GDT: Ottawa Senators at Colorado Avalanche - 9PM - TSN5/RDS1 - Coming down the mountain fast

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess until Martin uses them as one of the primary excuses for a prolonged period of time then the comparison and criticism might be a bit more warranted and understandable.
See, here's the problem, to me, what's important is whether the comments were valid, to you, it's how often that person made them. Martin correctly pointed out we had some injuries, and we had some bounces, just like DJ before him, the team had the same issues, just a different person pointed those issues out and all the sudden the reaction is different.

Why does it matter who says the message if it's the exact same message describing the exact same team?

Apparently I struck a nerve with some pointing that out, says more about those upset by it imo.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
See, here's the problem, to me, what's important is whether the comments were valid, to you, it's how often that person made them. Martin correctly pointed out we had some injuries, and we had some bounces, just like DJ before him, the team had the same issues, just a different person pointed those issues out and all the sudden the reaction is different.

Why does it matter who says the message if it's the exact same message describing the exact same team?

Apparently I struck a nerve with some pointing that out, says more about those upset by it imo.
Martin just took over.

The fact that the team continues to look discombobulated is more likely a continuation of bad habits learned from DJ than it is anything to do with Martin.

Any average fan could tell you what DJ and Martin pointed out. The difference is Martin will change the behaviour of the players and then all of a sudden injury issues aren't a problem, bad bounces aren't as much of a problem etc. Once this team is playing like a team and defending as a whole unit the team will become resilient and be able to win despite circumstance.

Reactions: LiseL and SensHulk

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Martin just took over.

The fact that the team continues to look discombobulated is more likely a continuation of bad habits learned from DJ than it is anything to do with Martin.

Any average fan could tell you what DJ and Martin pointed out. The difference is Martin will change the behaviour of the players and then all of a sudden injury issues aren't a problem, bad bounces aren't as much of a problem etc. Once this team is playing like a team and defending as a whole unit the team will become resilient and be able to win despite circumstance.
so when DJ said it, it was letting players off the hook, creating an environment of excuses instead of holding players accountable, but when Martin says it, suddenly that's no longer the case, because that's no longer how you hold players accountable, it's somehow different now.

It was never about what DJ said, that's obvious when we have posters like yourself outraged that I pointed out they said the same thing. DJ acknowledging injuries or bounces was never the problem despite people complaining about it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

pointing out how ridiculous a statement is , does not mean people are upset... I suppose given what you do , that would be contentious and worth picking a bone over. What minute little victory do you feel by picking at this thread regarding post game comments? I think that says a lot about you.

R2010

May 23, 2011
so when DJ said it, it was letting players off the hook, creating an environment of excuses instead of holding players accountable, but when Martin says it, suddenly that's no longer the case, because that's no longer how you hold players accountable, it's somehow different now.

It was never about what DJ said, that's obvious when we have posters like yourself outraged that I pointed out they said the same thing. DJ acknowledging injuries or bounces was never the problem despite people complaining about it.
Martin stated that the 1st period wasn't good and players needed to step up. That the team took bad offensive zone penalties and needed to be better on the special teams. Liked the 5 on 5 play. This is exactly what the game looked like to me.

DJ there were games where we were shellshocked by the other team and he'd come out, "I like how we played, liked the effort."

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
pointing out how ridiculous a statement is , does not mean people are upset... I suppose given what you do , that would be contentious and worth picking a bone over. What minute little victory do you feel by picking at this thread regarding post game comments? I think that says a lot about you.
Oh, you got me. Lol.

Apparently it's ridiculous to point out Martin said the same thing DJ was constantly criticized for saying, but ok. Seems a lot of the same folk that criticized DJ for saying are the ones pointing out how ridiculous it is that I pointed it out. Strange how that works.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oh, you got me. Lol.

Apparently it's ridiculous to point out Martin said the same thing DJ was constantly criticized for saying, but ok. Seems a lot of the same folk that criticized DJ for saying are the ones pointing out how ridiculous it is that I pointed it out. Strange how that works.
You really feel something about this? What an astute observation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Martin stated that the 1st period wasn't good and players needed to step up. That the team took bad offensive zone penalties and needed to be better on the special teams. Liked the 5 on 5 play. This is exactly what the game looked like to me.

DJ there were games where we were shellshocked by the other team and he'd come out, "I like how we played, liked the effort."
DJ often pointed out how we didn't start well or he didn't like the 2nd period. Then he'd talk about some of the positives, it's not really that different.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Seems I touched a nerve,

The fact of the matter is: we have two VERY interim coaches that are here to get us through the season.... and Staios doesn't have the GM experience to get anything done to resolve this before the 24/25 season.

JM is not a coach for this generation. He will bring some positives and some different aspects, but he likely is not going to get us above .500 for a while.

I just hope that it doesn't go overtly negative in the media about the team, AND the interim coaches. Imagine Alfie and JM getting booed in February. Not good.

As EK65 said "the end is nigh" (3 more months)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Martin just took over.

👆 I’d also add just the natural shortcomings of our top players (Sandy - age, Brady - doesn’t like to back check, Timmy - so many plays die on his stick, Goalies - AHL standard)

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I don't know what DJ did/didn't say to the players, but what he says to the media has no correlation to what he chose to say in the room. Coaches are just hitting their cliche talking points to get the interview over with as quickly as possible - there's no real thought put into it.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't know what DJ did/didn't say to the players, but what he says to the media has no correlation to what he chose to say in the room. Coaches are just hitting their cliche talking points to get the interview over with as quickly as possible - there's no real thought put into it.
That's right and I agree. The actions of the coach to rectify the issues they say to the media is what they should be judged on

Reactions: BigRig4

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
One employee - call them DJ - is late every day and blames the traffic. After five years, you fire them.

You hire a new employee - call them JM. On their first two days, they're late and blame the traffic.

I think it's fair to conclude that the traffic is in fact bad, but while the first employee just kept blaming the traffic without finding a solution (leave earlier, go a different way, move closer to work, etc.), the new employee still might. Being critical of DJ for blaming the traffic is fair. Being critical of JM for blaming the traffic - after two days - is not.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One employee - call them DJ - is late every day and blames the traffic. After five years, you fire them.

You hire a new employee - call them JM. On their first two days, they're late and blame the traffic.

I think it's fair to conclude that the traffic is in fact bad, but while the first employee just kept blaming the traffic without finding a solution (leave earlier, go a different way, move closer to work, etc.), the new employee still might. Being critical of DJ for blaming the traffic is fair. Being critical of JM for blaming the traffic - after two days - is not.
Strange analogy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad