Our beloved Metro division watch thread.

Where will the Jackets finish in the Metro?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZRoadRunner

CBJ Tucson
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
I want to be positive but I have been Jackets fan too long to put faith in the team. Highly improbable that they make the playoffs and play Tampa, where they will be swept. It's Tampa's year to win the cup.

Correction: typed improbable when I was thinking probable.
OTOH, the probability is against the winner of the Presidents Trophy actually winning the SC. Huge expectations on the Bolts - and especially on Cooper who has yet to win a Cup. The postseason is such a different animal. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Caps v Bolts in the ECF again - with the Caps advancing to the Final. Regardless, this is gonna be fun to watch. If the Jackets face Tampa in the first round, I'd love to see Columbus surprise everyone and take the series to at least six games.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We almost took a 3 game lead against the future champs. I don’t see why we can’t give Tampa a good fight

Here's a hint...Bolts have beaten CBJ 3 times this year by a combined score of 17-3. As a bonus hint they have won 61 games this year. Pleasant dreams.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here's a hint...Bolts have beaten CBJ 3 times this year by a combined score of 17-3. As a bonus hint they have won 61 games this year. Pleasant dreams.

The silver lining is that for the many of us who expect the Jackets, should they indeed meet up with the Lightning, to be summarily (and likely embarrassingly) dismissed, is there is no way to be disappointed or voice any negative feelings about the game results.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
A quick exit might be the only Avenue to change.
I'm torn between status quo in coaching and mgmt and new blood in those spots. Don't have a real issue with Jarmo and dont hate Torts but sometimes it takes a different approach.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I don’t think we are going to make it. And if we do, is it worth it to get swept?

I'm late to this.- I don't really understand this negativity train of thought about getting swept or losing in round 1 and preferring to stay home and miss the playoffs. It's not like we have any benefit to staying home rather than "possibly not getting embarassed".

But, I'm a Full STH so of course it is worth it to make it in. 1. I get to watch more CBJ hockey at Nationwide- I love travelling 2.5 hours one way to watch them play in Columbus.
2. Even, if I can't make it to a game- I can sell my tickets to other fans who will pay 2-3 times face value.
3. Bring on the Tampa Bay Lightning or Washington Capitals. I'd rather watch us play them than the Montreal Canadians. I'll root for the CBJ no matter what.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I won't close out hopes of playing Washington until the dream is dead. Win both of our games and anything can happen. I still think we lose to Washington, but I think we have a much better chance there than Tampa.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I won't close out hopes of playing Washington until the dream is dead. Win both of our games and anything can happen. I still think we lose to Washington, but I think we have a much better chance there than Tampa.

I can't allow you to hope solo, I'll join you on this.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
So, I am assuming that once we get in and our opponent is confirmed to be the Lightning, that there will be some kind of official org announcement that we have forfeited the series because obviously there is no way they can win, right. :sarcasm:

The doomsayers need to go back and watch Miracle on Ice. I think the odds are extremely long that we could beat the Lightning, but the odds won't be 0%. Let's at least let the games play out and see what happens.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Overall I'll be happy if we make it in.. slightly disappointed, but not pissed, if its just for a 4-0 sweep beatdown. I think we can make it very competitive regardless of opponent if we actually play up our abilities at home.

If we don't make it, I'll be on level 4 DEFCON, gotta-fire-somebody type rage... we simply gave up too much at the TDL.. for failure of making the playoffs to be acceptable.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Overall I'll be happy if we make it in.. slightly disappointed, but not pissed, if its just for a 4-0 sweep beatdown. I think we can make it very competitive regardless of opponent if we actually play up our abilities at home.

If we don't make it, I'll be on level 4 DEFCON, gotta-fire-somebody type rage... we simply gave up too much at the TDL.. for failure of making the playoffs to be acceptable.

I'll go a step further - for all we gave up if we lose in first round it's unacceptable.
I'm pretty certain JD and Jarmo thought by making all the moves (a first, two seconds, 4th, future 5th and 7th) that we could challenge for 2nd in the metro and getting home ice in round 1. Additionally none of those guys are locked up for future seasons.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'll go a step further - for all we gave up if we lose in first round it's unacceptable.
I'm pretty certain JD and Jarmo thought by making all the moves (a first, two seconds, 4th, future 5th and 7th) that we could challenge for 2nd in the metro and getting home ice in round 1. Additionally none of those guys are locked up for future seasons.

Regardless of regular season results, the plan after getting these players wasn't simply to just make the playoffs. Torts and the team failed managements regular season expectations, I fully believe they wanted 1-3 in the Metro and believed the moves, at bare minimum, got them the 3 seed. Although it seems likely they make the playoffs anyway, which was the goal, they fell short of expectations in the regular season.

Now, they can rectify that in the postseason, because I think they fully expected to win a round at minimum. If they do that anyway, then no harm done, but if they get swept or go out in 5 games? I think that's when you have to re-assess the team and coaching staff. You don't add that much talent, and give up that much draft capital/prospects to go backwards/stagnate. It would be a failure. If they can win a game and make it in the playoffs they will avoid complete failure, but a round 1 exit is still a failure.

hacknwack

Apr 6, 2019
Canes fan here. Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed the playoff race against you guys this year. You guys have a dangerous team especially if you can find full chemistry mode before the playoffs. As for us....we're just happy to experience meaningful hockey again. If I were to be honest....I would say that we overachieved and you guys up to this point may have underachieved. Which in a way bodes well for you all. Either way....good luck after today and regardless of what happens I'll be rooting for you guys in the first round of the playoffs.

I'm just hoping they give us a ratings bump in NHL 19. Deuces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad