Friedman: Ottawa's 7th overall pick is available for trade

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Arizona <-- #7, White, Murray

Ottawa <-- 2022 3rd rd pick

Arizona get a top 10 pick, plus a couple of overpaid vets to help them reach the cap floor during their rebuild

Ottawa clear 11 million in cap space which they can put to better use
1. We are not spending a top ten pick to move on from White when we can just buy him out.

2. Having an entry level impact player on their entry level contract, which hopefully we can get with the pick, outweighs the cap effects of Matt Murray.

3. Not quite sure we are in the market to overpay an unrestricted free agent to come to Ottawa and if that is the direction we were planning to go, we can do so without giving a seventh overall pick.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
1. We are not spending a top ten pick to move on from White when we can just buy him out.

2. Having an entry level impact player on their entry level contract, which hopefully we can get with the pick, outweighs the cap effects of Matt Murray.

3. Not quite sure we are in the market to overpay an unrestricted free agent to come to Ottawa and if that is the direction we were planning to go, we can do so without giving a seventh overall pick.

But if you're in the market to overpay an unrestricted free agent, what's the point if the team remains committed to wasting 11 million in cap space on Murray & White?

I'm not pushing back too hard, but for the sake of discussion, let's say the Sens currently have 14 million in cap space, so if they moved Murray & White, they'd have an even 25

That 25 million can be used to acquire serviceable win-now vets who may be viewed as cap dumps by their current team. For example, Gallagher and Anderson in Montreal, or Seguin and Benn in Dallas. And these teams may even be willing to include an additional asset to dump these players

Without being privy to that insider info, it's impossible to say with any certainty whether the options that could be available with such a move would make it worth consideration

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If one of Jiricek or Nemec is still there at 7 how about Horvat with an extension?

Horvat would be a great add but with Norris and Stutzle establishing themselves in the middle of the ice, I'm not sure it's a good fit. Add in Pinto who is yet to establish himself but has shown some nice elements at the NHL level. Acquiring a C seems like a waste.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
But if you're in the market to overpay an unrestricted free agent, what's the point if the team remains committed to wasting 11 million in cap space on Murray & White?

I'm not pushing back too hard, but for the sake of discussion, let's say the Sens currently have 14 million in cap space, so if they moved Murray & White, they'd have an even 25

That 25 million can be used to acquire serviceable win-now vets who may be viewed as cap dumps by their current team. For example, Gallagher and Anderson in Montreal, or Seguin and Benn in Dallas. And these teams may even be willing to include an additional asset to dump these players

Without being privy to that insider info, it's impossible to say with any certainty hether the options that could be available with such a move would make it worth consideration
I’m not going to argue with you that having extra cap space is a bad thing or that we can’t build a more competitive team with more cap space, I’m just not willing to acquire that cap space at the cost of a seventh overall draft pick when one of those cap dumps in White can be bought out.

It also would be exceptionally unwise to acquire these players regarded as cap dumps for extended period of time with contracts coming to Norris, Stützle and eventually Sanderson. Even with the cap relief from trading White and Murray away.

Murray has two years left and White can be bought out. I don’t think relieving that cap is worth seventh overall and the benefits of having more team control from a prospect and entry level contract.

I also think it is terrible asset management to spend a seventh overall pick to dump our cap dumps to do what you suggest and use that cap space to take on other team’s cap dumps. Sounds redundant.

We are also not in win-now mode, so making win-now moves wouldn’t be the smartest.

Take the 7th overall and select a player to add to the core or trade it for someone that will be part of the core. Don’t attach it with cap dumps that we are in no hurry to get off our books.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau

Without being privy to that insider info, it's impossible to say with any certainty hether the options that could be available with such a move would make it worth consideration
Gallagher’s contract will not be transferred to Ottawa…

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Can't imagine it's for anything other than a winger for Stutzle.

RD is a need a well, but I don't see a ton of options that make sense for #7+
Any interest in Reinhart or Weegar?
Weegar would need to agree to an extension obviously, but he's from Ottawa and is apparently in love with the place, so I see no reason why he wouldn't extend.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I’m not going to argue with you that having extra cap space is a bad thing or that we can’t build a more competitive team with more cap space, I’m just not willing to acquire that cap space at the cost of a seventh overall draft pick when one of those cap dumps in White can be bought out.

It also would be exceptionally unwise to acquire these players regarded as cap dumps for extended period of time with contracts coming to Norris, Stützle and eventually Sanderson. Even with the cap relief from trading White and Murray away.

Murray has two years left and White can be bought out. I don’t think relieving that cap is worth seventh overall and the benefits of having more team control from a prospect and entry level contract.

I also think it is terrible asset management to spend a seventh overall pick to dump our cap dumps to do what you suggest and use that cap space to take on other team’s cap dumps. Sounds redundant.

We are also not in win-now mode, so making win-now moves wouldn’t be the smartest.

Take the 7th overall and select a player to add to the core or trade it for someone that will be part of the core. Don’t attach it with cap dumps that we are in no hurry to get off our books.

Like I said, I'm not pushing back too hard on it

I believe a Sens fan said they'd be interested in the deal if Dysin Mayo were going to Ottawa instead of the 3rd rd pick, so perhaps my idea should be viewed more as a framework for a trade, one that requires some tweaking before it's agreeable for both sides

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Horvat would be a great add but with Norris and Stutzle establishing themselves in the middle of the ice, I'm not sure it's a good fit. Add in Pinto who is yet to establish himself but has shown some nice elements at the NHL level. Acquiring a C seems like a waste.
Yes I suppose you guys are good with top 6 C position covered and we don't have a winger that would be worth the pick.

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
Liljegren would be an excellent fit for Ottawa and Pinto would be a great fit for the Leafs but I don't see either team trading either player.
Don't know anything about Liljegren to make an assement tbh but yeah I would imagine Leafs value him highly much like the Sens value Pinto highly. Not sure if there's a good trade involving Pinto between Toronto and Ottawa.
What do you think it would cost for the Sens to save 31 million dollars in 2 albatross contracts without taking any money back?

I certainly hope they wouldn’t, but saving 31 million dollars is extremely valuable to a team like Ottawa.
You do realize we can buyout White at 1/3 which will cost like 900k to our cap for the next 5 years (so virtually nothing), Murray only has 2 years left and when he's actually healthy he's worth that price tag. Do we really need to give up the 7OA to do something we don't need to do instead of getting a legitimate asset we need now (top 6 wing or Top 4 D)? Do you also realize we are not remotely close to the cap ceiling? Do you also realize that with Eugene Melnyk (RIP) gone, there is probably going to be more flexibility with spending with the daughters in charge or if there are new majority owners involved?

I actually doubt Philly would make this offer, but if the Senators are trying to get to the next level you couldn't ask for a better get that fits your needs. btw Sanheim plays RD equally as well as the LD
I love Konecny and don't know too much about Sanheim but I don't think Pinto or 7OA would be involved for Konency who only has 3 years, it will be for a pending RFA who we have the opportunity to sign long-term (or someone who already has 5+ years)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Konecny and Sanheim for Pinto and 7th oa and next year's 1st

This is actually the most tempting offer I have seen in this thread, add top 10 protection on that 2023 pick (if top 10 it goes unprotected in 2024) and I would probably do it.

I don't see a path for Pinto to reach his full potential in Ottawa with Stutzle and Norris locking up the top 2 C spots.

Reactions: Duncstar

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
After the top 5 picks, there doesn’t seem to be much difference in the talent level for the next 10 picks or so , so the Sens could trade down a bit for an extra asset and not be downgrading in talent ! Might not be a bad move? 🤔

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Any interest in Reinhart or Weegar?
Weegar would need to agree to an extension obviously, but he's from Ottawa and is apparently in love with the place, so I see no reason why he wouldn't extend.

I was driving the Reinhart to Ottawa bus before he was moved to Florida. Honestly, a Reinhart/Weegar package is perfect for Ottawa, fills both their glaring needs with young-ish guys, one of them local. It would certainly check a lot of boxes. I figured those were both guys the Panthers would hang on to, but they are near perfect fits for the Sens. Would obviously take #7+ for both, but I'd assume Dorion wouldn't be averse to that.

Reactions: NB613

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I was driving the Reinhart to Ottawa bus before he was moved to Florida. Honestly, a Reinhart/Weegar package is perfect for Ottawa, fills both their glaring needs with young-ish guys, one of them local. It would certainly check a lot of boxes. I figured those were both guys the Panthers would hang on to, but they are near perfect fits for the Sens. Would obviously take #7+ for both, but I'd assume Dorion wouldn't be averse to that.
What is Brannstrom worth these days?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What is Brannstrom worth these days?

Depends who you ask these days. Not sure he's as dynamic as was advertised when he came to Ottawa. Personally I still think he can be a solid #2/#3 guy who can run a PP and not get completely caved in his own end despite his lack of size. Kind of reminds me of a Toby Enstrom/Ryan Ellis type, tbd if he can reach those heights. Sens coaching staff haven't done him any favours, he'd play his best in a more offensive system, or at least one willing to play him to his strengths.

Reactions: NB613

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Depends who you ask these days. Not sure he's as dynamic as was advertised when he came to Ottawa. Personally I still think he can be a solid #2/#3 guy who can run a PP and not get completely caved in his own end despite his lack of size. Kind of reminds me of a Toby Enstrom/Ryan Ellis type, tbd if he can reach those heights. Sens coaching staff haven't done him any favours, he'd play his best in a more offensive system, or at least one willing to play him to his strengths.
Depending on who is available a 7, I wouldn't mind Reinhart and Weegar for Bransstrom and the pick. Weegar is almost certainly gonna walk in UFA next year, and we need to clear cap. Reinhart put up a lot of points, but I was very unimpressed with his intensity all season long and into the playoffs.

I don't speak for all Panthers fans though.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Arizona <-- #7, White, Murray

Ottawa <-- 2022 3rd rd pick

Arizona get a top 10 pick, plus a couple of overpaid vets to help them reach the cap floor during their rebuild

Ottawa clear 11 million in cap space which they can put to better use
Why? Buying out White only costs like 800k on the cap and he even has a negative cap hit the following year. Moving Murray’s contract wouls be good but I imagine inaurance is picking up most of the money when he’s on IR.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
I’d do Muzzin+ our 1st for 7thOA but don’t think this interests Ottawa. I want a top 10 pick but that would probably involve moving Nylander which I don’t want to do.

• Haha
Reactions: jmelm

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Depending on who is available a 7, I wouldn't mind Reinhart and Weegar for Bransstrom and the pick. Weegar is almost certainly gonna walk in UFA next year, and we need to clear cap. Reinhart put up a lot of points, but I was very unimpressed with his intensity all season long and into the playoffs.

Could be something I could see Ottawa liking. Good chance Weegar re-signs with us too as he is from Ottawa. Reinhart isn't too expensive and has 2 years left.

Lets us run:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Reinhart

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Weegar
Holden-Hamonic
Zaitsev

Which leads me to wonder why FLA would ever do it? Are they giving up on contention already? Reinhart seems like a guy you'd keep around.

I’d do Muzzin+ our 1st for 7thOA but don’t think this interests Ottawa. I want a top 10 pick but that would probably involve moving Nylander which I don’t want to do.
0 chance anyone gives a top 10 pick for Muzzin and a late first. I think you may be in tough to even find a taker on Nylander for a top 10 pick after the playoffs he had.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
based on the two positive responses I got from Ottawa fans, I made a three way trade thread that includes Arizona

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

I think this would be ideal for the Sens, granted they can get an extension done with Weeger, and he can actually play RD.

Maybe throw in the rights to Giroux assuming an extension isn’t in the works for Florida, and Ottawa adds a pick fo wrap the deal. (The Dorion special)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad