GDT: Ottawa Senators at Colorado Avalanche - 9PM - TSN5/RDS1 - Coming down the mountain fast

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I mean, we are missing our best PKer and possible our best PMD for the PP (warts and all), no wonder our special teams are suffering.

Still, we should then be extra careful to avoid those stupid penalties in the o-zone. And it's not just Kelly and Batherson either, Greig had one too; we just don't talk about it because Colorado didn't score on that one.

Reactions: Cosmix

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Should have got something out of four games in this stretch.
Against the Leafs, Stars, Coyotes and Avalanche. Not getting even a loser point is why we're so low in the standings. Frustrating to say the least.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean, we are missing our best PKer and possible our best PMD for the PP (warts and all), no wonder our special teams are suffering.

Still, we should then be extra careful to avoid those stupid penalties in the o-zone. And it's not just Kelly and Batherson either, Greig had one too; we just don't talk about it because Colorado didn't score on that one.
Crookshank also had a hooking penalty early resulting in the first goal against.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Let’s see what an angry and determined Brady looks like under the tutelage of JM and Alfie.

I have no doubts that Brady is willing to do and play however is needed to drive this team to wins.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
@AchtzehnBaby is rubbing off on you
DJ wasn't getting results, there are lots of things to criticize him about, I just find it interesting when people aren't consistent with what's worthy of criticism, everyone seems real upset that I pointed out Martin said similar things to DJ, and yet only DJ gets criticized.

Glad DJ is is gone, I just think it never mattered what DJ said, he'd run his course, fans were going to complain no matter what he said.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DJ wasn't getting results, there are lots of things to criticize him about, I just find it interesting when people aren't consistent with what's worthy of criticism, everyone seems real upset that I pointed out Martin said similar things to DJ, and yet only DJ gets criticized.

Glad DJ is is gone, I just think it never mattered what DJ said, he'd run his course, fans were going to complain no matter what he said.
giphy[1].gif

lol at the comparison .. give your head a shake

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think it really ever matters what the coach says in the media, it’s all theatre for the fans. True feelings and thoughts are shared behind closed doors.

The coach was eventually fired, to late or not, because he was unable to continue to get the expected results from the young team as they developed.

It’s the same thing that happens to every coach eventually, and they all say the same things after the losses start to mount.

It’s nice to have JM and Alfie to focus on defending and details, even if it is just for the interim until the new GM and coaching staff arrive. Both guys are well situated to slide over into their respective front office jobs if needs be.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
It seems Tkachuk is taking DJ’s firing personally. He is a young captain of a young and losing team. He’s been cold lately and they are learning new things on the fly with little sustained time on a 5-game road trip. Thankfully, veterans like Giroux and coach Alfie can help with these aspects.

They are a team in transition, I expect them to find their smiles again once they are executing as a team and winning again. That happens as they switch to Jacques Martin hockey.

I am not worried about Tkachuk. Stutzle is in a similar predicament (DJ is the only coach her had known and now needs to undo some of the bad habits).
Here's to hoping big Walt pulls Brady aside after Xmas dinner and tells him whats up
I don’t think it really ever matters what the coach says in the media, it’s all theatre for the fans. True feelings and thoughts are shared behind closed doors.

The coach was eventually fired, to late or not, because he was unable to continue to get the expected results from the young team as they developed.

It’s the same thing that happens to every coach eventually, and they all say the same things after the losses start to mount.

It’s nice to have JM and Alfie to focus on defending and details, even if it is just for the interim until the new GM and coaching staff arrive. Both guys are well situated to slide over into their respective front office jobs if needs be.
Jason York alluded to this recently. JM is quiet on the bench. Sure isn't in the room!

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
No confirmation. There is a team pic where his wrist is pretty wrapped up. He also just can't seem to shoot, and appears to have very little confidence in his shot.
I keep seeing the neck taped up as well, so it does seem like he is going through a few things.

Reactions: Dionysus

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

I guess until Martin uses them as one of the primary excuses for a prolonged period of time then the comparison and criticism might be a bit more warranted and understandable.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kelly reached in with the stick vs skating hard to gain body position. Cost a goal and momentum at the end of the period.

4th liners can not cost you like that
Yup. He should have just skated as fast as he could to get back into the play. Bad decision by him.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
How is that pass to the late trailing D man ALWAYS available? Sens need to close that down better. I think the forwards are back checking too deep
They are coming back to the area between the D zone faceoff circles and watching the puck carrier. They are not checking or marking a man. Its a zone defense down low with 3 Fs in it. The other teams scouts know it and other teams take great advantage of it.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone PVR the TSN broadcast?

If so there was an exchange on the bench between Alfie and Giroux in the 1st period I think can you capture that clip?

• Wow
Reactions: Adele Dazeem

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I thought they played pretty well in the game against Colorado. It wasn't mistake free, but the Avs are a top team and right up their with the best in the league, so that has to be a consideration. If they play like that, they will win some games.

Norris has regained his form, so that helps. Chabot, Pinto and Joseph will get back into the lineup, and Martin & Alfie's coaching will start to take hold at some point.

A top 10 pick will really help though, especially if they pick in the top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad