Ottawa Senators send down Drake Batherson and Filip Chlapik to Belleville

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It doesn't matter if anyone else deserved it more. Batherson is a young player and those guys need to tske a spot and not given one like he was.

He did squat to deserve starting the year in the NHL.
Do you feel the same way about Chlapik too? You don't think anyone out played them but they don't deserve spots?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I didn't necessarily agree with the initial roster (Sabourin over Paul?), but once you make that decision, stick to it at least for 10 games and see what you have. Instead you're giving limited minutes or scratching Chlapik, and now you're sending him down along with Batherson, which completely invalidates the decisions you made just two games ago. Just no direction or principles.

Now I hope Paul is one of the ones coming back up, but also hoping he gets some minutes.

Reactions: coladin

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
As people have pointed out, this could just be a monetary move.

Teams pressed against the cap and with a local AHL team have done this plenty of times in the past (Philadelphia was notorious for it when their AHL rink was across the street from the NHL rink, and I believe caused a rule change ; San Jose has also been one with a reputation for it).

So no reason why a budget team wouldn't do the same thing. We'll see though if they're called up before our next game.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I didn't necessarily agree with the initial roster (Sabourin over Paul?), but once you make that decision, stick to it at least for 10 games and see what you have. Instead you're giving limited minutes or scratching Chlapik, and now you're sending him down along with Batherson, which completely invalidates the decisions you made just two games ago. Just no direction or principles.

Now I hope Paul is one of the ones coming back up, but also hoping he gets some minutes.

Why Paul? Sabourin belongs in the NHL just as much if not more. Ideally neither is near the NHL.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Why Paul? Sabourin belongs in the NHL just as much if not more. Ideally neither is near the NHL.
That's not the point though, who cares if Paul is better or Sabourin is better; like you said neither probably belongs in the NHL. I was just pointing out that I didn't agree with the initial roster, but once it was decided I was in favor of going with it for a while, giving it time, evaluating it properly, then making changes based on that careful evaluation.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Any basis for this or are you just starting a rumour for a kick?

Taking a guess at why it would be such a short stint isn't starting a rumours is it?

Perhaps- used expressing uncertainty or possibility .
How is that worthy of a 'kick' what rules have been broken?

I see people guessing money and such are they starting rumours also?

Last edited:

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
If this is for monetary reasons to save on 5 days of NHL salary, that’s gotta be an all time worst for pettiness at a professional level.

I suspect that balcers is about to return or that there is a trade brewing. Surprised Chlapik isn’t getting a better look. Josh Ho Sang incoming for Chlapik?

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Abramov + Brown recalled.

If they looking to new combos...

Tkachuk-Brown-White
Duclair-Tierney-Brown
Abramov-Anisimov-Ryan
Ennis-Pageau-Boedker

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Taking a guess at why it would be such a short stint isn't starting a rumours is it?

Perhaps- used expressing uncertainty or possibility .
How is that worthy of a 'kick' what rules have been broken?

I see people guessing money and such are they starting rumours also?
Well, I'm 'guessing' about saving money because of the hard facts of them saving money by sending two way contracts down to the minors. I might get banned for that, but I was just wondering if you had any basis for your speculation.

You could just say "no".

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well, I'm 'guessing' about saving money because of the hard facts of them saving money by sending two way contracts down to the minors. I might get banned for that, but I was just wondering if you had any basis for your speculation.

You could just say "no".

Just seems like a strange thing to do. I can't see the savings being enough to rip these guys off and risk them wanting to leave out of spite, but who knows with EM being able to gamble a million away on a sunday morning I can't imagine how much he could lose on friday and saturday night. After a few years of that, I cant think much is left.
GodI wish he could get a good offer for the team.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Abramov + Brown recalled.

If they looking to new combos...

Tkachuk-Brown-White
Duclair-Tierney-Brown
Abramov-Anisimov-Ryan
Ennis-Pageau-Boedker
The only consistent thing we've seen from DJ Smith has been White at centre with Tkachuk on his wing. I think it will stay that way with White as our 1C, I don't see him being moved to the wing.

Reactions: derriko

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If this is for monetary reasons to save on 5 days of NHL salary, that’s gotta be an all time worst for pettiness at a professional level.

I suspect that balcers is about to return or that there is a trade brewing. Surprised Chlapik isn’t getting a better look. Josh Ho Sang incoming for Chlapik?

I really hope it isn't....that's a shitty way to run an organization.

I'm hoping it's more to do with the NHLPA and regulations on practice time. I don't have any info in front of me (and too lazy to look), but I'll take a guess that AHL teams are allowed much more practice time during the day/week than in the NHL CBA.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I really hope it isn't....that's a ****ty way to run an organization.

I'm hoping it's more to do with the NHLPA and regulations on practice time. I don't have any info in front of me (and too lazy to look), but I'll take a guess that AHL teams are allowed much more practice time during the day/week than in the NHL CBA.

The money theory is as real as Kathryn Kraft.

As the media said “There shouldn’t be any great surprise in the moves. Chlapik was a healthy scratch against the Rangers and Batherson has lost his nose for the net and his confidence following a shaky training camp”

They’ll be back. For sure

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The money theory is as real as Kathryn Kraft.

As the media said “There shouldn’t be any great surprise in the moves. Chlapik was a healthy scratch against the Rangers and Batherson has lost his nose for the net and his confidence following a shaky training camp”

They’ll be back. For sure
The media you quoted doesn't give any answer. What did Chlapik do to deserve being a healthy scratch and ultimately demoted? If Batherson lost his nose and confidence at training camp, why was he kept in the opening roster? What was uncertain about him that needed just two more games to be confirmed?

More understandable will be if Abramov is finally healthy and needs a spot. I'd be surprised if Balcers has also recovered, but yeah, basically injured people coming back would be the most convincing explanation.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ugh...

Defnitely willing to give the coaching staff more time to work with these young players.

But the trend of our coaches giving talented prospects 5-10 mins with scrubs AND expecting big things from them is getting so damn tiresome..

Its almost like these players have to come from outside of the organization to be given every opportunity to succeed (like a Turris, Chaison, Duclair). We've still never seen Chlapik play with NHL players yet to date.

Batherson bulldozed his way onto the top line last year because of his ridiculous stat line, but I really feel like we need to lower the bar for our prospects to get chance to play in the oh so prestigious Ottawa Senators top 9.........:rolleyes:

Reactions: TheDebater

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We have a very vocal group of posters who love to spend their days just crapping over every single thing this team does.

Outrage culture knows no bounds.

I just have to say this is really a bad take. There's no gratuitous outrage around a team like the Senators, not in 2019. You're just using a popular notion to erase the 100% warranted pessimism the organization has and continues to garner.

Sending down 2 of the few kids that ARE on the team is not a good look when literally all you have left to hold onto as a fan is the youth movement(it's literally our slogan this season). Sure they do both probably need more time in the minors but this shows just how bare the cupboards are that we basically only have two or three young players we developed on the roster currently that are good enough to stay there. That's bad and there's no glossing over it. And before you say our AHL team is stacked with talent, the jury is still out on that. There's potential, there's promise, but who is a sure-fire star in the making? None that I see. Brannstrom is good but we had to lose an elite winger to get him so he needs to become a top-pairing guy to justify the trade.

So yeah, we should always question every move management makes because they haven't proven a thing so far.

Outrage culture my butt.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Paul is unquestionably a better hockey player than Sabourin.

I just have to say this is really a bad take. There's no gratuitous outrage around a team like the Senators, not in 2019. You're just using a popular notion to erase the 100% warranted pessimism the organization has and continues to garner.

Sending down 2 of the few kids that ARE on the team is not a good look when literally all you have left to hold onto as a fan is the youth movement(it's literally our slogan this season). Sure they do both probably need more time in the minors but this shows just how bare the cupboards are that we basically only have two or three young players we developed on the roster currently that are good enough to stay there. That's bad and there's no glossing over it. And before you say our AHL team is stacked with talent, the jury is still out on that. There's potential, there's promise, but who is a sure-fire star in the making? None that I see. Brannstrom is good but we had to lose an elite winger to get him so he needs to become a top-pairing guy to justify the trade.

So yeah, we should always question every move management makes because they haven't proven a thing so far.

Outrage culture my butt.

I don't think its a secret that the Sens lack blue chip prospects. Aside from one guy on defense that looks to stay in the bigs the season.

What they do have are a lot of B prospects. A few have star potential, most will end up topping out as middle sixers. Those players take longer to develop, and sending them to the wolves on the worst team in the NHL is the surest way to ruin their development. Let them temper in Belleville for another year or two.

The Senators need top 5 picks in the next two drafts to get those bluechip guys. Hell they need a first overall if we're going to be real about it. They need those kinds of prospects who can burst into the NHL for their first or second pro season, which is about when guys like Batherson and Chaplik and Brown will be ready to join them, if they're ever ready. And hopefully some other guys will exceed expectations along with them.

Slow and steady here. Its not ideal, but its what they have.

Question management all you want, you have every right to. I do. But one thing I don't question is letting prospects develop in the AHL. Its the right move for the pieces they have right now.

Reactions: derriko

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Except that it's been done regularly by many franchises. San Jose used to do it for single day stints until they made the rule that players sent down needed to actually report physically to the franchise they were assigned to.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I dislike Melnyk to a borderline unhealthy degree, and even I’d be shocked if this was a money thing. Saving 5 days of NHL minimum salary would not be worth the additional damage done to the team’s relationship with its players. I’m guessing Brown and Balcers are in for Friday’s game.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Except that it's been done regularly by many franchises. San Jose used to do it for single day stints until they made the rule that players sent down needed to actually report physically to the franchise they were assigned to.

High-end teams doing it because they’re right up against the cap is different from the worst team in the league, with the lowest payroll in league history relative to the cap floor, doing it to save a few additional shekels.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad