Ottawa - Edmonton - Islanders Draft Discussion

Pyke*

Why is/was Couturier being dumped on so much? It's made me think he's the least desirable of the "Big 4".

He's a "safe" pick. He doesn't have the home run element that RNH does. He also doesn't have the "intangibles" that make people love Landeskog (though I feel he's trmeendously overrated). He's also not regarded as the BPA like Larsson.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
What? there is no definite number 1 pick this year. There is no Gretzky - Lemieux - Crosby and Ovechkin. Any of these players could go number 1 that is why I started the thread. I wanted to see what the consensus was. We are currently at three pages and everyone has had a different opinion on what they feel their team would choose.

I think the Oil have RNH listed first. I also think Ottawa may have RNH listed first. Others feel differently. I think it is a good discussion and you must feel the same way or you wouldn't have bothered to post your comments about Larsson and Landeskog going 1 -2.

on the terms defined. Which was to put the issue in terms of what team should choose which player on the basis of team needs or a preference for a certain type of player. Which I do not think is the basis on which teams are going to make their choice. Hence it is pointless to discuss their options as if it was. It doesn't matter to anyone that you think the Oilers should draft a center, and what kind of center. The Oilers are going to draft according to how they evaluate these players. If anyone have any impressions or information about that, that would be worth discussing.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yes the Isles need D but I can't see them swapping with the oilers or drafting Murphy or Hamilton over guys like Couturier, RNH, Landeskog...I just don't see it

Well we have Hamonic who looks pretty good so far in the NHL and De Haan as well. We still could use one more defenseman but I think LW more of a pressing need. That being said I still take Larsson #1 not sure who would be #2

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
I'm starting to think Couturier is getting really underrated. He has significantly better numbers than RNH, especially when considering ES scoring. He looks a little awkward at times on his skates, but that has a lot to do with the fact that he is so tall. He also has a lot of room to grow as he is 6'4" but only 190 lbs.

He wasn't amazing in the WJC, but simply making the team and not looking out of place as a draft eligible player is pretty darn good. No he doesn't have the offensive potential of Hall or Stamkos, but I think he has more offense in him than he gets credit for. He gets compared to Jordan Staal, but he is at 1.7 ppg, whereas Staal was 1.0 ppg in his best junior year. Far more offensive ability. I see him as somewhere between Staal and Thornton.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Nugent-Hopkins has 27 points in his last 10. On fire! But as for the discussion I think The Senators are leaning towards RNH, but if their scout like Couturier or Landeskog they could take any of the 3. NYI and Edmonton are probably targeting Larsson. I think he would be a perfect fit in Edmonton, but if the Isles get the higher pick they will not pass him up. All I know is the 4th overall team is going to be really happy with their position as they are getting an elite prospect.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Adam Larsson is the consensus first overall pick player.2nd overall though is a toss up where you can pick anyone of these 3 and get a good player.

Adam Larsson

Ryan Nugent hopkins
Sean Couturier
Gabriel Landekog

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Is this a case where if you're drafting Top 4 you can't go wrong?

Yes, in the sense that the top 4 are clearly ahead of the pack and that if you're bottom 4, then you are guaranteed a great prospect

However, unless you pick 4th and take the last man left, I think you can go wrong because even though they are all great now, one of them will most likely undoubtedly be the best of the group

Pyke*

26th goal for Landeskog tonight!! He has missed about 14 games! He has 18 games less played than RHN!! :yo:

Landeskog - OHL (November 1992):
37 games played
26 goals (0.70 GPG)
24 assists (0.65 APG)
50 points (1.35 PPG)
==> Not in the Top 20 in Scoring in the OHL
--> Prorated Stats (52 games - most anyone has in OHL) would put him at 70 points (14th). Also note that injuries for PWF type players are common though.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show

Nugent-Hopkins - WHL (April 1993):
55 games played
20 goals (0.36 GPG)
63 assists (1.15 APG)
83 points (1.51 PPG)
==> 3rd in WHL Scoring
http://www.whl.ca/stats/show

Much rather RNH.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Landeskog - OHL (November 1992):
37 games played
26 goals (0.70 GPG)
24 assists (0.65 APG)
50 points (1.35 PPG)
==> Not in the Top 20 in Scoring in the OHL
--> Prorated Stats (52 games - most anyone has in OHL) would put him at 70 points (14th). Also note that injuries for PWF type players are common though.

Nugent-Hopkins - WHL (April 1993):
55 games played
20 goals (0.36 GPG)
63 assists (1.15 APG)
83 points (1.51 PPG)
==> 3rd in WHL Scoring
http://www.whl.ca/stats/show

Much rather RNH.

ITT getting points is all that matters.

Ryan Strome - OHL (July 1993)

53 games played
26 goals (0.49 GPG)
63 assists (1.19 APG)
89 points (1.68 PPG)
===> 1st in OHL Scoring

Much rather Strome?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Those are some ridiculous numbers. What's the knock on this guy if he isn't as highly regarded as the Big 4?

I don't know to be honest. I've been a big fan of his for a while, but any time I bring him up I'm noted as a 'Strome nuthugger' and there's no way he's as offensively talented as RNH. Every time I ask about him in comparison to RNH the main answer I get is "RNH is better at everything."

I doubt this stuff to be true, but what can you say without coming off as a 'nuthugger.' If everyone thinks the top 4 are better it must be true.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Those are some ridiculous numbers. What's the knock on this guy if he isn't as highly regarded as the Big 4?

Not as skilled or as good a skater as RNH. Not a near sure shot all-situations defensemen. Not 6'4 200 and a dominant scorer. Not NHL ready with intangibles like Lando.

As far as prospect in general goes (not comparing style) he comes off like a Kadri level prospect. Probably tops out at 2nd line C.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't know to be honest. I've been a big fan of his for a while, but any time I bring him up I'm noted as a 'Strome nuthugger' and there's no way he's as offensively talented as RNH. Every time I ask about him in comparison to RNH the main answer I get is "RNH is better at everything."

I doubt this stuff to be true, but what can you say without coming off as a 'nuthugger.' If everyone thinks the top 4 are better it must be true.

Hopkins has softer hands and has a higher hockey IQ in my opinion. Strome has a lot of other advantages. Shot, size, etc.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not as skilled or as good a skater as RNH. Not a near sure shot all-situations defensemen. Not 6'4 200 and a dominant scorer. Not NHL ready with intangibles like Lando.

As far as prospect in general goes (not comparing style) he comes off like a Kadri level prospect. Probably tops out at 2nd line C.

Whether or not he is as skilled is debatable, but his skating is great and definitely not on a lower level than RNH. He's a very dominant scorer (though not as big as Couturier, he's bigger than RNH and still very young.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad