OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Still need a stud at RB and a burner receiver. LT upgrade. Stud D-line and better quality DBs. Certainly more work to do. But at least we see efforts of addressing last years debacle.

Reactions: Larionov

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Still need a stud at RB and a burner receiver. LT upgrade. Stud D-line and better quality DBs. Certainly more work to do. But at least we see efforts of addressing last years debacle.

Good points all. They did sign Akeem Hunt, former NFL running back, in the off-season, so he is coming to camp. On paper anyway, he looks to be an upgrade. John Crockett also played well here last year when he was healthy, but kept getting hurt. I think they're bringing him back, but dude needs to stay in the lineup. As they say, you can't make the club from the tub...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I liked Crockett when he was playing. I guess XFL will cut in to available talent a little. Another Vic Washington would be outstanding though.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Desjardins says we won't be spending on any wrs. Just brutal.
Was gonna say, spend on a quality WR like Derel Walker and might be a half decent team next year. Disappointing that that won’t be the case, although once upon a time Greg Ellingson and Diontae Spencer were solid, but kind of under the radar pickups so you never know

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Was gonna say, spend on a quality WR like Derel Walker and might be a half decent team next year. Disappointing that that won’t be the case, although once upon a time Greg Ellingson and Diontae Spencer were solid, but kind of under the radar pickups so you never know

Today would have been a homerun if they added a wr like Waker. Instead I give them a C. They had an awful wr core last year and lost Rhymes.

Reactions: Senator23
Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
Couldn't agree more - the team desperately needs to add a #1 WR and a deep threat for Arbuckle to thrive. Very puzzling to me. I'm starting to think that cap management isn't the greatest strength in Marcel Desjardins' repertoire LOL.

Reactions: Daffy and Senator23

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I really like the moves. Our defense is going to win us games and I think our offense will be fine, although I have high hopes for Arbuckle. We did add Coombs who is a wildcard that could be in for a big breakout season

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Good job upgrading on D. And some more depth at the running back position.

Desjardins must have a plan for more weapons on at the receiver position.

The XFL ends when the CFL begins so there's an extra little layer to the season. Followed by NFL cuts leading into the fall so I wouldn't through in the towel quite yet.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Good job upgrading on D. And some more depth at the running back position.

Desjardins must have a plan for more weapons on at the receiver position.

The XFL ends when the CFL begins so there's an extra little layer to the season. Followed by NFL cuts leading into the fall so I wouldn't through in the towel quite yet.

Desjardins says they have no money.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know it's not popular, but I can understand the reluctance to spend big money on a receiver. If you look around the league, there are still a number of receivers still unsigned, so eventually they are going to have to drop their price. You'll also have some XFL receivers looking for work come the end of April. I'm rather spend on an impact Canadian defensive lineman like Laing than on an import receiver - the Canadian DL is clearly harder to find...

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I know it's not popular, but I can understand the reluctance to spend big money on a receiver. If you look around the league, there are still a number of receivers still unsigned, so eventually they are going to have to drop their price. You'll also have some XFL receivers looking for work come the end of April. I'm rather spend on an impact Canadian defensive lineman like Laing than on an import receiver - the Canadian DL is clearly harder to find...

Agreed, as long as they don’t think their work at WR is done with the group they have. I won’t be happy if they just add a couple depth guys and call it a day. Their WR corps was terrible last year and they lost one of the best in Rhymes

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Rhymes didn't impress me last year - he gave up on routes and looked a little lazy at times, frankly. I'm not heartbroken that they didn't bring him back. Keep in mind that there a lot of guys coming to camp who we have never heard of before - at one stage in his career a guy like Greg Ellingson was that player, coming north with absolutely no fanfare. The key is having some of those guys work out for you.

Reactions: Senator23

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Rhymes didn't impress me last year - he gave up on routes and looked a little lazy at times, frankly. I'm not heartbroken that they didn't bring him back. Keep in mind that there a lot of guys coming to camp who we have never heard of before - at one stage in his career a guy like Greg Ellingson was that player, coming north with absolutely no fanfare. The key is having some of those guys work out for you.
Definitely agree with what you said about Ellingson, he wasn’t that high profile of a signing. Diontae Spencer wasn’t an unknown, but wasn’t a “splash” signing either... people were mad we signed him as a wideout instead of bringing back Jackson. That being said, it’s definitely risky

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Great QBs make okay Wrs very good .. I wouldn't worry too much right now.

To this point, Tom Brady won Super Bowls with a group of receivers you couldn't pick out of a police lineup. Seriously, how many truly amazing Hall of Fame receivers did Brady ever throw to? Not many. Belichick figured out, to your point, that receiver was one place where spending big money was overrated...

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
To this point, Tom Brady won Super Bowls with a group of receivers you couldn't pick out of a police lineup. Seriously, how many truly amazing Hall of Fame receivers did Brady ever throw to? Not many. Belichick figured out, to your point, that receiver was one place where spending big money was overrated...

Not sure how much I agree with that. Gronk played a huge role at converting in the end zone. And beyond the Pats, I’d say Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin were pretty important to those respective dynasties... you at least need a go-to receiver in the end zone, and one solid burner. We have Sinopoli, but we need someone to compliment him at least

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I wonder if Cory Greenwood, would sign with the Redblacks, being from Kingston. He is older, but when healthy is a difference maker at MLB or WLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad