Prospect Info: Otto Leskinen

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm not advocating for an Alzner call-up at all, it's just really, really weird on the surface. Maybe it's just because I read the story about it today in The Athletic but it just strikes me as weird.

No statement has ever been made. Nothing has ever been said, even by Alzner himself (although he's now starting to air out little things in the press.) He was just gone one day and, apart from some games last year, hasn't been back. And I remember when they asked JJD about him, he flat out said "That's one guy I'm not going to talk about." Nothing about "being a good pro and he just regressed" just flat out refusing to even acknowledge it.

Reminds me a lot of the Joffrey Lupul situation with the Leafs, except that guy just stopped playing. Robidas was one thing, he was older and done (and so are a lot of these cases) but Alzner was still young-ish for hockey years.

It just strikes me as strange that we're having a revolving door of D problems, with injuries no less, and they haven't even considered being like "You know what? Maybe we give that guy another shot." They just pretend he doesn't exist and we go along with it.

Again, not an Alzner fanboy by any stretch but it just strikes me as really odd.
I think he's just not good enough. He's a bottom pairing D in the AHL, and he's worked his way up there because at the start of the year he was not even AHL calibre. That's how far he's declined, it was an incredibly stupid contract by MB.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Interesting to see, I liked the signing because he was great in Liiga. Haven't seen how he's done in Laval though. Hope he does well, obviously.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting to see, I liked the signing because he was great in Liiga. Haven't seen how he's done in Laval though. Hope he does well, obviously.

He's adapted well to North American hockey. He's been one of Laval's best defensemen.

A mistake IMO. He has some good attributes, but he's even less ready than Olofsson from what I've seen. Soft on the puck as well.

We'll see if he's ready since he's never played in the NHL. But he's been better than Olofsson in Laval all year long.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
At this rate are we going to have anyone left in laval? Or are we quietly swapping teams to eventually have all the NHL guys down and the AHL guys up?

Reactions: Schwang

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
I know right....he is so good that no team drafted him. Hmmm

Maybe he is a late bloomer
He's not exactly late bloomer since he's talent was pretty obivious when he was a teenager. He lacked exposure because finnish 97-98 born d-corps were STACKED and he never got to play in WJC.

Reactions: Fenris

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If he doesn’t work out, bottom line is they’ll have to either make a trade or hope that they can sign a UFA who can play the left side, first pair. There are 2 offensive (potentially) defencemen in Laval. Him (Leskinen) and Brook, and Brook needs at LEAST a full year in the ahl to hone his game. Beyond that, anyone else is years away. Juulsen no offence. Romanov no offence. They have to fill that spot outside the organization.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Big test for him to play a NHL game. Going to be less time and space and more physical than the AHL too.

I remember how long it took Pateryn to be able to execute at NHL speed.

And Gorges and Streit were not good for 80 to 90% of their first year with us. There is an adaption period. Fleury's going through it now, though he's not looking as bad as Streit and Gorges did at first. I remember people at first calling them career AHLers that we shouldn't be waisting our time with. Gorges ended up being a solid 2nd pair guy, and Streit a top pair, 62 point all-star.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember how long it took Pateryn to be able to execute at NHL speed.

And Gorges and Streit were not good for 80 to 90% of their first year with us. There is an adaption period. Fleury's going through it now, though he's not looking as bad as Streit and Gorges did at first. I remember people at first calling them career AHLers that we shouldn't be waisting our time with. Gorges ended up being a solid 2nd pair guy, and Streit a top pair, 62 point all-star.

Agreed. Players develop at different rates and Defenseman typically take longer. Dealing with the physicality is a huge part of it. Making quick smart decisions with the puck in tight spaces is another. Some fans don't get it cause they look at production only. It's much more deeper than that... especially with defenseman

Reactions: dinodebino

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If he doesn’t work out, bottom line is they’ll have to either make a trade or hope that they can sign a UFA who can play the left side, first pair. There are 2 offensive (potentially) defencemen in Laval. Him (Leskinen) and Brook, and Brook needs at LEAST a full year in the ahl to hone his game. Beyond that, anyone else is years away. Juulsen no offence. Romanov no offence. They have to fill that spot outside the organization.

I really don't want to see Reilly any more...

Why do they need offense now? They have Weber and Petry for at least the next 2 years.

I'd like a solid Brodin/Hamerlk type dman, if I could have my choice.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad