Ottawa - Edmonton - Islanders Draft Discussion

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Ottawa wants Landeskog
Edmonton wants Larsson
New York wants Larsson, but might have to go with RNH/Couturier

Why?
Landeskog - Alfredsson got a couple years left (2), and Landeskog is the one who is the most ready to jump into the NHL. Alfredsson could be a great influence on Landeskog as they are both Swedes. There is also Karlsson too.

Larsson - Oilers are pretty set up front for the futur with Hall,Eberle and Paajarvi just to name a few. That is their last 3 drafts they have gone with a forward. I think its time they get a sure future #1 d-man in their system.

Islanders - Ideally they would go with Larsson I believe, but might have to opt for RNH or Couturier which are by all means NOT consolation prices. Both are extreme talents who the Islanders could definately use. I just feel that having Larsson on the back end and Tavares and Nino up front could be good.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
In other words, Ottawa will choose Landeskog because he's a Swedish winger and the Oilers will choose Larsson because he's a defenceman? Do you really think it's that simple?

sauce11

Apr 8, 2010
ottawa has a 1st line center (spezza) and a 3rd line center (kelly)... i realize that drafting by position is not the way to go, but please, for the love of god, build the team down the middle now

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Oilers NEED Larsson imo.. It will be a huge mistake of them to pass on him.

We desperately need both going forward, a #1D and a #1C for the future. Thankfully, 3 of the top 4 players fill that need, so I am thankful for getting one of those guys. Who we decide to draft is unclear IMO.

Pyke*

ottawa has a 1st line center (spezza) and a 3rd line center (kelly)... i realize that drafting by position is not the way to go, but please, for the love of god, build the team down the middle now

RNH is the highest upside in the draft in my view, so no issue with us picking him.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We desperately need both going forward, a #1D and a #1C for the future. Thankfully, 3 of the top 4 players fill that need, so I am thankful for getting one of those guys. Who we decide to draft is unclear IMO.

Even Landeskog fills a need. A winger with grit, leadership abilites, physicality that can score. We do have an overabundance of skilled wingers but we don't have one like Landeskog.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa wants Landeskog
Edmonton wants Larsson
New York wants Larsson, but might have to go with RNH/Couturier

Why?
Landeskog - Alfredsson got a couple years left (2), and Landeskog is the one who is the most ready to jump into the NHL. Alfredsson could be a great influence on Landeskog as they are both Swedes. There is also Karlsson too.

Larsson - Oilers are pretty set up front for the futur with Hall,Eberle and Paajarvi just to name a few. That is their last 3 drafts they have gone with a forward. I think its time they get a sure future #1 d-man in their system.

Islanders - Ideally they would go with Larsson I believe, but might have to opt for RNH or Couturier which are by all means NOT consolation prices. Both are extreme talents who the Islanders could definately use. I just feel that having Larsson on the back end and Tavares and Nino up front could be good.

Ottawa may want Landeskog, but I really hope that the extent of the scouting that goes into the decision is more than "he's a Swedish winger and Alfie's a Swedish winger." I'll grant you that he is most ready to step into the NHL, but drafting for NHL-readiness is a lousy tactic IMO.

If RNH is the better pick they they'd have to pick him regardless of nationality.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
Ottawa is in good shape. There are plenty of forwards and the Sens have enough D in the pipeline.

I think the other 2 are really going to be pulling hard for Larsson. I know the Islanders need help everywhere but they are weakest on D.

Tavares and Nino are a good enough core up front where free agents should be able to fill out most of the offense.

Edmonton-Larsson
NYI - RNH - They have their Couturier with Nino. I really think we might see a rare trade down as long as it is only a couple picks down (For Murphy or Hamilton) and they get a proven player in return.

I think Landeskog is a better player but Ottawa needs a guy like Couturier.

I don't know what Garth thinks of the top 4..but for whats its worth...if Larsson or RNH are off the board by the time the Isles pick probably at 3..I would personally trade down to get Murphy..but again I nor does anybody else know whats goes on in Garths head. I hope also that Ottawa some how ends up out in the top 2 for picks..with a little luck maybe they get bounced back a spot by the ping pong balls. I want either Larssons or RNH....don't really get excited over SC or Landy

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I don't know what Garth thinks of the top 4..but for whats its worth...if Larsson or RNH are off the board by the time the Isles pick probably at 3..I would personally trade down to get Murphy..but again I nor does anybody else know whats goes on in Garths head. I hope also that Ottawa some how ends up out in the top 2 for picks..with a little luck maybe they get bounced back a spot by the ping pong balls. I want either Larssons or RNH....don't really get excited over SC or Landy

What makes you such a fan of Murphy? No doubt the kid has skills but if the Isles want to go defense and Larsson is off the board, I much rather go with Dougie Hamilton.

I'd be thrilled with any of the top 4. I dont think drafting Nino last season should deter from the Isles taking Landeskog this year if hes the BPA. I dont think you can ever have too many players like them on your team.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
What makes you such a fan of Murphy? No doubt the kid has skills but if the Isles want to go defense and Larsson is off the board, I much rather go with Dougie Hamilton.

I'd be thrilled with any of the top 4. I dont think drafting Nino last season should deter from the Isles taking Landeskog this year if hes the BPA. I dont think you can ever have too many players like them on your team.

I'm of the opinion that in the new NHL speed with skill is the best attributes to have. In particular the Isles have sizable forwards already that are ave in skating at best. add to that the emergence of Grabner maybe Garth will go away from his "Flyer" philosphy were bigeer is better. I think Murphy brings skill and also upgrades our team speed because for the most part the Isles are below avg. We have players with developing skill along with size and grit...now we need more Grabners..guys with skill AND WHeels. Hopfully Garth see what I see and Goes after Larsson, RNH and Murphy w/an extra 2nd rounder.

don't get me wrong Landy and SC are great propects but we don't need SC style of play cuz we already got K.O and Nino and Landy..and I know i'm in the minority isn't worth taking at 3...at 3 we need an elite, speedy scorer or a franchise d-man..not a ra.ra leader type....again i know there'a alot of people riding the Landy bandwagon..I'm just not one of them.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
A lot of people are basing their predictions on need, usually this high teams go w/ who they see as BPA, unless both players are equally projected by team X, which we don't know how these teams assess each of these players.

I like RNH's fit for the Isles b/c he can be an elite puck carrier and playmaker that suits JT very well. Something tells me that NYI will go with most NHL ready, NHL bodied, "safe to be an NHL'er" pick, that has been their trend w/ this rebuild (e.g. KO, Bailey, JT, Nino).

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
A lot of people are basing their predictions on need, usually this high teams go w/ who they see as BPA, unless both players are equally projected by team X, which we don't know how these teams assess each of these players.

I like RNH's fit for the Isles b/c he can be an elite puck carrier and playmaker that suits JT very well. Something tells me that NYI will go with most NHL ready, NHL bodied, "safe to be an NHL'er" pick, that has been their trend w/ this rebuild (e.g. KO, Bailey, JT, Nino).

agreed 100%...thats why IMO larsson is #1 on their list just like everybody elses. The Isles trend has been pick the most NHL ready forward with size. This is logical because the Isles have a very tough time getting quality forward F/A to play for them.

They tried Nino this year in part B/c of KO's injury and because of his size but realize he was better off back in the WHL. They rushed Bailey, KO and JT out of necessity but now they have more depth, I believe, especially with the 2nd or 3rd or even 4th pick they can draft for speed and skill with the intention of maybe letting the player develope a little in the minors for a yr or 2...and that would be the case with RNH. I also would believe this would be the case for Landy and SC also

oh.1 more thing...I think this year more than any other in memory the BPA is not so clear cut for the top 4. I think most think Larsson is #1 but all the major scouting services have him at 2 or 3 and SC was #1 for most of the year and lately in the past month RNH and Landy also have been getting much press.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

How is it a trend when the isles have recently drafted 1st rounders De Haan and Nelson,who everyone knew weren't close to being 'nhl ready'?

KO was headed to college after being drafted.The only reason he didn't stay 4 yrs,was because the isles were unhappy with his head coach and the whole Minn. program.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
How is it a trend when the isles have recently drafted 1st rounders De Haan and Nelson,who everyone knew weren't close to being 'nhl ready'?

KO was headed to college after being drafted.The only reason he didn't stay 4 yrs,was because the isles were unhappy with his head coach and the whole Minn. program.

niether one of them were in the top 5 ..check that even in the top ten..de haan was what 15th I think and Brock Nelson was a high schooler projected to be a second rounder drafted at 30th, also these were our second pick in that round. Its very hard to draft an NHL ready player mid to late round of the first or any round for that matter. When your talking the overall top 10 or so thats a different story..you hope the best of the best maybe able to step in right away and make an impact..it all depends on how desperate the team is. All the other players mentioned KO, Bailey, JT and Nino are all top 10 picks..thats the difference. Also as far as De Haan goes..the Isles weren't as desperate for a D-man as they were for forwards.

KO - true the Isles were not happy with the Minn program but also KO knew he'd be in the NHL sooner rather than later getting PPPPAAAIIIDDD instead of eating Ramon noodles and that why he agreed to leave knowing the Isles were desperate.

Oilmageddon*

Everybody is assuming Oil take Larsson we have lacked 1C for over a decade both Rnh and Couturier would be selected by the Oil before Larsson book it

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
Everybody is assuming Oil take Larsson we have lacked 1C for over a decade both Rnh and Couturier would be selected by the Oil before Larsson book it

ummm..not to say that you might right..but if they do draft a center that would be a mistake in the sense that the Oilers ..and correct me if i'm wrong doesn't have a stable of top d-man prospects and have giving up the most goals in the NHL to date...logic would dictate that Larsson would be the BEST choice...logically speaking of course....hey as an Isles Fan I hope the Oil pick SC..just stay away from RNH

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it could happen...oilers- SC
crooked senators - RNH
Isles - Larsson

honestly, if larsson is available I think the sens take him.

We may have a lot of d prospects already, but none like him, and we have another 2 picks in the top ~33 to grab forwards.

nothing wrong with the nashville model.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

I believe that's their trend with top-10 picks, although I could be wrong. Perhaps they think that if they are picking that high they better at least get a sure fire NHL'er. Plus, as we know they favor character.

KO was a different draft decision making team, although some of the scouts are holdovers from that draft.

That said, I'd be content with either of the top-4, and there's always the possibility of winning the lottery. Three years consecutively the worst place team retained their spot.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The most success the Oilers have had in the past 20 years came off the back of Chris Pronger.

I think Larsson makes the most sense.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The most success the Oilers have had in the past 20 years came off the back of Chris Pronger.

I think Larsson makes the most sense.

that is, if Larsson can live up to expectations...which is really tough to figure out from d-men...the fact that very few impact defensemen come in the top 5 picks is a little concerning to me

cause if Larsson ends up being a Jovanovski, Zyuzin or Hamrlik while RNH or Couturier end up being Staal, Toews, or Backstrom I'll be choked that the Oilers pick Larsson

Sloth Slothersons*

that is, if Larsson can live up to expectations...which is really tough to figure out from d-men...the fact that very few impact defensemen come in the top 5 picks is a little concerning to me

cause if Larsson ends up being a Jovanovski, Zyuzin or Hamrlik while RNH or Couturier end up being Staal, Toews, or Backstrom I'll be choked that the Oilers pick Larsson

But what if Larsson ends up being Lidstrom while RNH or Couturier end up being Kurtis Foster at center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad