Ottawa - Edmonton - Islanders Draft Discussion

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
a lot of what edmonton will do may likely be determined at the deadline... they trade hemsky i could see them drafting RNH, they tarde penner, i could see them drafting courturier, they get a d man back, they don't draft larsson, they get a forward prospect at the deadline (schenn lol) they do draft larsson, etc, etc.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Whether or not he is as skilled is debatable, but his skating is great and definitely not on a lower level than RNH. He's a very dominant scorer (though not as big as Couturier, he's bigger than RNH and still very young.)

So there at the same level of skill and skating? Or is Strome better? He's not better, and it's unlikely they are the same level.

You can disagree all you want, but RNH takes hockey sense and vision quite easily.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Whether or not he is as skilled is debatable, but his skating is great and definitely not on a lower level than RNH. He's a very dominant scorer (though not as big as Couturier, he's bigger than RNH and still very young.)

You are going to love RNH when the Sens draft him buddy.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
assuming we keep all 3 picks, my ideal draft goes

RNH/Country Forest
Jensen
Prince

my preference b/w landeskog and RNH switches semi-daily. I'd be happy with either in the end.
but if we do end up picking first, through lottery or suckage, i think we have to take larsson.

not sure if prince lasts to the 2nd round though. Hopefully this crap about how it's all toffoli keeps up.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Nino and Landeskog on the same team will be annoying as **** to play against :shakehead

STHLM*

27th goal for Lando tonight!!!!! He has most goals by the top three. He missed 14 games because of injury. IMPRESSIVE!!!!!! :handclap::yo:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Landeskog - OHL (November 1992):
37 games played
26 goals (0.70 GPG)
24 assists (0.65 APG)
50 points (1.35 PPG)
==> Not in the Top 20 in Scoring in the OHL
--> Prorated Stats (52 games - most anyone has in OHL) would put him at 70 points (14th). Also note that injuries for PWF type players are common though.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show

Nugent-Hopkins - WHL (April 1993):
55 games played
20 goals (0.36 GPG)
63 assists (1.15 APG)
83 points (1.51 PPG)
==> 3rd in WHL Scoring
http://www.whl.ca/stats/show

Much rather RNH.

not to a team that needs a big gritty goal scorer. 0.7GPG is crazy and landeskog's leadership and style of play makes him that much better. If only he was a center.

Sloth Slothersons*

No way any team other than the Oilers is coming in last place. The only way another team is getting that #1 pick is if they come second last and win the lottery. No one beats us at losing. No one.

Pyke*

not to a team that needs a big gritty goal scorer. 0.7GPG is crazy and landeskog's leadership and style of play makes him that much better. If only he was a center.

Players like Landeskog end up with injury riddled careers. It's a law of nature.

I also wouldn't take someone like Lucic with a 1st overall pick, much as I like Landeskog if we were picking say, 5th.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is how I see it as far as Edmonton and Ottawa are considered. And as was mentioned the Islanders could really use any of the big 4.

Outside shot Islanders don't finish bottom 4(a bunch of teams ahead of them starting to get within range of overtaking and there is always the chance a team leeps over them for the lottery). I am guessing the Islanders finish between 75-80 points

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do think that in the "new NHL" teams are super-high on elite skating Cs. Look back at the 2009 draft, you had 2 super prospects in Tavares and Hedman, but even still there was talk from a lot of scouts about liking Duchene best. He was small and skinny (like RNH), his stats were not exceptional (3rd on his own team in scoring with 79 points in 57 games in the OHL), he was cut from the WJC team, but still the scouts loved him because he was just such a phenomenal skater. I feel like it'll be the same with RNH, and my gut feeling is that no matter who's picking he ends up going top 2.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I do think that in the "new NHL" teams are super-high on elite skating Cs. Look back at the 2009 draft, you had 2 super prospects in Tavares and Hedman, but even still there was talk from a lot of scouts about liking Duchene best. He was small and skinny (like RNH), his stats were not exceptional (3rd on his own team in scoring with 79 points in 57 games in the OHL), he was cut from the WJC team, but still the scouts loved him because he was just such a phenomenal skater. I feel like it'll be the same with RNH, and my gut feeling is that no matter who's picking he ends up going top 2.

btw, CSS' official measurements for Duchene were 5'11 200, not sure where that skinny thing comes from. People are trying to hard to validate RNH as far as I'm concerned. You may accuse me for looking to hard to shoot him down. I think people do the opposite to hype him up. Also, 3rd on your team in scoring behind the CHL player of the year and Grachev who was having a superb year has nothing to do with what RNH is going through in Red Deer. All pieces revolve around RNH on offense. Also, Brampton had some crazy defensive play in 09. Red Deer is good defensively but nowhere close.

... btw, one of the last concerns I'd have on RNH are height and weight, he's far from abnormally small

besides, as of now I'd see it go

1 - Edmonton, Larsson ... solid defenseman, fits in every way, I don't buy into the, oh his points have dropped, he's having a bad year. As far as I'm concerned, he's solid defensively with tons of room to grow offensively. I like the upside and what you're getting right now is a day 1 starter.

2 - Ottawa, Couturier ... they may pick RNH there, I would not be surprised, but I think Couturier is BPA at that spot. Best defensive forward of the draft. Great producer offensively. Tons of upside. People always point out how RNH has huge upside. I still think of all forwards Couturier has the higher upside. He's not a sexy player like RNH but he gets it done on a consistent basis. I don't buy into the, he's too big that's why he dominates the Q.

3 - Islanders, Hamilton ... I like Hamilton as much if not more than Pietrangelo a couple of years ago, 3rd best player in the draft in my book and Islanders need a solid top-pairing defenseman.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Have a feeling. If EDM doesnt take Larsson he will drop.
OTT will look for a Center first, than a winger. (Cowen, Karlsson, Weircoch in the system: start building the forwards)
NYI the same (De haan, Hamonic, etc.) A Winger or Center to build the forward group.

OILERS - RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS
OTTAWA - SEAN COUTURIER
NEW YORK - GABRIEL LANDESKOG

than it gets cloudy.
IF BOS or NJD are picking next - it will be LARSSON

But i could see a guy like Strome sneak in, and be picked higher than anticipated.

BOS/NJD-LARSSON
FLA-STROME

Pyke*

Have a feeling. If EDM doesnt take Larsson he will drop.
OTT will look for a Center first, than a winger. (Cowen, Karlsson, Weircoch in the system: start building the forwards)
NYI the same (De haan, Hamonic, etc.) A Winger or Center to build the forward group.

OILERS - RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS
OTTAWA - SEAN COUTURIER
NEW YORK - GABRIEL LANDESKOG

than it gets cloudy.
IF BOS or NJD are picking next - it will be LARSSON

But i could see a guy like Strome sneak in, and be picked higher than anticipated.

BOS/NJD-LARSSON
FLA-STROME

NYI wouldn't take Landeskog, they already have Okposo. They take Larsson if he's available. Also, if RNH goes #1, I suspect Larsson goes #2.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I realize the talk about "need" is really interesting, but there is no team in the top 5 that doesn't have plenty of room on their team for anyone of the top prospects.

For instance, both Ottawa and the Isles have some solid defensive prospects, but realistically, neither team has a defensive prospect in Larsson's class in terms of overall two-way ability, and both would love to have him and will have plenty of room for him. And while the Oilers could use a center or a franchise defender based on their lineup right now, there is no doubt that if they like Landerskog as the best prospect they will take him despite their riches on the wing.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009

I'd have to say that's not at all how I remember the discussion of Duchene. This is the first time I see him called skinny. To me he seemed at the time stocky, not underweight at all. His speed was certainly an important attribute, but he was also seen as a terrific all-round offensive player. Great finisher, very good passer. In short, already a pretty polished overall performer. As indeed he proved with his rookie season a few months later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad