Prospect Info: Otto Leskinen

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Jerabek v2.0???

I flat out don’t know him......who does that can make us all believe??!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll reprise the profile that I posted in the Leskinen signing thread.

Observations

May 2019 – 22-year-old free agent Leskinen has signed a two-year entry level contract with the Canadiens. Leskinen has average size (5-11, 187) but he’s a very good puck-moving defenseman who loves to join the rush and participate in the cycle game in the offensive zone. He’s a smooth skater who isn’t afraid to take risks to make offensive plays. He has played three full seasons at the Liiga level already but had his breakout season in 2018-2019. Leskinen led all defensemen on his team with eight goals and 31 points in 57 games. 31 points was also fourth-best on the low-scoring KalPa team and eighth best in the league among defensemen. Early in the season, he led his team in points for quite some time. He has a very good shot and he likes to use it a lot – his shot total was fifth-best in the league among defensemen. One cause for concern is that 17 of his points were scored on the power play where he received more ice time than any other player on his team (over three minutes per game).

Leskinen averaged almost 22 minutes of ice time per game but was only rarely used on the penalty kill. His numbers were very good because he was given the type of role that suits his strengths as an offensive defenseman. Leskinen needs another year or two to improve his defensive game before he’s ready to challenge for a spot on the NHL roster. But because of his skating ability and offensive tools, Leskinen offers a good amount of upside. If everything breaks perfectly, he could be a number four defenseman. But a more likely scenario is that he becomes a bottom-pair guy. - Jokke Nevalainen

Otto Leskinen

Hey, that "cause for concern" would be a welcome addition given the Habs's PP woes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
xnDlDPb.gif

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Looked tall on the ice, and kinda lumbering. I was surprised to read he was only 5'11. Didn't do much out there. Few good passes but nothing more.”

“Now we definitely need to sign Leskinen, corner the Finn market.”

“That was Otto Leskinen. He looked good in June, I was hoping we'd get him back for another look.”

“Otto Leskinen has also had a great season this year, but obviously nothing compared to Kaski's. Otto looked great at the habs development camp last year. I'm interested in signing him.”

“Otto Leskinen turned 22 few weeks ago and is on his way to +30 pts season. Every KalPa's top4 d-men moved to bigger clubs after last season, so he got his chance and used it well. More skilled than Riikola and more reliable than Maione. He's probably going to sign with NHL team next summer.”

“I also remember a Finnish LD, I think it was Otto Leskinen. His offense seemed to really take off this year (stats watching only). He more than doubled his points total from last season, although his plus/minus has taken a hit.”

“Otto Leskinen belongs this thread. He was on habs summer camp last year and had an awesome season in Liiga. I love Otto Leskinen.”

Reactions: Eegs and overlords

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I have a feeling he is underrated. Good signing . He is only 22, what if he played on a better team or if he had a 31 points this year, I am sure he would have had 50 points seasons in years to come.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Highlight reel:

very short video, i have seen this guy play other than this, he definitely has a very good release and decent skating but seems very predictable in everything he does! once again this is base on a 3min video with constant replay, will wait to see him play before having an opinion!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Looks like a good pickup. Low risk move that could pay off.

I've been horrible with judging these signings as I'm almost always sold and they never pan out hahaha but I do think he looks like one of the better ones. Not being too old is the key. Regardless of whether he pans out at least he actually has upside. Thats what you want to see. Hope we're swinging for the fences come draft day too. Would be nice if there's enough of a shift in organizational philosophy in regards to scouting that we can finally turn the corner. I like what I'm seeing of late.

Reactions: DangerDave

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Highlight reel:

Thanks for sharing.

He owns a quick, powerful wrister which he uses a lot if the above highlight reel reflects his usual style of play. I like how he doesn't hesitate when he has the puck near the faceoff circle and just finds a path to the net and unloads.

On an unrelated note, those clips are tough to watch. So much ad crawl, it's unreal. A second layer of lit ads on top of the board ads. :laugh:

Plus, all those ads on the ice surface make it a chore to look for the puck. And just when you thought this was the epitome, the clip hits you with that generic Euro trash soundtrack. Beaut.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Highlight reel:

Switching his side left to right or right to left with his feet is well executed by Liskinen. Took a lot of space. His hesitations are unpredictable. Some bullets. That's just his offense. What about his defense?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hes 22 and he just had a .5 ppg season in the Liiga, he's good.
Thanks man......any legit chance him making the Habs??

If he does, is this a pre-move to maybe trading one of our D as part of a package to acquire a top #2 D.......??

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I played with this guy couple of years in finland, when we were young. So happy for this guy. Hard working and really good guy. You guys are going to love him.
Can you make us a little summarization. Why he wasn't drafted. All the possible details. Etcetera...

ganiseri

Feb 3, 2014
Can you make us a little summarization. Why he wasn't drafted. All the possible details. Etcetera...
Late bloomer. He left for Kalpa when we were like 16(?). Didint stand out there. But he just always made it work where ever he went. Finally he got a change on Kalpa and never looked back. He gets better every year. Really good skater and puckhandler. Makes lot of right passes. He is one of those guys who works hard until he gets a regular spot.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
“Looked tall on the ice, and kinda lumbering. I was surprised to read he was only 5'11. Didn't do much out there. Few good passes but nothing more.”

“Now we definitely need to sign Leskinen, corner the Finn market.”

“That was Otto Leskinen. He looked good in June, I was hoping we'd get him back for another look.”

“Otto Leskinen has also had a great season this year, but obviously nothing compared to Kaski's. Otto looked great at the habs development camp last year. I'm interested in signing him.”

“Otto Leskinen turned 22 few weeks ago and is on his way to +30 pts season. Every KalPa's top4 d-men moved to bigger clubs after last season, so he got his chance and used it well. More skilled than Riikola and more reliable than Maione. He's probably going to sign with NHL team next summer.”

“I also remember a Finnish LD, I think it was Otto Leskinen. His offense seemed to really take off this year (stats watching only). He more than doubled his points total from last season, although his plus/minus has taken a hit.”

“Otto Leskinen belongs this thread. He was on habs summer camp last year and had an awesome season in Liiga. I love Otto Leskinen.”
Maybe he was 5’11 when he was 17.....some sites do that.

I remember before Emelin came over they still had him at 5’11/188lbs.....instead it was 6’2/220lbs+

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously not expecting much. But looking forward to seeing him at the main camp. He's 22, so what he does at rookie and development camp against teenagers and career AHLers doesn't mean much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad