OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Apologies if I've missed a recent thread, but figured wouldn't hurt to start a fresh REDBLACKS forum for the upcoming season. At least we have one team to be proud of in the city at the moment. ;)

Health depending (no different for any other team), this could be a pretty strong season. The soldiers remain in place offensively, but with the renewed focus on the defensive side of the ball, I'm expecting a lot of wins in 2018. Thorpe is one of the best, and he's aggressive. With guys like Purifoy, Leonard, Newsome, Hebert and Pruneau leading "d-block", I like our group. The pass rush should be among the best.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Apologies if I've missed a recent thread, but figured wouldn't hurt to start a fresh REDBLACKS forum for the upcoming season. At least we have one team to be proud of in the city at the moment. ;)

Health depending (no different for any other team), this could be a pretty strong season. The soldiers remain in place offensively, but with the renewed focus on the defensive side of the ball, I'm expecting a lot of wins in 2018. Thorpe is one of the best, and he's aggressive. With guys like Purifoy, Leonard, Newsome, Hebert and Pruneau leading "d-block", I like our group. The pass rush should be among the best.

Yeah defence should hold us in a lot of games.

The offence however I'm not so sure, lots of questions there. Although I'm really excited to see what Spencer does this year!

Reactions: Larionov

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm excited too. Harris should be ready to go for the start of the regular season.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The offense should be fine. Keep in mind that Harris was tied for the lead in TD passes last year despite missing games due to injury. The problem was on D, and it looks improved - credit to management for recognizing the need on D and acting on it.

The East is a straight two way battle between the Argos and REDBLACKS - the Alouettes are a mess, and the Ti-Cats are both overrated and dealing with the self-inflicted wound of bringing in Johnny Football. (QB controversies divide dressing rooms, and the media circus is going to be a distraction for them all year.)

Can't wait for opening night on June 21!

Reactions: bert

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Agreed, the offence is the strength of the this team. From a returning and motivated starting QB, some decent back up competition, to great depth and weaponry on the ball carriers and receivers. The o line is intact and one year older.

Ottawa will be able to outscore itself out of problems.

The offseason has been about identifying talent and bolstering the Defence. Hopefully they have fixed the weakness which as getting pressure on the opposing QB. And they remain to be a bit thin on the corners. Although it looks like it is getting better.

Ottawa will make the playoffs again and should be able to win the 1st round. The rest is gravy.

The football season couldn't start at a better time with the Senators turning into a complete embarrassment of a franchise (no budget, weak ownership) it's almost like the roles have been reversed. The CFL team is good vibes...

East it's the RB's and the Argos.
West it's the Bombers and Esks.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Saturday

The Ottawa REDBLACKS of the Canadian Football League made the following roster transactions:
RELEASED:
  • International receiver Garry Brown (California – PA)
  • International defensive back Victor Gamboa (Eastern Washington)
  • International defensive lineman Bruce Gaston (Purdue)
  • International offensive lineman David Goldsby (Buffalo)
  • National running back Ed Ilnicki (Alberta)
  • International running back Cedrick O’Neal (Valdosta State)
  • International linebacker D.J. Sanders (Middle Tennessee State)
  • International defensive back Brandon Stewart (Kansas)
  • National receiver Stephen Ugbah (Manitoba)

Reactions: DJB

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Sunday
The Ottawa REDBLACKS of the Canadian Football League made the following roster transactions:
ADDED TO PRACTICE ROSTER
  • International quarterback Will Arndt (Wetern Connecticut State)
  • International defensive back Sherrod Baltimore (Maine)
  • International offensive lineman Armando Bonheur (Samford)
  • International defensive lineman Harold Brantley (Northwest Missouri State)
  • International receiver Seth Coate (St. Francis – IN)
  • National linebacker Mickael Cote (Concordia)
  • National offensive lineman Jacob Cjaza (St. Franvis Xavier)
  • International defensive back Reggie Daniels (Oregon)
  • International defensive back Aarion Penton (Missouri)
  • International receiver R.J. Shelton (Michigan State)
RELEASED

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ed Ilnicki won the Hec Creighton Award for top Canadian university player last year - that is an award that Brad Sinopoli had won previously. They had high hopes for him as a back up running back and special teams guy, but he kind of flopped in camp and was clearly outplayed by the guys who were already here. That was a bit of a surprise. Beyond that, no real big names jump out at you from the list...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
200w.gif

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Was hoping to see more of Ilnicki in the pre-season, but he was hard-pressed to even earn that #2 spot ahead of Madu, never mind Powell. I worry he turns into one of those "can you believe the REDBLACKS cut that guy?!" type of players.

In any case, finally some football that counts later this week!

WEEK 1:

Thu: EDM@WPG
Fri: TOR@SSK
Sat: HAM@CGY
Sat: MTL@BC

BYE: OTT

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've got a great feeling about this season.

I do as well. Desjardins and Campbell were unhappy about how last year went, and went out and made some smart moves both on the coaching staff and on the roster. That's what good franchises do - retool as opposed to having to blow it up and start over.

I think Hamilton is going to struggle under the self-inflicted weight of a QB controversy, and Montreal is going to be flat out terrible. Kavis Reed is the worst GM in the CFL by a long shot, and bringing in an old NFL/NCAA head coach to learn the Canadian game on the fly is usually a recipe for disaster. I can see the Als going 2-16...

Reactions: MVP Tom Pyatt

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I'm on board with everyone saying it's a two-horse race between Toronto and Ottawa. Probably comes down to whoever is healthier, honestly.

I have optimism for this season. Harris is a very talented quarterback.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'm on board with everyone saying it's a two-horse race between Toronto and Ottawa. Probably comes down to whoever is healthier, honestly.

I have optimism for this season. Harris is a very talented quarterback.

Yeah that is my worry with the offence, I figure our depth isn't too great in case of injuries, but that is probably a problem with most teams.

I do agree it's between Toronto and Ottawa. Although I don't think Hamilton will be as bad as people think.

Last edited:

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I gave it the old college try, but couldn't stay up beyond the second weather delay night. Kinda sucks how everything played out for the Bombers season opener for them....

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I gave it the old college try, but couldn't stay up beyond the second weather delay night. Kinda sucks how everything played out for the Bombers season opener for them....

It turned out to be a heck of a game. Too bad most of the country couldn't stay up late enough to watch it! I thought that Edmonton was going to blow them out, but hats off to Winnipeg and their rookie QB for staying right in there. They probably should have won it, TBH...

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Yeah that is my worry with the offence, I figure our depth isn't too great in case of injuries, but that is probably a problem with most teams.

I do agree it's between Toronto and Ottawa. Although I don't think Hamilton will be as bad as people think.

Hamilton is probably a team slightly below .500% with potential of doing better if Manziel excels (which, you know, he could).

And yeah, football injuries are brutal. Feel like every team gets tons of them.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Hamilton is probably a team slightly below .500% with potential of doing better if Manziel excels (which, you know, he could).

And yeah, football injuries are brutal. Feel like every team gets tons of them.

I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss Hamilton, yet. I know the Manziel hype train continues to barrel down the tracks (and well it should), but I’ve been a fan of Masoli for years and with some experience under his belt, coupled with being one of the most agile QBs in the league, I think it’s Masoli who is sort of a sleeper, somehow, in Hamilton.

They have talent and coaching, so if anything will disrupt a strong season there it’s their self-made quarterback controversy. Masoli has earned the privilege to throw an incomplete pass, miss a receiver, throw the odd pick or lose a game without feeling like he has to look over his shoulder as if people are wanting him to fail. All of this, of course, within reason (no player can make an endless pattern of mistakes and keep his job), but the downfall might be the pressure to take him out when they shouldn’t. Hamilton is a wildcard for sure.

Good game last night in SSK. With the league so small relatively speaking and our division only 4-teams deep, nice to see our division rivals lose to the west!

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Bring on CFL football season with a franchise who's main goal is to WIN and offer a great product (on and off the field).

A packed house and a good time!!

Something to look forward.... unlike the other elephant in the room who also wears red, while and black.

Reactions: bert and Sensung

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
F**k I'd love for the REDBLACKS to make a statement tonight against these guys.

Ellingson vs Carter should be a fun match up head-to-head. Look out for Powell tonight though, I think. Much is made about the pass attack, meanwhile we have one of the best backs in the league right now who I feel is overlooked because of injuries last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad