight and tomorrow, they won’t lose ground even with losses tonight and tomorrow.

This "locks" thing you're doing is cute. Who are you mocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad