Friedman: Ottawa's 7th overall pick is available for trade

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
If any of those RHD are on the board we’ll just keep our pick I would think.

That's too bad because if one of them were there, that's when I think someone would pay to move up.

For the Jets I would have offered 14OA + Heinola for 7OA if one of the RHD were still there. No interest in moving up if they aren't.

Reactions: Cypruss

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
That's too bad because if one of them were there, that's when I think someone would pay to move up.

For the Jets I would have offered 14OA + Heinola for 7OA if one of the RHD were still there. No interest in moving up if they aren't.
That is exceptional value, but we need that RHD and we need higher end prospects at positions of weakness.

With Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker, Kleven on the left side, I think we should pass on Heinola if the cost is filling out our right side.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Horvat extended at 27yrs old is worth way more than the 7th overall pick. Especially with this draft even if Nemec or Jiricek is available.

There would be 20 teams lining up to beat a 7th overall offer for a 27 year old Centre who is dominant at faceoffs and just scored 30 goals.
If 20 teams are lining up to beat that offer we should definitely be listening. Were not going anywhere with how weak our defense is. You gotta give to get. If we were to move Horvat we could look to extend Miller and possibly go after someone like Copp to replace Horvat.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
That is exceptional value, but we need that RHD and we need higher end prospects at positions of weakness.

With Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker, Kleven on the left side, I think we should pass on Heinola if the cost is filling out our right side.

Fair enough but Bernard-Docker is actually a RHD and my understanding is the Brannstrom is a left shot but also plays on the right. For you guys longer term I was envisioning:

Chabot, Sanderson, Heinola on the left (I don't know much about Kleven) with
Zub, JBD, Brannstrom, Thomson on the right.

All would be first round picks with Kleven being a 2nd rounder and Zub coming as a UFA.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Oh I forgot

Kerfoot and Muzzin straight up. Makes them a playoff team.

Should add both are a lot more Cap than cash , which is the Ottawa way.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Fair enough but Bernard-Docker is actually a RHD and my understanding is the Brannstrom is a left shot but also plays on the right. For you guys longer term I was envisioning:

Chabot, Sanderson, Heinola on the left (I don't know much about Kleven) with
Zub, JBD, Brannstrom, Thomson on the right.

All would be first round picks with Kleven being a 2nd rounder and Zub coming as a UFA.
The only issue I see with this proposed situation is that we don’t lose any additional players. At the end of the day, we keep all of our defensemen and have the choice of either adding Heinola or Jiricek/Nemec. I think our defensive core looks a lot better with those guys than Heinola.

Also RHD is the rarer commodity, I don’t foresee us ever having a surplus in that so it’s always a benefit to have.

Like I said that’s exceptional value, but long term I think our 3LD will be a Holden type as opposed to a Heinola type. Way too good of a player that will command too much money to be playing on the third pair for extended commitment.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Arizona <-- #7, White, Murray

Ottawa <-- 2022 3rd rd pick

Arizona get a top 10 pick, plus a couple of overpaid vets to help them reach the cap floor during their rebuild

Ottawa clear 11 million in cap space which they can put to better use

• Haha
Reactions: Adele Dazeem

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
What would the Sens need in a deal for Pinto ?
Pinto's ceiling is a 30g, 50-60 point center with potentially Selke calibre defensive ability. We would need a very, very legit top 6 winger prospect or a very legit top 4 RHD prospect. Or Pinto will be packaged to get a bonafide player in those positions that is relatively young and has term.

Arizona get a top 10 pick, plus a couple of overpaid vets to help them reach the cap floor during their rebuild

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life.

• Haha
Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Pinto's ceiling is a 30g, 50-60 point center with potentially Selke calibre defensive ability. We would need a very, very legit top 6 winger prospect or a very legit top 4 RHD prospect. Or Pinto will be packaged to get a bonafide player in those positions that is relatively young and has term.

Liljegren would be an excellent fit for Ottawa and Pinto would be a great fit for the Leafs but I don't see either team trading either player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

What do you think it would cost for the Sens to save 31 million dollars in 2 albatross contracts without taking any money back?

I certainly hope they wouldn’t, but saving 31 million dollars is extremely valuable to a team like Ottawa.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Did you forget to add Chychrun?

White can be bought out for only 1/3 of his salary. Basically a negligible penalty. Murray won't cost a top 10 pick to dump.

7th + additional prospects/picks + White + maybe Zaitsev/Murray for Chychrun is a good framework for a deal if there's someone the Yotes really like at 7.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Did you forget to add Chychrun?

White can be bought out for only 1/3 of his salary. Basically a negligible penalty. Murray won't cost a top 10 pick to dump.

7th + additional prospects/picks + White + maybe Zaitsev/Murray for Chychrun is a good framework for a deal if there's someone the Yotes really like at 7.

Unless Jake Sanderson is among the prospects, I think you're way off in your valuation

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think this connects all the dots as well.

Though im not convinced Minny just wants to trde Fiala for picks and prospects, i dont think they want to take a step completely despite the dead cap.

I can see Fiala being traded for a a player on an ELC or cheap AAV that can help Minny win now while being cost controlled.
Re: bolded - Why is that?

Minnesota has a cap crunch and they only have $7.3 m to sign 5 players (to reach a 23 man roster).

I would prefer that Dorion doesn't offer much beyond the 7th overall. Its not a knock against Fiala.

Its just than I think more than a good winger is needed to get the Senators to the level that they can make some real noise in the playoffs. The Senators were 27 points out of the last wildcard spot in the Conference.

But unfortunately, this is Dorion, and he is feeling pressure from some players like Chabot & Tkachuk to do something, plus he may feel his job is on the line.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
#7 +#39 + 23 1st for #15 + JT Miller?
I can see the Nuck fans liking that. That's almost a rebuild in one year courtesy of one trade with the Senators. ;)

But, I would hope Dorion stays away from a deal like that. Miller's age does align well with the Senators young core, and adding a center is not a priority.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

If you have Dysin Mayo coming Ottawa’s way instead of the 3rd, this is something that’d be interested in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad