OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’m very proud of what the team has accomplished.

With that being said, I’m disappointed at the loss. I was disappointed in 2015. We won’t always be this good or in the Grey Cup, so I want to see Ottawa rack up a few titles.

Reactions: Al14

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I thought we would have matched up better last night. It didn’t feel like they were really in it from the start. A few plays here and there, a few sustained drives, but that punt return really took the sails off the ship, at the end of the day. It was Calgary’s year, I guess.

Can’t win ‘em every year, but it’s nice to be able to walk away from a season knowing this is a team with the knowledge and resources to make a run every year.

Does this earn Harris another contract in Ottawa, should he want to stay? Was getting to the Grey Cup enough to keep faith in him? I’ll say yes - though with basically every high profile quarterback eligible to go to market once the CBA is sorted (Bo, Reilly....) it could be interesting.

Ah well. Always tough to lose and the disappointing part is I thought they were closer coming in, but the right team won: they beat us 3-times and were clearly better in each one. It would have been robbery if it were us celebrating last night.

Congratulations to Calgary! Is it June yet?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant really be too mad ,the RB,s have given this city some pride back ....I remember going to games and the only highlight was just being outside drinking way too many beers with your buddies...As the actual game would for sure be done by the half

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Redblacks didn't have a championship calibre season though they made it to the finals by beating a terrible Hamilton team. The Championship we won we had a losing record that season. Harris was bad.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Genuinely interested to know our shoe situation vs Calgary's. Could just be selective memory but I felt we had far more trouble with the field than they did.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yeah it seemed like we were never in control at all in this one.

That punt return was absolutely killer, if they go into the half down 14-11, they still have a great chance but it was not to be. That Powell fumble was bad too.

Congrats to Calgary, they stepped up at the right moments and scored the key points they needed to win.

I'm glad no one was seriously hurt last night on that field, that was dangerous the way guys were slipping all night.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If this loss would have been under the Ottawa Rough Riders original franchise, I would have been devastated last night, this morning, and, for the rest of the off season. I was emotionally attached to the Ottawa Rough Riders as a kid, a teenager, and finally, as a man with a young family.

I grew up worshiping the Ottawa Rough Riders. I wanted to play football for the Riders real hard. I even quit hockey to concentrate on football. Unfortunately, I did not grow tall enough in my teen years to even be considered for a pro sport, never mind football.

I actually predicted the demise of the Montreal Alouettes/Concordes in the late 80s much to the chagrin of Montreal fans. I did not ever think our Riders would ever fold, no matter how bad that the ownership was. I was completely, and utterly, devastated by the demise of my beloved Rough Riders. I was also embarrassed too.

Now fast forward to the Renegades. I never got attached to, or cheered really seriously for the Renegades. When that franchise folded it was just a so what moment for me.

I feel the same way about the RedBlacks. Sure, I want them to win and all, but, I'm not attached to this franchise as I was to the Riders. Jeff Hunt and Company has brought pride back to Ottawa with regards to CFL football. However, I remain on the outside looking in. If they win excellent, when they lose, oh well.

I just can't get that emotional connection back with our RedBlacks. I was enormously disappointed when they were not allowed to bring them back as the Rough Riders. I originally hated the RedBlacks nickname. Now, it's okay, but, just okay.

Maybe, some day, I will be more comfortable being a total RedBlacks fan. I still have some major mistrust of the CFL over the 1981 Grey Cup. Tony Gabriel should not have been called for offensive pass interference. This allowed the Eskimos to win that game and steal the Grey Cup from the Riders.

So, yes, I'm disappointed with yesterday's RedBlacks loss, however, life goes on, and, I'm not devastated by it.

Go RedBlacks go in 2019.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The RedBlack's O-line and and the other blockers can be proud of that part of their game. They protected Harris beyond all my expectations. Harris had plenty of time and then some to find his primary and secondary targets. All miscues were on Harris who played most of the game jittery. On many plays he threw low, he threw high, he threw short and he threw behind his receivers. to the point where the defenders had a better chance at many balls. Ellingson was by far the worse of the receivers and that crucial late drop by Sinopoli sealed their fate when there was still that glimmer of hope.

If I heard correctly, from a comment I heard on TGOR, Desjardins blamed this on the fact the RedBlacks couldn't make their cuts on the slippery field and that their offense is designed so Harris throws to a spot where a receiver is supposed to be. I understand that completely but it doesn't explain the right in line low, high and short throws or throwing too far left when a receiver is obviously turning right. It's not like Harris was under pressure on most of those he just looked jumpy. So it may be true on some plays but I don't buy it as an overall argument. Harris was often off target and the receivers are responsible for the drops and close ones that they usually make.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m very proud of what the team has accomplished.

With that being said, I’m disappointed at the loss. I was disappointed in 2015. We won’t always be this good or in the Grey Cup, so I want to see Ottawa rack up a few titles.

Out of the three Grey Cup appearances this was the worst performance by a wide margin and it was the best team we have ever had, kinda understand how Calgary feels.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The RedBlack's O-line and and the other blockers can be proud of that part of their game. They protected Harris beyond all my expectations. Harris had plenty of time and then some to find his primary and secondary targets. All miscues were on Harris who played most of the game jittery. On many plays he threw low, he threw high, he threw short and he threw behind his receivers. to the point where the defenders had a better chance at many balls. Ellingson was by far the worse of the receivers and that crucial late drop by Sinopoli sealed their fate when there was still that glimmer of hope.

If I heard correctly, from a comment I heard on TGOR, Desjardins blamed this on the fact the RedBlacks couldn't make their cuts on the slippery field and that their offense is designed so Harris throws to a spot where a receiver is supposed to be. I understand that completely but it doesn't explain the right in line low, high and short throws or throwing too far left when a receiver is obviously turning right. It's not like Harris was not under pressure on most of those he just looked jumpy. So it may be true on some plays but I don't buy it as an overall argument. Harris was often off target and the receivers are responsible for the drops and close ones that they usually make.

I think Calgary adjusted to the conditions alot better than Ottawa. I do believe Desjardins and from the eye test agree thats how the offence has been run all season, however instead of two cuts one was more than enough. I noticed Calgary changed its game somewhat to run plays that are effective in these conditions.

All in all the best players on offence on the Redblacks who made plays all season did not in this game. That first drop by Ellingson was disastrous in my opinion it mirrored that game in Ottawa where Calgary smoked the RB's. Lots of drops early then Harris lost his confidence. I was scared the same thing would happen and to an extent it did, followed up by two really bad penalties to start the game made me think they just werent prepared for this game like the previous grey cups. That blow out win went to their head. But not just Ellingson and Harris were to blame, Spencer, Powell and even Sinopoli were not at their best. When your best 5 players on offence dont play well its hard to win under any conditions especially against a team as good as Calgary. I thought the O line and the D were tremendous yesterday, really it was the big named stars that did not perform.

The punt return was a killer for sure but I just cant wrap my head around the play calling/decision making at the 6 minute mark when they were down 13 points. Why were they going deep like that? They had so much time, obviously Harris threw the pass but was that actually the play?

I really think that Ottawa has to be the top destination to play at in the league, soft east allows for an easy trip to the grey cup and a great atmosphere to play in. I think taking a stab at Rielly is the move, if not I am sure Harris will want to come back.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Redblacks didn't have a championship calibre season though they made it to the finals by beating a terrible Hamilton team. The Championship we won we had a losing record that season. Harris was bad.

Hamilton was hardly a terrible team they beat the BC Lions by almost 40 pts two weeks earlier & earned the right to be in the final. They had a bad day in Ottawa just like Ottawa had a bad day yesterday, that happens in pro sports but don't start disparaging the Ti-Cats because your team sucked yesterday.

Harris has no arm strength.

This I will agree with to a point, IMO Harris is great between the numbers with 10 to 25 yards downfield, that seems to be his strength having watched him for a few yrs now. I don't think he has the arm strength to throw deep or sideline passes longer than about 15 to 20 yards at the most. I have not been impressed with the offensive co-coordinator all yr with his play calling & it showed again yesterday. The slippery field had a lot to do with things yesterday too but both teams had to play on it.

Reactions: thinkwild and bert

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If this loss would have been under the Ottawa Rough Riders original franchise, I would have been devastated last night, this morning, and, for the rest of the off season. I was emotionally attached to the Ottawa Rough Riders as a kid, a teenager, and finally, as a man with a young family.

I grew up worshiping the Ottawa Rough Riders. I wanted to play football for the Riders real hard. I even quit hockey to concentrate on football. Unfortunately, I did not grow tall enough in my teen years to even be considered for a pro sport, never mind football.

I actually predicted the demise of the Montreal Alouettes/Concordes in the late 80s much to the chagrin of Montreal fans. I did not ever think our Riders would ever fold, no matter how bad that the ownership was. I was completely, and utterly, devastated by the demise of my beloved Rough Riders. I was also embarrassed too.

Now fast forward to the Renegades. I never got attached to, or cheered really seriously for the Renegades. When that franchise folded it was just a so what moment for me.

I feel the same way about the RedBlacks. Sure, I want them to win and all, but, I'm not attached to this franchise as I was to the Riders. Jeff Hunt and Company has brought pride back to Ottawa with regards to CFL football. However, I remain on the outside looking in. If they win excellent, when they lose, oh well.

I just can't get that emotional connection back with our RedBlacks. I was enormously disappointed when they were not allowed to bring them back as the Rough Riders. I originally hated the RedBlacks nickname. Now, it's okay, but, just okay.

Maybe, some day, I will be more comfortable being a total RedBlacks fan. I still have some major mistrust of the CFL over the 1981 Grey Cup. Tony Gabriel should not have been called for offensive pass interference. This allowed the Eskimos to win that game and steal the Grey Cup from the Riders.

So, yes, I'm disappointed with yesterday's RedBlacks loss, however, life goes on, and, I'm not devastated by it.

Go RedBlacks go in 2019.

Same boat as you. Worshipped the Riders as a kid. I like the RBs, but they don't connect like the Riders did. The venue is nice, and the football has been phenomenal compared to what I watched growing up (Super Season 88 lol). I loved the 92 team, i think it was. Burgess, Stephen Jones, Lester Browne...we got robbed in Hamilton with another joke call.

Skip Walker, J.C. Watts, and of course Gabriel. Lousy teams but some great players over the years.

Trevor Harris should be back, he will get better from this experience.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Harris has no arm strength.

I agree somewhat. He can get the ball downfield but his accuracy completely fades. In Toronto he would have a ton of long TDs, but tons of long INTs. He became a safer QB in Ottawa, maybe too safe at times.

I’m almost certain Harris will be backs as long as the team can afford him.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Its too bad the ice made the footing so bad. We will never know how good they could have been on a dry grass. If only they had been smart enough to keep it covered all week.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I agree somewhat. He can get the ball downfield but his accuracy completely fades. In Toronto he would have a ton of long TDs, but tons of long INTs. He became a safer QB in Ottawa, maybe too safe at times.

I’m almost certain Harris will be backs as long as the team can afford him.
He is a good quarter back just not a put you over the top type. Powell played really well and I kind of found throughout the season they really limited his touches. Probably to keep him healthy enough to play in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind them trying to find a good back up to push him though. I think in part that is what kept Burris on his toes.

Do you think there will be an expansion draft?

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa

Go RedBlacks go in 2019.

It’s funny you say this, because my attachment for th REDBLACKS is rooted in my days as a young guy going to Rider games with my dad and grandpa. I agree, the Rough Rider name would have been the cherry on the icing, but the spirit is back and it’s a new generation carrying the torch.

I hope you come back, because it’s a scene unlike anything Ottawa has ATM.

Reactions: thinkwild and Al14

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, I called this one wrong. Games like this often come down to a few crucial plays - Calgary made them, we didn't. That punt return TD was the TSN Turning Point - we spent the rest of the game chasing those points, which meant that we couldn't run the kind of ball control offense that we do best. Having to take deep shots downfield against an excellent Calgary secondary played right into their strengths. Oh, and if we did have a chance to come back, it got snuffed out by Spencer's bonehead fumble. If you want to win a championship game, you can't fumble at crucial times and you can't give up big returns. About three big plays basically cost us the game.

Still, this is a good team with excellent local ownership, well coached and poised to be a contender for many years going forward. Marcel Desjardins has generally drafted very well, and the young core Canadian offensive linemen we have would be the envy of any team. That's the engine of any CFL team, and our engine is in good shape going forward.

One wild card is Powell - great back, but he is on the wrong side of 30 now with plenty of miles on the odometer. Does he have one more big season left in him? Hard to say.

Anyway, can't wait for Training Camp 2019 - this is an easy organization to like and to cheer for...

Reactions: thinkwild

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't watch football often so probably dumb question, but with 20 seconds left, why didn't they just punt it out of bounds? Seems like they are giving the opposition one extra run with the ball, no?

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I don't watch football often so probably dumb question, but with 20 seconds left, why didn't they just punt it out of bounds? Seems like they are giving the opposition one extra run with the ball, no?

I think we are all asking that question

The ball can’t go directly out of bounds on a punt between the 20s without bouncing, however yeah it should have been angled as such.

Reactions: starling

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think we are all asking that question

The ball can’t go directly out of bounds on a punt between the 20s without bouncing, however yeah it should have been angled as such.
What if it goes out without bounce at 30? They start their first down at 30? Or there is also illegal punt penalty?

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
10-yards up from where it went OB.

Actually, yeah, even that would have been better - though I believe the receiving team can opt to make you kick again.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
10-yards up from where it went OB.

Actually, yeah, even that would have been better - though I believe the receiving team can opt to make you kick again.

Correct - they can make you punt again. Agreed fully, though, that they should have kicked that one out of bounds - failure to order the punter to try to get it out of bounds was a coaching mistake. As mentioned earlier, that was the play of the game - Ottawa was within three and finding their feet when that disaster struck, and they never recovered.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I think a lot went wrong in this Grey Cup, it was hard to recover.

The obvious was the field. The field wasn't great in Ottawa, which probably caused them to under-prepare as they thought they were more used to it, when in reality, this field was way worse.

Harris wasn't great. Ellingson wasn't great. Sinnoppoli wasn't great. Spencer wasn't great. Powell was fine. The D did well. The coaching wasn't great. The special teams weren't great.

If the field was better, everything could have changed. If Harris was better, everything could have changed. If we didn't have the fumbles and punt returns, everything could have changed. Plenty of praise to everyone for making it, and some blame to everyone for not getting the job done.

The team will be different next year. Other than Harris, anyone know who's up for FA? Especially on the defensive end?

Do you think there will be an expansion draft?

Honestly, I haven't followed the expansion stuff much. Is there a possibility of one this off-season? I know the team has a conditional acceptance into the league based off building the stadium, right?

The CBA will also be a huge factor...I believe you were talking about it a while ago. I agree with you that this league and the players need to find a way to get the agreement done and not miss any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad