Prospect Info: Otto Leskinen

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Player development over winning.

The NHL is not a development league. The AHL is.
Laval is a hockey team with fans. Winning is essential to keep the team where it is. If Leskinen is not ready for 1st pair, don't put him there. Pairs are not statics, he can move up if his play evolves during the year. If he is ready day 1, great, if not coach him up to that point during the next 1-2 years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Laval is a hockey team with fans. Winning is essential to keep the team where it is. If Leskinen is not ready for 1st pair, don't put him there. Pairs are not statics, he can move up if his play evolves during the year. If he is ready day 1, great, if not coach him up to that point during the next 1-2 years.

Yeah I don't need Leskinen on the first pair. I'm just talking about his development. If having him in the lineup is best for his development, then someone like Alzner, who's development is of no concern whatsoever, should come out.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah I don't need Leskinen on the first pair. I'm just talking about his development. If having him in the lineup is best for his development, then someone like Alzner, who's development is of no concern whatsoever, should come out.
We were talking about the first pair though:laugh:

I agree he should play most games however.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We were talking about the first pair though:laugh:

I agree he should play most games however.

Ok. But if Olofsson is healthy, I have Oullet, Olofsson, and Leskinen as priorities over Alzner.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Best course of action for Leskinen right now is a year in Laval. Let him learn the NA game, get used to the physicality, get used to the travel, the systems, the culture, absorb every ounce of hockey knowledge Bouchard will teach him and learn what it takes to be a pro on and off the ice.

There is a whole lot of suck and sacrifice to being a professional athlete, but the pay off is immense and life changing.

When I hear things like him dominating at the AHL level for an extended period, great training / eating habits, consummate pro, fantastic teammate with a commitment to winning and a great attitude, then I'll entertain the possibility if him cracking the 6-7 spot, even for a "look see".

Guys coming out of junior / Europe really don't grasp how much of the process they can control on the ice, in the dressing room and off the ice. Bouchard, if anything, will show him just that and we'll see what he does with it.

Leskinen already is a pro hockey player. Travel in Finland is harsh too, and its a grindy league.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Leskinen already is a pro hockey player. Travel in Finland is harsh too, and its a grindy league.

I'll have to defer to you on him, as I don't know much about him and have only had a few limited viewings.

From what I've seen / read / heard he could use some time in the AHL, do you think he has a chance at making our team out of camp?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'll have to defer to you on him, as I don't know much about him and have only had a few limited viewings.

From what I've seen / read / heard he could use some time in the AHL, do you think he has a chance at making our team out of camp?
Oh he definetely goes to the AHL. But with our crappy LD who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: habergeon

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No, youre mistaken. Sly was "Friend employment over winning"

That was actually something he said to Stephan Lebeau when he was part of the coaching staff in St. John's. Lebeau was pushing the guys to compete and win. After the game, Lefebvre told Lebeau that their job is not to win, but to develop. In other words, don't push them to win the game. This is why Lebeau left the coaching staff.

The AHL is definitely a developmental league. But how do you develop players when you teach them that it doesn't matter if they win or lose?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That was actually something he said to Stephan Lebeau when he was part of the coaching staff in St. John's. Lebeau was pushing the guys to compete and win. After the game, Lefebvre told Lebeau that their job is not to win, but to develop. In other words, don't push them to win the game. This is why Lebeau left the coaching staff.

The AHL is definitely a developmental league. But how do you develop players when you teach them that it doesn't matter if they win or lose?

They can win the participation trophy! :sarcasm:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Leskinen has some various phases. He's inconsistent. On a game basis, I pay all my attention on his +/-.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks to the Hidden Hand who modified the thread title to show Leskinen's recall.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Awesome! Another sub NHLer the organization and fan base will hope is a revelation and saviour only to find out he’s a middling defender who won’t solve anything other than be a patch until a real top 4 D is acquired. Yay!

I'm keeping low expectations but curious to see him in action. I think an offensive-minded LD would be useful on this team. Still, if he's no saviour but if he can create fun plays

ludwig

Dec 17, 2007
upload_2019-12-4_19-43-1.jpeg

If he’s as cool as this Otto, we are all set ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad