Friedman: Ottawa could trade Brannstrom

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean they shouldn’t dump him (and it is alluded they will ask for value) but I think he’s certainly an asset that can be moved.

I don’t think he’s going to be anything special at the NHL level but if there is simply no future in Ottawa - might as well deal him while he still has value (or give him a real extended look in the line-up to see what you got).

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Really stupid move for Ottawa unless they can get a legit player back. But this going to turn out be some scrub for brannstrom who will have a decent career and ultimately a scrub for Mark Stone. Embarrassing.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I would like to think Montreal would use him for the 3rd pairing. We are so desperate for a puck moving guy that we gave a real look at Wideman and Niku. I havent gotten that much of a look at Bransstrom, but he seems like an upgrade to me and someone with real potential to help for more than just a few seasons.

Reactions: TrapGod Jr

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If he's good enough to return "real value," why don't they just put him in the lineup? And if he's not ready, just, I dunno, let him develop? Sounds like yet another case of a "scoop" coming from a player's agent.

its our coach

bran is better then mete, holden, del zotto, j.brown and zaistev. He should be in the lineup. He even prefers playing on the right side which is very valuable around the league. Its just the coach man.

Reactions: DaveG

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He was on the trade block all summer according to people that cover the team. Guess they couldn't get much for him.

His value is probably something like a mid-2nd round pick. He's a project, but his skill-set is not one that is highly valued by the Senators organization.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
So then it's definitely his agent in Friedman's ear.

its definitely possible or it could just be piecing two and two together with ottawa's situation

we were stupid enough to give MDZ two years, zaistev has term, sanderson will most likely get a spot from the jump and sens wont play Bran as a RD.

When sanderson comes in sens will have

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Zaistev
Some combo of Mete/Del Zotto/Holden

So spots arent there because we are giving them to mediocre dmen and this is Bran's last year of waiver exempt status. The writing is there without the agent saying anything. If the agent said something then good for him because as a sens fan this is stupid

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This is a move that could really come back and bite the Sens if they aren't careful. I agree that Ottawa really needs to push hard to get some fair return for him. On the right team he could really break out.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Didn’t we just go through several years of a “free Logan Brown” movement? Turns out he just wasn’t any good - despite prospect hype, despite “showing out” in small stretches of NHL action, despite highlight packages of his skills.

It would be one thing if the Sens just didn’t give young players a chance but this organization has shown it will absolutely play and give prominent roles to young players who earn it. And that it has nothing to do with prospect rankings or hype. Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Formenton, etc. Almost all the guys they have let go or dealt have turned out to be…not much. Balcers was probably a mistake. But even that is not earth shattering. If the Sens have calculated that they can get value back for Brannstrom and that he’s not a guy they see as a major piece moving forward - I’m not sure why there is such an uproar. The article didn’t say they were trying to dump him for a ham sandwich.

Reactions: guyzeur

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Didn’t we just go through several years of a “free Logan Brown” movement? Turns out he just wasn’t any good - despite prospect hype, despite “showing out” in small stretches of NHL action, despite highlight packages of his skills.

It would be one thing if the Sens just didn’t give young players a chance but this organization has shown it will absolutely play and give prominent roles to young players who earn it. And that it has nothing to do with prospect rankings or hype. Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Formenton, etc. Almost all the guys they have let go or dealt have turned out to be…not much. Balcers was probably a mistake. But even that is not earth shattering. If the Sens have calculated that they can get value back for Brannstrom and that he’s not a guy they see as a major piece moving forward - I’m not sure why there is such an uproar. The article didn’t say they were trying to dump him for a ham sandwich.

Brannstrom has played more games last year then Brown has for his whole career lmao. Bad comparison. Brannstrom has shown for the last 2 years he is nhl dman. He was leading the sens dmen last year when chabot went down and DJ had no choice but to play him. This was the same year that started with Gudbransson/Coburn/J. Brown being over him. This year its new vets in Del Zotto/Holden/J.Brown ...well mainly new vets

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
its definitely possible or it could just be piecing two and two together with ottawa's situation

we were stupid enough to give MDZ two years, zaistev has term, sanderson will most likely get a spot from the jump and sens wont play Bran as a RD.

When sanderson comes in sens will have

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Zaistev
Some combo of Mete/Del Zotto/Holden

So spots arent there because we are giving them to mediocre dmen and this is Bran's last year of waiver exempt status. The writing is there without the agent saying anything. If the agent said something then good for him because as a sens fan this is stupid

Makes sense. I just think Friedman and most other journalists don't spend a lot of time personally examining whether or not a player should crack a given lineup. Most of the time, if a guy isn't good enough, then nobody has any expectation that he'll return much in a trade. It's certainly possible, but would be a little unusual to me if Friedman is "reading the tea leaves" based on a belief that Brannstrom is good enough and simply not getting a fair shake from the staff.

Reactions: TheNewEra

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
This king fan offers the sens the choice or Madden or Kupari If the sens take Kupari the sens add a mid pick (like 3or 4th) as i think Kupari has a touch more value . If not feel free to counter offer

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If he's good enough to return "real value," why don't they just put him in the lineup? And if he's not ready, just, I dunno, let him develop? Sounds like yet another case of a "scoop" coming from a player's agent.

I think the reason why they would be open to trading him is because Chabot has L1 locked up and Sanderson will lock L2 up by next season, if not sometime this season.

I don't think DJ is as against Brannstrom as some think... I just don't think he's ready to play him every night and they aren't gonna keep him around unless he's playing every night. He's played 30 NHL games each of the last two seasons, I suspect he will get 40+ this year, and he just turned 22.

That said, if we can get a similar player/prospect at C, RW, or RD, it is a no-brainer. Even if he hits his full potential, he is unlikely to ever be a top 4 LD for us.

I feel like he could be a fit with LAK - they have tons of very good prospects but lack NHL-ready OFD and LD prospects in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad