Ottawa Senators send down Drake Batherson and Filip Chlapik to Belleville

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Cost draft picks or good prospects. No thanks.
We need another 1st, and a couple 2nds at TDL, not give one away.
We need players who we can plug into the lineup who to play now and have some upside in the long term like Duclair. Ho-Sang is perfect for that. It won't cost much. I'd send them one of our lesser prospects or a 4th/5th round pick easily.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Perhaps they decided to party way to hard Friday and got sent down for not being ready Saturday.
Or they just are not ready.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Hate to be THAT guy but this is just to save Melnyk money. Belleville doesn't even play until Friday.

I also find this incredibly funny from Chlapik's perspective. They keep escalating his punishment for producing in the opener. I guess they really didn't like the way he looked sitting in the press box last night so they had to find a way to show him what's what.

No need to apologize. You are that guy. ;)

I would prefer them to get real minutes down below. I hope they stay down and bring the B-sens some stability.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Is this really a hockey decision or a money decision? Ottawa does not play until Thursday, Belleville Friday, so they could literally send them down to save some money and "officially" recall both players on Wednesday or Thursday morning both having never left the team.

Otherwise this is a bizarre decision that makes one question what this coaching staff actually learned from Training Camp? Is two games really the amount of rope a player will get after making the team out of camp? Did the one game in Belleville provide enough from those players to deserve a call-up now? This is some circus level management here.

Reactions: Cosmix

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If they're staying down it'll just prove how goofy it was to not even claim 1 guy off waivers
I think that moreso it shows how badly Dorion is managing contracts on the club. I think the not claiming anyone on the waiver wire had to do with the 50 contract limit.

There's no reason to have guys like Englund, Klimchuk, Szwarz and Boedker here. If you don't sign a pair of those guys and buy out Boedker (which could have saved them cash), we could have picked up a couple upgrades on depth players with upside. Dorion should have left himself flexibility to exploit our priority in the waivers imo.

Then again, I don't know if the team has the resources to scout pro players to find these guys.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why send down Chlapik?... He actually had a good game I thought against the Leafs. So the years slogan is to watch 4~ kids now? This team is a disaster.
Chlapik played 6 total minutes. He had a great assist and was noticable. I really dont get it.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Chlapik goes from nice assist in G1 to healthy scratch in G2 to Belleville before G3

Go figure

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This is really weird. In a bad way.

Chlapik did all he was asked and played great only to be scratched, then demoted without getting another shot.It's gotta be confusing for a younger player.

Batherson looks like he's lost some confidence, so he makes a bit more sense, especially given his importance to the future of the team.

Chlapik is an NHL player who is versatile and young. I see no reason for him not to be playing in the NHL right now.

Reactions: derriko and NB613

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
To me he never earned a spot in the first place it was given to him.

I dunno. I thought he showed some good things on both sides of the puck in preseason. Offense wasn’t there against Toronto but I thought he started making plays with the puck last night. Given the nature of the transaction though I’m starting to believe it’s a paper transaction. Which is infuriating.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
We have a very vocal group of posters who love to spend their days just crapping over every single thing this team does.

Outrage culture knows no bounds.
Perhaps instead of complaining about other posters you could explain why you like this move by management.

You know, debate the issue not the poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad