Ottawa Senators send down Drake Batherson and Filip Chlapik to Belleville

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hopefully Abramov comes up. He should have been here from the start ahead of Batherson.

If they were going to have Chlapik play 6 mins on the bottom line, we probably would have been better off giving Paul that one last chance, not that he really stood out in training camp

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
The only consistent thing we've seen from DJ Smith has been White at centre with Tkachuk on his wing. I think it will stay that way with White as our 1C, I don't see him being moved to the wing.
Indeed, and that's pretty much our only line pair who are having any CF% success.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I dislike Melnyk to a borderline unhealthy degree, and even I’d be shocked if this was a money thing. Saving 5 days of NHL minimum salary would not be worth the additional damage done to the team’s relationship with its players. I’m guessing Brown and Balcers are in for Friday’s game.
Its very obvious its for saving on those minimum salaries. Belleville plays on Friday and Ottawa plays on Thursday. There's no possible reason to send them down but to save money. Ottawa only has 11 forwards now. They have to call someone up by Thursday. They may shuffle the deck but what's likely to happen is Batherson gets promoted on Thursday without playing a single minute for Belleville.

We're shitting on our relationships with these players just to save and we're not incentivizing guys to perform well for the club. This "rebuild" is utter madness.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its very obvious its for saving on those minimum salaries. Belleville plays on Friday and Ottawa plays on Thursday. There's no possible reason to send them down but to save money. Ottawa only has 11 forwards now. They have to call someone up by Thursday. They may shuffle the deck but what's likely to happen is Batherson gets promoted on Thursday without playing a single minute for Belleville.

We're ****ting on our relationships with these players just to save and we're not incentivizing guys to perform well for the club. This "rebuild" is utter madness.

Sending them down early allows them to get some practices in with Belleville before the game. They should call someone up before the big clubs next practice for the same reason, but regardless of whether they do or don't, there is a rational reason to send the kids down when they did.

If the determination has already been made that Chlapik and Batherson aren't playing next game for Ottawa, there is no rational reason why they should be kept up.

That's not to say the team isn't cheap and happy to save a few bucks...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Development is #1

If you are going to have prospects in the NHL . You have to be patient and you have to put them in a position to succeed. Putting anyone in a position to succeed on this team is going to be a challenge but none the less you have to try. Neither was done with Chlapik and Batherson although Batherson did get some more rope.

Chlapik getting 5 something in ice in g1 and then sitting in the press box and then getting sent down. I expect to hear from his agent shortly. Whoever said he was a no show should go stand in the hall cuz they are not paying attention anyway.

This team can't roll a ball downhill. With or without Melnyk we need a GM that has a glint of a clue what he is doing.

Hiring an established NHL coach that is not on a make or break career path with this developing team would have been the way to go. They need someone to set Dorion straight and they need someone that isn't worried about his career being judged by W/L

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I just have to say this is really a bad take. There's no gratuitous outrage around a team like the Senators, not in 2019. You're just using a popular notion to erase the 100% warranted pessimism the organization has and continues to garner.

Sending down 2 of the few kids that ARE on the team is not a good look when literally all you have left to hold onto as a fan is the youth movement(it's literally our slogan this season). Sure they do both probably need more time in the minors but this shows just how bare the cupboards are that we basically only have two or three young players we developed on the roster currently that are good enough to stay there. That's bad and there's no glossing over it. And before you say our AHL team is stacked with talent, the jury is still out on that. There's potential, there's promise, but who is a sure-fire star in the making? None that I see. Brannstrom is good but we had to lose an elite winger to get him so he needs to become a top-pairing guy to justify the trade.

So yeah, we should always question every move management makes because they haven't proven a thing so far.

Outrage culture my butt.

I love how certain people feel targeted :laugh:

I have a few specific posters in mind but mods won't allow us to call out specific posters.

I was not thinking of you and yet here you are, assuming I was. That is what I call self-reflection and the lashing out means that you feel it wasn't entirely off-base either.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hiring an established NHL coach that is not on a make or break career path with this developing team would have been the way to go. They need someone to set Dorion straight and they need someone that isn't worried about his career being judged by W/L

This is a very good point, DJ Smith is in a tough spot. If he wants to further his career, he needs to show he belongs but is missing the pieces required to do so, and the orgs goals are inconsistent with his personal best interests. To top it off, the messaging the team has been putting out into the public domain is also a bit of a mixed bag; some days it's heavy on development, others it's about being competitive now, and feels more results oriented.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
We need some goals
Abramov had a hot hand during preseason, hopefully they give him some minutes to work with

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Excited to see what Abramov can do. All pre-season (when he was healthy) he was getting the puck to the opposition's net. Love his non-stop way of playing. Hopefully it translates to NHL regular season game sooner rather than later.

Reactions: derriko

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Protecting Batherson right now is important. The media and fans were both saying they were ‘underwhelmed’ by his play, next it’s ‘he sucks’

He doesn’t need to bear the brunt of a franchise that can’t put 2 solid weeks together. Send him down until the storm clouds clear

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Excited to see what Abramov can do. All pre-season (when he was healthy) he was getting the puck to the opposition's net. Love his non-stop way of playing. Hopefully it translates to NHL regular season game sooner rather than later.

I just hope he's put on with some skilled guys not on the fourth line with Sabu.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It’s honestly a good thing we have plugs like Ryan, Ennis, Anisimov, Hainsey, Boro, etc. in the lineup.

Avoids us from having to put young players in spots they shouldn’t be in, prevents those same players from developing a loser mentality, and really helps with the tank.

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Tierney-Abramov (plsss)
Ennis-Anisimov-Ryan
Boedker-Pageau-Sabourin

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad