GDT: Ottawa Senators at Colorado Avalanche - 9PM - TSN5/RDS1 - Coming down the mountain fast

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Like I said sometimes things went their way. I don't think they were fundamentally better , they just had a better result in those games. They were still on the wrong side of the puck, but they luckily managed to get it .. that kind of thing. They are good , talented players its going to go their way sometimes ,. as the year progressed and other teams are gelling and playing better more sound two way hockey ..the Sens fell behind because they don't know how. I think that will change as a result of the coaching change ..

That 12-3-1 stretch am happened in the middle of the season. They had four different 4 game win streaks, it was sunk by a 7 and 5 game losing streak. They were streaking and this year looks to be the same.

Gord Wilson: Not the result you wanted, but some encouraging signs tonight?
Brady: I've never felt worse in my life.
Gord Wilson: Obviously not how you wanted the scoreboard to look, but signs of encouragement?
Gord Wilson: Encouraging signs, though. Is that fair to say?

yup this one one hurts.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That 12-3-1 stretch am happened in the middle of the season. They had four different 4 game win streaks, it was sunk by a 7 and 5 game losing streak. They were streaking and this year looks to be the same.
the w-l is something but ,,I am talking about the way they play not the result. The way they play is the focus of this coaching staff now
I think the fundamentals and details have been missing. Obviously goaltending can affect the result as well but says less about how they are playing as a team. So I am certainly not going to comment specifically on a streak from last year . I have no recollection at a level to assess that.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Gord Wilson: Not the result you wanted, but some encouraging signs tonight?
Gord Wilson: Obviously not how you wanted the scoreboard to look, but signs of encouragement?
Gord Wilson: Encouraging signs, though. Is that fair to say?

Lmao, you're not joking.

Reactions: NB613

h2

Mar 26, 2002
You should not lose your faith; this isn't the Ron Hainsey Ottawa Senators with absolutely nothing going for them and not a single shred of hope for the foreseeable future. Have faith. Yes, it's hard because once again, early in the season, our season is over, but this team is positioned in a great spot in this coming offseason. We just need our new GM to make good moves and signings, and we need to make sure we hire the right coach. There is no need to blow it all up and start over. Hell, if we end up with a top pick in this draft, that's not bad; that is going to be amazing for us.

Agreed. Getting a top pick would probably push this program over the top, assuming the correct pick was made. Especially when you factor in the disaster from trading our top pick for DeBrincat and what that eventually turned into.

I'm optimistic, I think we need to jettison the scrubs from our lineup (Kelly, Chartier, Hamonic types) and replace them with quality guys and we'll look a lot better. Having an actual coach that can implement structure is going to be huge.

It doesn't look like it now, but I think we're close.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Great post. It will come down to how they handle this adversity. I'm sure they are incredibly frustrated, as are the fans.

Until they show they are capable of coming through in the clutch consistently, they will keep falling back into this losing mentality. Need to prove to themselves they can win, and do it over and over again.

I'm hopeful for next season, lots of positives with this team, and new eyes evaluating them.

It is absolutely brutal to blow the season so early again. This 6 game losing streak is crushing. 11-17, with only a -4 goal differential. That is finding ways to lose over and over again. Have to start finding ways to win and building towards a team identity.
Again, I will use poker as an example. There have been many times where I have been running badly, and it has mentally altered my thinking. I would find myself in good games and in great spots and make the wrong decisions because it's in my mind. There are also times I sit down and just expect to lose because that's what's been happening. Booking wins and building confidence can and will happen; having a good coach will help with a lot of the psychological stuff; and having an assistant like Alfredsson who knows the ups and the downs will help as well. Time heals all wounds; slowly booking wins will completely alter the psyche of the players and the fans.

Agreed. Getting a top pick would probably push this program over the top, assuming the correct pick was made. Especially when you factor in the disaster from trading our top pick for DeBrincat and what that eventually turned into.

I'm optimistic, I think we need to jettison the scrubs from our lineup (Kelly, Chartier, Hamonic types) and replace them with quality guys and we'll look a lot better. Having an actual coach that can implement structure is going to be huge.

It doesn't look like it now, but I think we're close.
I think the defensive system as a whole needs an entire rework; too many high-quality chances are allowed, goalies need to make saves, and this might be a confidence issue as well, but if it's not, we need to find stability between the pipes. We definitely need to decide how we want to build our D core, and we will have to do that this offseason.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
You should not lose your faith; this isn't the Ron Hainsey Ottawa Senators with absolutely nothing going for them and not a single shred of hope for the foreseeable future. Have faith. Yes, it's hard because once again, early in the season, our season is over, but this team is positioned in a great spot in this coming offseason. We just need our new GM to make good moves and signings, and we need to make sure we hire the right coach. There is no need to blow it all up and start over. Hell, if we end up with a top pick in this draft, that's not bad; that is going to be amazing for us.
Fyi, the Ron Hainsey senators had a better win percentage and gave up fewer goals than this year's team.

• Wow
Reactions: NB613

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I think the defensive system as a whole needs an entire rework; too many high-quality chances are allowed, goalies need to make saves, and this might be a confidence issue as well, but if it's not, we need to find stability between the pipes. We definitely need to decide how we want to build our D core, and we will have to do that this offseason.

I don't want to sound like aragorn, but the whole team is just way too soft and small, especially on the backend. I think to win a cup you need to have a perfect balance between skill/grit and get lucky with health during your playoff run. Our team is a little lopsided on that spectrum and not tough enough.

I think guys like Brannstrom don't have a place in the future, IMO.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Making posts like "this team has gotten worse since firing DJ" is forming an opinion and presenting it to people on here either as a troll or you are actually just clueless on what a sample size is. One game and 10 minutes into the second game doesn't need to have a post made on how the team is playing, especially a post comparing one coach to another. You simply cannot make a comparison because you have insufficient data.
Sorry, but after months of trolls blaming every tiny little thing on DJ that had nothing to do with DJ, now you suddenly care about making observations that can be construed into a malformed opinion???

I had been clear about my criticisms about DJ going back to last season (mainly surrounding accountability and ice time management), but I also didn't let people falsely criticize him about things he had no control over. Now I make a simple, factual observation, and I'm the one trolling???

I'm excited we have JM as a coach. I think he'll be a breath of fresh air to the team.

Reactions: LiseL and NB613

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Fyi, the Ron Hainsey senators had a better win percentage and gave up fewer goals than this year's team.
Fyi, there was no future for that team or the teams coming after it; that was my point. Not disputing this teams terrible win %
I don't want to sound like aragorn, but the whole team is just way too soft and small, especially on the backend. I think to win a cup you need to have a perfect balance between skill/grit and get lucky with health during your playoff run. Our team is a little lopsided on that spectrum and not tough enough.

I think guys like Brannstrom don't have a place in the future, IMO.
I am not disputing that either; we clearly could use some actual muscle, especially on the D side. I was just saying we have a lot of good to work with, and we will be in a good place to add the right pieces in the coming offseason. We will also be adding Pinto back into the mix or using him in a trade to add some more pieces to help solidify our roster. We will have cap space, we will have a high (ish) pick, we will have a decent return from Tarasenko, and we have the 1st rd pick from the DBC trade. I doubt Kubalik returns much, but we may have an extra pick. We will have all that stuff we can use to draft or trade to find the pieces we need, as well as explore the UFA market. All is not lost; we are not pressed against the cap with no room to breathe and no ability to do anything.

Reactions: h2

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I don’t think that’s it. You can fault DJ all you want but it’s between the ears for this group. Highs are high. Lows are low. They can’t dig themselves out of holes. You look at how they opened the season. It’s nothing compared to how they’ve played on this road trip.
They played terribly all season. This is the first time I've actually seen them play well, tonight. They got by on early seasons garbage play, because the other teams were in the same mode. The way they played Colorado tonight, is the way I have been hoping for them to play for a long time. They have issues they need to clean up, but this was a good game. Probably the best I've seen them play all year.

Reactions: LiseL

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
They played terribly all season. This is the first time I've actually seen them play well, tonight. They got by on early seasons garbage play, because the other teams were in the same mode. The way they played Colorado tonight, is the way I have been hoping for them to play for a long time. They have issues they need to clean up, but this was a good game. Probably the best I've seen them play all year.
They played quite solid for about 5-6 games after the Florida game.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Sorry, but after months of trolls blaming every tiny little thing on DJ that had nothing to do with DJ, now you suddenly care about making observations that can be construed into a malformed opinion???

I had been clear about my criticisms about DJ going back to last season (mainly surrounding accountability and ice time management), but I also didn't let people falsely criticize him about things he had no control over. Now I make a simple, factual observation, and I'm the one trolling???

I'm excited we have JM as a coach. I think he'll be a breath of fresh air to the team.
Buddy, why do you still want to talk about DJ? DJ was a terrible coach. We can't even really assess this current roster because of DJ. You made an observation and posted it on here that the team is playing worse under JM than DJ after 1 game and 10 minutes into the second game. Like, dude, just stop. I can't even understand your logic or what it is you're grasping at. It's not a factual observation to say the team is playing worse after such a miniscule sample size; it's just downright moronic to even bring it up.

If you want to talk about the team playing better or worse, DJ vs. JM, at least give it 20 games. Until then, just watch the games.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I actually enjoyed the game. Deserved to win this one. If we play consistently that way against non-super teams we should get a few wins in the next little while.

What I appreciated most of all was that Jacques was frank in his interview. He said there was some people not competing in the first and some bad penalties. Finally some accountability.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
the w-l is something but ,,I am talking about the way they play not the result. The way they play is the focus of this coaching staff now
I think the fundamentals and details have been missing. Obviously goaltending can affect the result as well but says less about how they are playing as a team. So I am certainly not going to comment specifically on a streak from last year . I have no recollection at a level to assess that.

I am also talking about the way they play and not the result, at least the way I’ve seen it over the past seasons. Anyways I’m tired of having this type of discussion over and over. I’m never going to lay the blame at one individual or a small group of individuals, it will always be the whole group.

Reactions: umma gumma

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The team played a pretty damn good game (in the grand scale) but got beaten by one of the best teams in the league out for blood after a bad loss.

Some details were not good. Special teams in particular. But the broad strokes were good.

I have no issue with this game. Gave the Stanley Cup favourites everything they could handle.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Stutzle is getting f***ing useless

Can't score a f***ing goal. Continuously going on 5-7 games scoreless droughts

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Glad to not take advantage of the easy schedule cuz no rythm ?

How about the rythm of the december schedule?

Well deserved

Losers

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Stutzle is getting f***ing useless

Can't score a f***ing goal. Continuously going on 5-7 games scoreless droughts

Do you think that he is generally incapable of scoring goals or are you just finding something you can target without having an honest opinion?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Watched the post-game interviews…Brady and Batherson taking accountability on the loss. Brady saying this is the worst he’s felt in his life…that’s tough to hear…I hope for their sake, they get the win on Saturday and feel a bit better. Clearly starting to weigh on everyone.

The positive was 5-on-5 play, it was excellent today considering the opponent as well. Haven’t seen a 2nd period like that in a while.

Let’s get the win on Saturday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad