Prospect Info: Otto Leskinen

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's got intriguing puck skills and he thinks the game very well offensively from the little i've seen.

But he's not someone whose CJ is going to trust, so this is another one of those moves where i'm wondering if the GM and coach are on the same page.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This call up I like:
1) reward player for actually doing well in the AHL
2) player is older and has a lot of pro hockey experience so it isn't exactly being thrown to wolves
3) gives other UFA prospects reason to sign, Habs will give you NHL chance

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's got intriguing puck skills and he thinks the game very well offensively from the little i've seen.

But he's not someone whose CJ is going to trust, so this is another one of those moves where i'm wondering if the GM and coach are on the same page.

Suzuki quickly gained CJ's trust, because he thinks the game well and is responsible.

Let's see if Leskinen can do the same.

Reactions: angusyoung

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I think they're looking to see if they have something internally who can be the solution first.

If Leskinen also struggles, then I think they will look outward for a trade.

Reactions: Vachon23

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

I have never watched him play but how is his defensive play? I'm assuming if it's pretty decent even an old dinosaur of a coach à la Julien could trust him with a good amount of playing time.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Interested to see him play. He had a good camp. Very good offensive skills and solid skater. Pretty much tells you what they think of Reilly. Ouellet might get a callup at this rate.

Can not one of Folin.Fleury, Juulsen play on the other side? seems a bit ridiculous that no one can.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Sounds like Bobby Orr is coming.

images

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If he doesn’t work out, bottom line is they’ll have to either make a trade or hope that they can sign a UFA who can play the left side, first pair. There are 2 offensive (potentially) defencemen in Laval. Him (Leskinen) and Brook, and Brook needs at LEAST a full year in the ahl to hone his game. Beyond that, anyone else is years away. Juulsen no offence. Romanov no offence. They have to fill that spot outside the organization.

They need reliable defense over offense from whatever plug they use. Bonus would be contributing offensively.

Reactions: 1909

Jul 6, 2016
Can not one of Folin.Fleury, Juulsen play on the other side? seems a bit ridiculous that no one can.

RHD have a very hard time adapting to playing left side. During their whole career in hockey, they played right side because only about 30-40%(at most) of all d-men are righthanded

Reactions: Habs4Life

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
RHD have a very hard time adapting to playing left side. During their whole career in hockey, they played right side because only about 30-40%(at most) of all d-men are righthanded

Never played in the NHL,but having played against some and on occasion played LD being a RHS, found that it was not detrimental and actually easier to defend as they don't beat you outside as easier to poke-check or hit and if they try to move inside,can steer them away. Also frees up the ice when on the attack. IMO.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Never played in the NHL,but having played against some and on occasion played LD being a RHS, found that it was not detrimental and actually easier to defend as they don't beat you outside as easier to poke-check or hit and if they try to move inside,can steer them away. Also frees up the ice when on the attack. IMO.

Juulsen's got to get healthy before we can even think about that. I believe he will heal/ find a solutoon. But it could take years. So won't consider his place innthe picture until he's healthy.

As for Brook, he's looking like he won't be ready until october 2021.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
True their are some advantages but their are disadvantages too. It's all about what you're used to I guess. I was RHS playing LD and I preferred it but I also wasn't very good so...

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Juulsen's got to get healthy before we can even think about that. I believe he will heal/ find a solutoon. But it could take years. So won't consider his place innthe picture until he's healthy.

As for Brook, he's looking like he won't be ready until october 2021.

Seems not to be progressing as he should be.

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Heard on TSN690 today that when laval coach Bouchard called Leskinen into the office and told him about the call up he was soo excited he jumped into Bouchard's arms with excitment

Reactions: kevsavard95

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's the point of recalling Leskinen if you're not going to use him?

You're also basically telling Mike Reilly that essentially playing 5D is better then having him in the lineup. (Which ultimately, maybe true - but nevertheless...).

Last edited:

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario

You're also basically telling Mike Reilly that essentially playing 5D is better then having him in the lineup. (Which ultimately be true - nevertheless).

Alzner would make sense at this point seeing as Julien doesn’t trust any of the young bucks.

Reactions: kevsavard95 and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

You're also basically telling Mike Reilly that essentially playing 5D is better then having him in the lineup. (Which ultimately, maybe true - but nevertheless...).

With Chiarot playing so much tonight, I hope Leskinen gets some playing time tomorrow.

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad