Ottawa - Edmonton - Islanders Draft Discussion

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I never said a lottery team was getting them.
I said I think the Oilers might trade up to get 2 picks in the top 5, top 6 maybe? top 10?

Penner/Hemsky can go to where and who ever and whatever else going to a 3rd or 4the team with a high pick going back to the Oilers.
NYI, OTT, who ever else ends up with a high pick still might be interested in a package for that pick. Not every GM has HF boards mentality.

and ffs its Charles Wang. He'll probably take Penner and dress him as a goalie. :sarcasm:

I've posted a Newsday tweet from a 2010 draft article.Snow refused to move his 5th overall unless he was offered a 20-22 yr old,with similar upside.

Last draft we read that the Oilers were pressing Columbus,trying to move Hemsky for 4th overall.Columbus passed.

Teams with high lottery picks,aren't moving them for soon to be ufas.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Is RHN really a speedster or is his just quick?

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsrs-2011-midterm-top-60-skaters-130/
Nugent-Hopkins has had some struggles finding the back of the net this season, especially at even strength, but his dynamic skill-set is a can’t miss. He may very well have the highest ceiling of any player in this draft due to his exceptional speed and creativity, but his smallish frame will need to mature for him to become that type of player at the NHL level.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
1. Larsson
2. Couturier
3. RNH

Thats my wish list for the Oilers.

Hopefully they'll get a chance at one of them.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Nino's a lw.Couturier's a 6'4 center.With the isles lack of size down the middle,I find it tough to believe that they wouldn't be pleased with Couturier.

As for Murphy,they have De Haan.I don't see them trading down for a similar type player.

Murphy is more like Ellis. Hes not similar to de Haan

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
In order...

Senators Preference
Hopkins
Landeskog
Larsson

Oilers Preference
Larsson
Couturier
Hopkins

Islanders Preference
Larsson
Hopkins
Landeskog

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
EDM: Larsson (2nd option RNH)
OTT: RNH (2nd option Landeskog)
NYI: Larsson (no second option)

I see Couturier dropping out of top 3.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Senator Preference
Hopkins
Landeskog
Larsson

Oilers Preference
Larsson
Couturier
Hopkins

Islanders Preference
Larsson
Hopkins
Landeskog

i believe OIL scouts are high on RNH and will prefer him over Couturier..

Pyke*

If Ottawa is picking, Murray has apparently hinted it will be a Center. If we had first overall, we still probably would take RNH.

I'd be surprised to see us pick Landeskog.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The oilers will fill a need with any one of the top 4 players including Landeskog even though he is a winger.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I can see Ottawa's board being more like:

1 - Larsson
2 - Landeskog
3 - Couturier
4 - RNH

With that in mind, depending on what we do with our current picks and moves...certain stuff could change. I am 100% confident that Ottawa's first pick will either be Landeskog or Couturier. People are highly overvaluing RNH.

Pyke*

1 - Larsson
2 - Landeskog
3 - Couturier
4 - RNH

With that in mind, depending on what we do with our current picks and moves...certain stuff could change. I am 100% confident that Ottawa's first pick will either be Landeskog or Couturier. People are highly overvaluing RNH.

Heh. Landeskog will end up being a 65 point center. It'll be sad if we waste a #1 pick on him.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I've posted a Newsday tweet from a 2010 draft article.Snow refused to move his 5th overall unless he was offered a 20-22 yr old,with similar upside.

Last draft we read that the Oilers were pressing Columbus,trying to move Hemsky for 4th overall.Columbus passed.

Teams with high lottery picks,aren't moving them for soon to be ufas.

Agreed. I think the Oilers might have a chance to land in the top 10 though. All depends whose there. If there's a team whose only a player or two away from being a perennial playoff contender and already have a deep prospect pool and have a poor contract to unload, we might see the Oilers do business. I think Columbus could be that team. Hemsky for Commodore and their 1st (lets say 8-10 spot). Could mean Strome or Huberdeau. Allows us to take Larsson 1st without any hesitation.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

1 - Larsson
2 - Landeskog
3 - Couturier
4 - RNH

Have you seen Landeskog play?

Do you think he'll struggle offensively at the nhl level?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Agreed. I think the Oilers might have a chance to land in the top 10 though. All depends whose there. If there's a team whose only a player or two away from being a perennial playoff contender and already have a deep prospect pool and have a poor contract to unload, we might see the Oilers do business. I think Columbus could be that team. Hemsky for Commodore and their 1st (lets say 8-10 spot). Could mean Strome or Huberdeau. Allows us to take Larsson 1st without any hesitation.

It'd be interesting to see if the team acquiring Hemsky can get him signed to an extension,keep him from testing the ufa market in July 2012.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Heh. Landeskog will end up being a 65 point center. It'll be sad if we waste a #1 pick on him.

Have you actually seen him play? He's not even a centre.

Have you seen Landeskog play?

Do you think he'll struggle offensively at the nhl level?

I have seen him play on multiple occasions including his games since he's been back. I really think, if anything, his offensive game is well suited to the NHL level. He's a great garbage man who's very difficult to move from in front of the net. He drives hard and shoots first, and while he doesn't have one of the best shots ever, his shot is very good and quick. He creates a lot of space for the people around him with his physical presence and hardnosed playstyle, and he has very good hockey sense. He also has very good hand eye/stick coordination. I fully believe he just offers the most complete game going into the NHL and has the tools to succeed offensively at the NHL level.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'm 90% sure RNH goes first overall no matter who's drafting. They other 10% is reserved for Larsson. And any team interested in winning will be really happy with Landeskog after that.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
I'm 90% sure RNH goes first overall no matter who's drafting. They other 10% is reserved for Larsson.

If Edmonton is up, I can't see them passing on Larsson. They desperately need a good Defenseman, and with how close some of these guys are, drafting by need is an acceptable practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad