OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
<facepalm> Man, the REDBLACKS had done a good job staying away from stuff like this. This is so disappointing. What a bonehead move by Ellingson, who is one of the last guys you would have expected might do something this stupid.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Redblack Greg Ellingson charged with failing to give a breath sample | CBC News

....and just like that, Ellingson’s days as a REDBLACK likely over....

Damn.

What the f***?!

As others have said, not what you'd expect from Ellingson at all - one of the more level-headed athletes, it would have seemed. This is so disappointing. His legacy in Ottawa was amazing...despite Jackson's perfect catch season, Williams' huge plays, Sinnoppoli's record breaking stats and Spencer's all purpose yards, he stood out as the go-to receiver and heartbeat of the team.

Really tough decision for the Redblacks here. You've established a disciplined organization and respected culture. Turning your head the other way would be pretty non-ethical, but if there was anyone to do it for, it's probably Greg. Damn.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I think he deserves a second chance on this one. I'd bring him back no problem.

Personally, I think I would, too. But I'm sure the league will be on the Redblacks about this. They're pretty involved with team operations and such, and if there's no sort of fallout, it looks a little bad for the league and the Redblacks.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Why do we expect more severe repercussions from athletes that are employed by a private club, than we do from tax funded public servants? When a police officer is charged with a DWI they are not fired, usually just put on administrative service, which i think is much more egregious.

With that said, innocent til proven guilty, as much as it has been watered down in the court of public opinion, still exists and should be respected.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I haven't heard any news about Ellingson and the potential DUI, but then I log into Twitter to see '#inkEllingson' all over the place and Ellingson tweeting his stats saying he didn't have an off-year. Anyone know what's going on?

Also, I've never seen this many high-profile UFA's in the CFL. I'm guessing it has something to do with the impending CBA? Would be crazy if Ottawa could reel in Reilly..

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I haven't heard any news about Ellingson and the potential DUI, but then I log into Twitter to see '#inkEllingson' all over the place and Ellingson tweeting his stats saying he didn't have an off-year. Anyone know what's going on?

Also, I've never seen this many high-profile UFA's in the CFL. I'm guessing it has something to do with the impending CBA? Would be crazy if Ottawa could reel in Reilly..

I think Dave Naylor was saying Ottawa offered Harris 500k but he wants north of 600k. Like it or not, with Bo all but gone, Harris knows his pay day contract is on the horizon so I don't blame him for going after money. It's really him and the other man you mentioned (Reilly) as the marquee free agents. I'd be surprised if Reilly doesn't end up in BC....

Should be interesting. We've re-upped Dominique Davis and brought in Chris Randle from Winnipeg, but it is quiet in an unsettling way. They still need to sort out the CBA as well....

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Seeing as there is a shortage of NFL quarterbacks and they appear to taking our best, only make sense Harris would ask for the moon. It's too bad he is not really worth it but Ottawa would be dumb not to pay it.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I think Dave Naylor was saying Ottawa offered Harris 500k but he wants north of 600k. Like it or not, with Bo all but gone, Harris knows his pay day contract is on the horizon so I don't blame him for going after money. It's really him and the other man you mentioned (Reilly) as the marquee free agents. I'd be surprised if Reilly doesn't end up in BC....

Should be interesting. We've re-upped Dominique Davis and brought in Chris Randle from Winnipeg, but it is quiet in an unsettling way. They still need to sort out the CBA as well....

Wow, that's a lot of money. As Stylizer pointed out, we don't really have a choice, though. If we don't sign him, and Rielly goes to BC, we have no QB.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wow, that's a lot of money. As Stylizer pointed out, we don't really have a choice, though. If we don't sign him, and Rielly goes to BC, we have no QB.

I could see the REDBLACKS eyeing a guy like Jonathan Jennings from BC. Jennings would come cheap, and does have a track record of CFL success. He regressed in the last year or so behind a leaky offensive line, but he's just the kind of guy who could be poised to break out in the right situation.

It's worth noting that Harris himself was 30 before he became a full time CFL starter. I'd like to keep Harris, but if his demands become too high the REDBLACKS might have to move on, especially in a league with a low, hard salary cap.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I could see the REDBLACKS eyeing a guy like Jonathan Jennings from BC. Jennings would come cheap, and does have a track record of CFL success. He regressed in the last year or so behind a leaky offensive line, but he's just the kind of guy who could be poised to break out in the right situation.

It's worth noting that Harris himself was 30 before he became a full time CFL starter. I'd like to keep Harris, but if his demands become too high the REDBLACKS might have to move on, especially in a league with a low, hard salary cap.

Jennings has been declining for more than a year. Please no.

It’s a tough spot for the REDBLACKS, but in a league where you don’t win without a proven starter at QB, you have to make every effort to retain him (unless there’s some crazy plan to make Reilly a huge offer which I doubt). I know Harris hasn’t won anything yet, but he certainly isn’t regressing and he did get us to the big game, which in a league starved for proven quarterbacks is valuable.

Let’s assume Bo is down in the NFL:

BC: ?
Edmonton: ?
Calgary: ?
Saskatchewan: ?
Winnipeg: Nichols

Hamilton: Masoli
Toronto: Ray?
Ottawa: ?
Montreal: Manziel

By my count, that’s 5 and potentially 6 teams needing a quarterback. Available could be (of the notables) Reilly, Harris, Collaros, Lulay, Bridge, that’s it? I have Ray pencilled in for the Argos since if he’s not there he’s likely retiring. It’s a big time players market for quarterbacks. I realize it jeopardizes keeping players like Powell and Ellingson, but without a viable quarterback you win nothing anyway, so I’d rather overpay for Harris than roll the dice on a guy like Jennings. I’d rather go with an athletic Davis than a reclaimation project.

Aside from Reilly, I’d say of that list, Harris now becomes the second best quarterback in the league.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Jennings has been declining for more than a year. Please no.

It’s a tough spot for the REDBLACKS, but in a league where you don’t win without a proven starter at QB, you have to make every effort to retain him (unless there’s some crazy plan to make Reilly a huge offer which I doubt). I know Harris hasn’t won anything yet, but he certainly isn’t regressing and he did get us to the big game, which in a league starved for proven quarterbacks is valuable.

Let’s assume Bo is down in the NFL:

BC: ?
Edmonton: ?
Calgary: ?
Saskatchewan: ?
Winnipeg: Nichols

Hamilton: Masoli
Toronto: Ray?
Ottawa: ?
Montreal: Manziel

By my count, that’s 5 and potentially 6 teams needing a quarterback. Available could be (of the notables) Reilly, Harris, Collaros, Lulay, Bridge, that’s it? I have Ray pencilled in for the Argos since if he’s not there he’s likely retiring. It’s a big time players market for quarterbacks. I realize it jeopardizes keeping players like Powell and Ellingson, but without a viable quarterback you win nothing anyway, so I’d rather overpay for Harris than roll the dice on a guy like Jennings. I’d rather go with an athletic Davis than a reclaimation project.

Aside from Reilly, I’d say of that list, Harris now becomes the second best quarterback in the league.

Great post.

Harris was solid last season, not amazing, but solid. But as you point out, the talent at the QB position is severely lacking. Keeping Harris is huuuuuuge.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Rose re-signs. That’s quite the secondary now with Randle, Pruneau and Rose all locked up.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Really not a fan of Pruneau. Way too slow for the safety position.

It’s interesting with him: he’s not fast, but he’s smart and reads plays at a level that can’t be taught. He’s like Mark Stone in that way that makes him effective. You’re not wrong, but you’re not telling the whole story on him IMO.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
This is based on nothing but my inebriated Friday night thoughts, but TSN reporting other teams being allowed to talk to Reilly ahead of FA. Days in Edm must be done. So my crazy thought was, “wouldn’t it be ridiculous if Reilly ends up in OTTAWA?!” I know it’s probably not happening, but then again, they lured Burris to Ottawa with money and professionalism, in that order. Say the REDBLACKS recognize the contract between them and how the Sens are run and go get that big fish. I’m getting myself set up for disappointment now lol....

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
This is based on nothing but my inebriated Friday night thoughts, but TSN reporting other teams being allowed to talk to Reilly ahead of FA. Days in Edm must be done. So my crazy thought was, “wouldn’t it be ridiculous if Reilly ends up in OTTAWA?!” I know it’s probably not happening, but then again, they lured Burris to Ottawa with money and professionalism, in that order. Say the REDBLACKS recognize the contract between them and how the Sens are run and go get that big fish. I’m getting myself set up for disappointment now lol....

It’s definitely crossed my mind. Our GM has attracted talent here before. We have a great stadium, strong fanbase and a successful franchise so far. A guy like Rielly probably puts us over the top.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
What a contract for Reilly! Harris is sure to get the $650,000 he was seeking. A bit worried this won’t end the way we want it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad