Friedman: Ottawa could trade Brannstrom

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I agree, but it's what I'm expecting.

Fair. I don't think they are nearly as down on him as you do. I think there are certainly ways in which we can trade him and be better off for it, but I don't think they see him as a guy who can't be a valuable contributor and I don't think they'll trade him unless he returns a C/RW/RD who can be valuable for us down the road, too.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'd offer Ryan Francis and Jeremie Poirier from Calgary. Two top 10's in our organization.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think you're misattributing the reasoning behind why Batherson was kept down, and the coach and GM have both said that it was precisely because they didn't want him up until he was overdone, and have echoed that sentiment about many other players, including Formenton, Sokolov, and JBD.

It's clearly an organizational philosophy, they have straight up said that specific players won't start in the NHL regardless of whether they are top 12 F/top 6 D on our team. Add in the fact that he's a DMan and that they have 7 guys on one-way deals and it only compounds that fact.

And they are absolutely NOT saying what you're saying they are. To act like it is a simple decision based on who is best is bordering on deliberate obtuseness. In fact, they have openly expressed an organizational philosophy to the contrary. Sens aren't trading Brannstrom if they don't get value, because why on earth would they? He will either be dealt for value or he will grow into a role slowly with us. I suspect this will all be made moot very soon, although I do still think Brann will be traded.

Why exactly is there a report by Friedman saying Brannstrom could be traded then? There wasn't this report on any other core Ottawa player that was kept in the AHL, if Ottawa simply wanted Brannstrom to be overdone in the AHL there wouldn't be this rumor in the first place. Ottawa has one year left to figure out what they want to do with him, because if they end up waiting until next year and he doesn't make the team with DJ at the helm, it'll just be another L. Brown situation where his value plummets.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Why exactly is there a report by Friedman saying Brannstrom could be traded then? There wasn't this report on any other core Ottawa player that was kept in the AHL, if Ottawa simply wanted Brannstrom to be overdone in the AHL there wouldn't be this rumor in the first place. Ottawa has one year left to figure out what they want to do with him, because if they end up waiting until next year and he doesn't make the team with DJ at the helm, it'll just be another L. Brown situation where his value plummets.

He could be traded because he plays in our strongest position and he's wasted in a 3rd pairing role. Which Sens fans have been aware of for a long time. Add in the fact that 2 of our top 5 C's are injured long-term and it becomes an obvious bit of speculation.

The day that Sanderson was drafted, this was discussed by Sens fans as a near-eventuality. Doesn't mean they don't like him, won't play him, or anything of the sorts. DJ Smith literally called him an everyday NHL D 15 times this preseason.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Dylan Strome ?
Jeremy Colliton would never give minutes to Brannstrom. He hates Ian Mitchell. Not to mention Stanley traded away Boqvist.

The Hawks hate this brand defensemen. Look at their drafting the past couple years.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He could be traded because he plays in our strongest position and he's wasted in a 3rd pairing role. Which Sens fans have been aware of for a long time. Add in the fact that 2 of our top 5 C's are injured long-term and it becomes an obvious bit of speculation.

The day that Sanderson was drafted, this was discussed by Sens fans as a near-eventuality. Doesn't mean they don't like him, won't play him, or anything of the sorts. DJ Smith literally called him an everyday NHL D 15 times this preseason.

So if the point is to field out potential offers since he's not in their long-term plans since he'd be wasted on the 3rd pairing, DJ saying he's a NHL defenseman, and he'd be an upgrade over the roster... why exactly is he in the AHL?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
So if the point is to field out potential offers since he's not in their long-term plans since he'd be wasted on the 3rd pairing, DJ saying he's a NHL defenseman, and he'd be an upgrade over the roster... why exactly is he in the AHL?
Stupidity.

Reactions: SENStastic

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Because he has a two way contract and doesn’t require waiver whereas the other 7 do, and DJ isn’t going to play him every night over the other 7 from day 1 of the season. We’re 3 games in with two new vets on the roster. It’s sort of…. much ado about nothing.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
This wind must be coming over from the agent's camp.

Even if the Sens management doesn't see Brannstrom having a future in the organization, what's the point for them to try and trade him right now, when he was just demoted to the AHL? His value has got to be at a low point. I think if/when the Sens trade him, it will be after they at least pretend he has made the team and is in the long term plans. In that case they'd be bringing him up for a stint later this year, so that he showcases well and then trade him for a good return.

Also, I do not think Brannstrom beating out guys like MDZ and Josh Brown is the end goal for him. If his reality is fighting for the bottom pair job, is it really worth fussing over him being sent to the AHL? If the Sens truly believe he still has top 4 potential, but he isn't ready to be relied on in that role, maybe working on the weak parts of his game in the AHL isn't the worst of plans.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Is this Friedman just shooting from the hip or is there any merit to this? Is the team or the player actually looking to be moved?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Because he has a two way contract and doesn’t require waiver whereas the other 7 do, and DJ isn’t going to play him every night over the other 7 from day 1 of the season. We’re 3 games in with two new vets on the roster. It’s sort of…. much ado about nothing.

Holden and Del Zotto have each been waived in their careers. A young rebuilding team playing worse dmen like them instead of a young player because they don't want to lose a Holden or Del Zotto is shortsighted.

Either Brannstrom isn't good enough to beat them out or OTT's management doesn't know how to properly rebuild.

Reactions: Guitpik

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Holden and Del Zotto have each been waived in their careers. A young rebuilding team playing worse dmen like them instead of a young player because they don't want to lose a Holden or Del Zotto is shortsighted.

Either Brannstrom isn't good enough to beat them out or OTT's management doesn't know how to properly rebuild.
Ok

It’s three games, there’s not much more to say than that. He just turned 22 and has warts. He will be full time soon enough. Doesn’t mean Sens management are idiots because they are more focused on the future than the immediate present.

Last edited:
Reactions: guyzeur

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Brannstrom is in the AHL because management gave out one-way contracts to players who did not deserve them in order to secure depth. Brannstrom won't be in the AHL for long this season, I presume, but he shouldn't be down there in the first place.

He's very clearly better than MDZ, Mete, Zaitsev and J. Brown. Brannstrom is 100% an NHL player with a realistic range of a #6 puck mover to a 2nd pairing PP QB. I do not believe Brannstrom's ceiling is as high as others may have first thought but he deserves to be in the NHL right now.

Nick Holden has been a bit of a revelation so far in Ottawa. Dude is playing great and exactly what Ottawa needs. In fact, he might be the absolute perfect partner for Brannstrom. Zaitsev isn't moving for obvious reasons. It comes down to Mete, who has struggled a lot in camp and to start the season (small sample size but he needs to figure it out), MDZ who was given too much security in the summer for what he actually is, and J. Brown who is simply just the coach's boy and barely belongs on an NHL roster.

All-in-all, Ottawa has two options: keep Brannstrom and play him in the NHL or trade him for less than what he SHOULD be worth because his return on the open market is going to be low.

Reactions: Deku

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I hope Eugene cheaps out one more time and trades Zub to Vancouver :P

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Ottawa is a feeder team for the rest of the league. They traded Stone for spare parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad