GDT: Ottawa Senators at Colorado Avalanche - 9PM - TSN5/RDS1 - Coming down the mountain fast

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I have to be honest, I'm thankful that they are being caught this way after all these excuses prior. It makes them look quite stupid.
'There is no rhythm due to the long breaks' gave them a reason not to look at their defective game. If they would've actually blamed themselves they might would've been able to turn things around during this relatively easy stretch starting off the season. And they are wonderfully ridiculed for this right now.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
3 out of 5 games they had the lead going into the 3rd….wild.

Our 3rd periods are our new 2nd periods. That batherson penalty was just terrible to take in the offensive zone, and basically turned the whole game around
Time to put someone on fire alarm duty.

1703246939420.jpeg

I have to be honest, I'm thankful that they are being caught this way after all these excuses prior. It makes them look quite stupid.
'There is no rhythm due to the long breaks' gave them a reason not to look at their defective game. If they would've actually blamed themselves they might would've been able to turn things around during this relatively easy stretch starting off the season. And they are wonderfully ridiculed for this right now.
This, but without as much contempt.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They blew multi goal leads in 3 of 5 games on this road trip. 16 goals scored in 5 road games against some quality competition and not even so much as a loser point to show for it.

Brady is 5th in team scoring. That's not going to get us anywhere

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Watched the post-game interviews…Brady and Batherson taking accountability on the loss. Brady saying this is the worst he’s felt in his life…that’s tough to hear…I hope for their sake, they get the win on Saturday and feel a bit better. Clearly starting to weigh on everyone.

The positive was 5-on-5 play, it was excellent today considering the opponent as well. Haven’t seen a 2nd period like that in a while.

Let’s get the win on Saturday
We have found an unexpected thing to look forward to for the rest of the season. Gord asks bs cotton candy questions in his creepy quiet voice and the players answer the opposite. "Safe to say there are alot of positives" Get's cut off. "Not one. It was a big shit sandwich and we went back for seconds."

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It's really tough man. My heart was broken that night and it's only gotten worse from there. Didn't even watch last night's game because I knew we'd blow it again. Honestly just gonna stop watching this team and maybe only follow them through this website. Before 2017 it was a decade of darkness with the only light being Erik Karlsson and this current team doesn't even have half the heart that man had and what he did to try to will us to relevance.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
We now have the worst penalty kill percentage in the league at 70.2%.

Edit: Just looking at Boston's numbers. They're first in the league for penalty kill percentage with 87.5%. Our total penalty minutes are comparable - we both have around 250 PIMs total on the season so far. For easier math, rounding down, let's just say 100 penalties each - that's roughly 17 fewer goals on penalty kills alone.

Last edited:

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I don't think I've ever seen as much in game coaching as I did last night, in terms of coaches and players chatting on the bench. And that's with Jaques, who was notoriously subdued. It's going to be hard to play well when you are learning a new system on the fly. Nobody is going to have their decision making ingrained, so it's going to be disjointed for a while.

It goes to show how bad many of our good players actually are. They have skill/talent, but I don't think they have any clue as to how they should be playing as NHLers. Or even what actual accountability looks like.

I honestly think some kind of re-tool is needed to bring in some players that have good habits and to re-set the attitude in the room. Batherson, Norris, Tkachuck, Stutzle, Chabot, Sanderson etc., the core of the team, have all been screwed by the franchise being a tire fire/bad coaching. You can call them coddled or whatever, but it isn't their fault they had a coach with zero accountability required.

I don't think any of them have even been benched once in their NHL career.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don't think I've ever seen as much in game coaching as I did last night, in terms of coaches and players chatting on the bench. And that's with Jaques, who was notoriously subdued. It's going to be hard to play well when you are learning a new system on the fly. Nobody is going to have their decision making ingrained, so it's going to be disjointed for a while.

It goes to show how bad many of our good players actually are. They have skill/talent, but I don't think they have any clue as to how they should be playing as NHLers. Or even what actual accountability looks like.

I honestly think some kind of re-tool is needed to bring in some players that have good habits and to re-set the attitude in the room. Batherson, Norris, Tkachuck, Stutzle, Chabot, Sanderson etc., the core of the team, have all been screwed by the franchise being a tire fire/bad coaching. You can call them coddled or whatever, but it isn't their fault they had a coach with zero accountability required.

I don't think any of them have even been benched once in their NHL career.

I agree, I came away very encouraged from that game. We’re in a deep hole but I think Jacques has the climbing gear.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I actually see improvements already and enjoyed watching most of that game. Hopefully lasting improvements. Can't fix everything at once but I am actually hopeful and optimistic again. 5v5 against a dominant team playing well and we were just as good or better and it was on the road. Penalties actually haven't been a major problem (last I checked) this year and I hope last night was an outlier there. PK has been awful but obviously JM and DA know that and will address quickly.

If we play like that and improve special teams I think we will be a good team the rest of the way. I still believe in this roster. Not perfect, but enough there to be good.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Maybe Jacques doesn't know the roster yet, but why was Smejkal, who didn't score in the AHL, getting multiple shifts on the powerplay? Was Kelly too tired to be out there showing off his prolific offence? And it was not like he was put out there to screen the goalie.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Maybe Jacques doesn't know the roster yet, but why was Smejkal, who didn't score in the AHL, getting multiple shifts on the powerplay? Was Kelly too tired to be out there showing off his prolific offence? And it was not like he was put out there to screen the goalie.

He was the net-front guy on the 2nd unit and makes a lot of sense in that role. Good puck retrieving forechecker and a good screener. I wouldn't read into his AHL stats - he started producing after a slow start.

I'm taking Kubalik off that 2nd unit before I'm taking off Smejkal.

Reactions: NB613 and Dionysus

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I’m not just basing that of this season. It’s also last season. Where their best stretch of play happened in the middle of the season. You look at last year they were able to string good games together but it always followed poor stretches. It’s carried over this this season as well.
Its easier to play when your fans have zero expectation of playoffs and other teams don't take you as seriously.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He was the net-front guy on the 2nd unit and makes a lot of sense in that role. Good puck retrieving forechecker and a good screener. I wouldn't read into his AHL stats - he started producing after a slow start.

I'm taking Kubalik off that 2nd unit before I'm taking off Smejkal.
its infurating that Dorion and his fans here defendend Kubalik when the trade went down. Literally Chiasson 2.0.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Big body, we are super soft so playing a big boi who should be extra motivated to stick in the NHL isn't unreasonable.

Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
cause guys who actually play well get opportunity?

I have never liked Kastelic game and never understood why he was around. I am glad this coaching staff is trying to change his game or else he is the next to go down. DJ loved big bodies he are virtually useless in their roles

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am also talking about the way they play and not the result, at least the way I’ve seen it over the past seasons. Anyways I’m tired of having this type of discussion over and over. I’m never going to lay the blame at one individual or a small group of individuals, it will always be the whole group.
sorry about that.

I had responded "It could be both" initially . That didn't seem satisfactory to you. I wasn't talking about blame.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Not even close to the same player.
hes a big body who does nothing on the ice who can occasionally finish

There is a reason why two teams have passed on Kubalik and Ottawa will be the third. Waste of an asset in the DBC trade

Said it then and will say it now. He won't be here past this year

Reactions: Cosmix

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Ive no doubt Jacques is going to help these guys figure it out eventually, but for their sakes, they better do it fast, or else.

I don't know if I've ever seen a professional athlete as morose as Brady was in his post game last night. This kid just doesn't have an answer right now, and that's real concerning. He could have chosen to preach the coaches new message, identified the actual positives out of this game, or just kept it simple and said the team needs to continue to focus on change. Instead, he looks like he's more depressed than I am when seasonal affective disorder kicks in.

Yeesh.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
hes a big body who does nothing on the ice who can occasionally finish

There is a reason why two teams have passed on Kubalik and Ottawa will be the third. Waste of an asset in the DBC trade

Said it then and will say it now. He won't be here past this year
Kubalik is pacing for 15 even strength goals, 21 overall while playing on the 3rd line and 2nd PP. 14:35 minutes per game, 2:35 PPTOI per game.

DeBrincat scored 16 even strength goals and 27 overall while playing top 6 and PP1. 19:00 minutes per game, 4:04 PPTOI.

At less than a 3rd of the cost who has provided better value.

Reactions: LiseL

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Watched the post-game interviews…Brady and Batherson taking accountability on the loss. Brady saying this is the worst he’s felt in his life…that’s tough to hear…I hope for their sake, they get the win on Saturday and feel a bit better. Clearly starting to weigh on everyone.

The positive was 5-on-5 play, it was excellent today considering the opponent as well. Haven’t seen a 2nd period like that in a while.

Let’s get the win on Saturday

I hope the players are able to leave the struggles at the rink and enjoy christmas with their families.

Having said that, it is so goddamn refreshing to hear that kind of accountability from two key players. No more bad bounces, "we're doing everything right it's just the universe's fault we're losing" type of talk.

Martin has them looking in the mirror and it will do wonders for all of the young players who are experiencing this kind of coaching for the first time in their careers.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Ive no doubt Jacques is going to help these guys figure it out eventually, but for their sakes, they better do it fast, or else.

I don't know if I've ever seen a professional athlete as morose as Brady was in his post game last night. This kid just doesn't have an answer right now, and that's real concerning. He could have chosen to preach the coaches new message, identified the actual positives out of this game, or just kept it simple and said the team needs to continue to focus on change. Instead, he looks like he's more depressed than I am when seasonal affective disorder kicks in.

Yeesh.

It seems Tkachuk is taking DJ’s firing personally. He is a young captain of a young and losing team. He’s been cold lately and they are learning new things on the fly with little sustained time on a 5-game road trip. Thankfully, veterans like Giroux and coach Alfie can help with these aspects.

They are a team in transition, I expect them to find their smiles again once they are executing as a team and winning again. That happens as they switch to Jacques Martin hockey.

I am not worried about Tkachuk. Stutzle is in a similar predicament (DJ is the only coach her had known and now needs to undo some of the bad habits).

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad