Ottawa - Edmonton - Islanders Draft Discussion

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Harrison, Feb 11, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Harrison

Harrison Registered User

MCSE
    I would like to start a discussion on what players the bottom three teams will be drafting in June. I think it is safe to assume those three teams will be Ottawa - Edmonton and the Islanders.

Please list what player your team will be most interested in.

Being an Oiler fan I can only think we will be drafting a centerman. We have needed a centerman since Doug Weight left the organization. The general consensus on our board is back and forth between RNH and Couturier. Personally if we were to draft a center I would prefer Couturier because of his size, we are a small team and need to get bigger, although it is hard to ignore what RNH is doing in Red Deer.

What is the consensus in Ottawa and Long Island?

2. I Hate Chris Butler

I Hate Chris Butler Backlund Fan Club

Lowly Clerk
    Ottawa - Couturier
    Isles - Larsson
    Edmonton - Hopkins

3. Jamin

Jamin Registered User

As long as edmonton doesnt take rnh im happy

4. Nolanitis

Nolanitis Registered User

I would have to think Larsson would be 1st on the Isles wish look. The Isles need a stud defenseman in the worst way

5. Vyse64

Vyse64 N64

boxer by anime
    Oilers - Larrson
    Sens - Couturier
    Isles - Landeskog

6. MikeyMagic

MikeyMagic Registered User

As a Sens fan my preference would be
    1. RNH
    2. Landeskog
    3. Larsson
    4. Couturier

7. Roamin

Roamin Registered User

The Oilers need a good center and a good D.

I have a feeling they might not trade Hemsky or Penner at the deadline and keep them to get another high pick to take Larsson and one of the good centers in the top 5.

Just a gut feeling.
    plausible.

8. oXo Cube

oXo Cube Termite

Why would a lottery team have any interest in Hemsky or Penner?

9. Kevin27nyi

Kevin27nyi Trotz <3

isles could use any of them. as long as they get one of larsson, couturier, hopkins or landeskog they are good. they all add something the isles need.

larsson, having him along with hamonic and macdonald would be sweet, especially with de haan in the mix. with such a talented division, a great defense goes a long, long way.

landeskog+okposo+niedereitter makes for a great top 6 that brings size, skill and 2-way play. landeskog is my personal favorite if larsson is off the board (meaning isles dont finish last) because of the intagibles and scoring punch.

couturier would be excellent to have after tavares down the middle or even on the wing. he adds size down the middle and could be an ideal 2nd line center for the isles for a long time.

hopkins brings the skills to the team and on tavare wing they could perform magic between their offensive capabilities.

10. Doug Height

Doug Height Okposwag

Honestly I have no clue who the Isles will take.

As a fan I would prefer Larsson, as I think we are lacking any potential top pairing d-men in our system. But I would be happy with any of the big 4.

11. Wheatking

Wheatking Registered User

I feel so out of the loop this season. Last season I had seen Hall/Fowler and Seguin a bunch of times and knew a ton about each player.

This year? Not so much. I've never seen RNH while only seeing Couturier, Larsson and Landeskog a handful of times combined at the WJC. So I don't really have an opinion. It sounds like none of them are going to be coming into the draft with the same pedigree as Hall, Tavares or Stamkos. It also sounds like for every big positive there is a big negative.

Bob Stauffer was on the radio today and he was saying that he heard from one scout that Nugent-Hopkins was the most dominant player to play in the WHL in the last 10 years. That's a pretty big compliment.

12. Live Breathe Hockey

Live Breathe Hockey Registered User

I agree with your outlook
    exactly what i was thinking for the Isles as well, and why I figure they'd take either Landeskog or Couturier depending on what OTT takes, can't see OTT taking Larsson.

I figure OTT - Landeskog #1, NYI - Couturier #2, which leaves the EDM #3 with Larsson

13. Dosing

Dosing Registered User

Mind sharing this big negative for larsson? not pretty enough? :rolleyes:

14. Akonite

Akonite Registered User

I'm on the Larsson bandwagon. :)

If not, I question what our Top 6 would be like in terms of toughness if we draft RNH, I wouldnt call it soft, but i'd prefer the big center for the west in Couturier.

15. Kevin27nyi

Kevin27nyi Trotz <3

:nod:
    i honestly would be happy with any of the top like doug height said, but i do hope they would take larsson over couturier.

16. If Ottawa does end up with the 1st overall, there is a good possibilty it would be traded to one of NYI or Edm so they can draft Larsson. Larsson is easily the number 1 overall this year.

17. Wheatking

Wheatking Registered User

That's the thing with all these players. Little negatives get turned into big negatives because these guys have been scouted so much. It also depends on who you ask. If you're talking to a RNH fan, Couturtier's skating is bad enough to warrant him not being drafted 1st overall. If you're a Larsson fan, you're going to get hung up that RNH gets the majority of his points. The big negative that I've heard about Larsson is that he may not have enough offensive upside to be drafted ahead of the other guys. For Landeskog...he's a winger and it's as simple as that.

Don't shoot the messenger. Like I said, I know almost nothing about these players. I read these types of threads so I can find out what's going on with these guys. Unfortunately a lot of people pick there favorite and then get extemely biased.

18. Harrison

Harrison Registered User

MCSE
    Thats the main reason I posted this thread. I haven't seen of enough of either player to make an informed decision. I also don't know what the Sens and Isles prefer. Hopefully more fans of each team post so I can get an idea of what the Oilers will be doing.

19. Dosing

Dosing Registered User

No shooting:laugh: Iexpect alot more bashing on all prospects closing in on the draft. And while larsson havnt been gotten ****loads of points this year one of his major assets is the abillity to suddenly put his team on the offense. You draw the line.

20. CREW99AW

CREW99AW Registered User

I agree with you on Larsson,RNH and Couturier.

I disagree with your thinking that the isles would use a top 3 pick on Landeskog.I think that with KO,Nino and possibly even Petrov in the isles top 6 next season,the isles aren't looking for another physical winger.I thought the scouts knock on Landeskog, was that his scoring potential at the nhl level was very suspect?

RNH-aside from Grabner,the isles really lack a speedster.
    Larsson-his upside is higher then any of the nyi blueline prospects.
    Couturier-the isles top 3 centers are 5'11-6'1.So 6'4 Couturier would bring badly needed size and skill.

Also,I doubt the Isles are really gonna be concerned if their 2011 1st rounder takes 1-2 yrs to reach the nhl.Next season should see a few nyi rookies make their nhl debut at some point:Nino,De Haan,maybe Petrov.

21. Hooch314

Hooch314 Registered User

Ottawa is in good shape. There are plenty of forwards and the Sens have enough D in the pipeline.

I think the other 2 are really going to be pulling hard for Larsson. I know the Islanders need help everywhere but they are weakest on D.

Tavares and Nino are a good enough core up front where free agents should be able to fill out most of the offense.

Edmonton-Larsson
    NYI - RNH - They have their Couturier with Nino. I really think we might see a rare trade down as long as it is only a couple picks down (For Murphy or Hamilton) and they get a proven player in return.

I think Landeskog is a better player but Ottawa needs a guy like Couturier.

22. Roamin

Roamin Registered User

I never said a lottery team was getting them.
    I said I think the Oilers might trade up to get 2 picks in the top 5, top 6 maybe? top 10?

Penner/Hemsky can go to where and who ever and whatever else going to a 3rd or 4the team with a high pick going back to the Oilers.
    NYI, OTT, who ever else ends up with a high pick still might be interested in a package for that pick. Not every GM has HF boards mentality.

and ffs its Charles Wang. He'll probably take Penner and dress him as a goalie. :sarcasm:

23. CREW99AW

CREW99AW Registered User

Nino's a lw.Couturier's a 6'4 center.With the isles lack of size down the middle,I find it tough to believe that they wouldn't be pleased with Couturier.

As for Murphy,they have De Haan.I don't see them trading down for a similar type player.

24. Macch

Macch Registered User

Is RHN really a speedster or is his just quick?

25. H2O

H2O Registered User

I hope Ottawa ends up with RNH. But I wouldn't be upset with Larsson, Landeskog, or Couturier.