Friedman: Ottawa could trade Brannstrom

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Im really getting sick of watching my team f*** up like this. Just embarrassing. If Freidman is saying it, this is getting piped to him from one of the Pierre's or an agent. Either way, Brannstrom is probably done in Ottawa.

For those fans of other team, Brannstrom clearly outplayed MDZ in the preseason and the coach is biased against him. Dude is going to be a great player immediately and will make the organization look foolish.

I'm so sick of this shit. Might be time to take a break.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Im really getting sick of watching my team f*** up like this. Just embarrassing. If Freidman is saying it, this is getting piped to him from one of the Pierre's or an agent. Either way, Brannstrom is probably done in Ottawa.

For those fans of other team, Brannstrom clearly outplayed MDZ in the preseason and the coach is biased against him. Dude is going to be a great player immediately and will make the organization look foolish.

If you are that fired up about 1 prospect out of like 15 not panning out as expected, a break likely isn’t a bad idea.

The only trade that makes sense right now for Ottawa, is for #2 or #3C of similar age/talent.

If that isn’t available, package him with a 2nd Rd Pick to move up in the draft.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If you are that fired up about 1 prospect out of like 15 not panning out as expected, a break likely isn’t a bad idea.

The only trade that makes sense right now for Ottawa, is for #2 or #3C of similar age/talent.

If that isn’t available, package him with a 2nd Rd Pick to move up in the draft.
He is panning out. The org is dumping a good player because they are bad at evaluating. Just like the last time I felt this way, Zibanejad.

Edit: I'll add something. This is completely different than, say, Logan Brown. You didn't hear a peep from me there.

You could SEE Logan Brown struggling, the bad attitude, and needing a new location. That's fine. It sucks, but it is an understandable move from management. Brannstrom just needs the opportunity and he'll be successful. That is the difference.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
He’d be perfect for Montreal because of our need for puck moving defensemen.

I don’t see Pierre Dorion sending him here though.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Not impressed. Package him for a 2c and ill be fine with it. But that's unlikely imo.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
This king fan offers the sens the choice or Madden or Kupari If the sens take Kupari the sens add a mid pick (like 3or 4th) as i think Kupari has a touch more value . If not feel free to counter offer

Vilardi? This would open the door for the Sens to move on from Tierney too.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Agreed.
Its either for a prospect thats in a similar situation as Brannstrom, or in a package for a top-6 winger.

Kravtsov or Barrett Hayton make some semblance of sense.

Maybe Vilardi, Tippett, Glass or Mittelstadt?

A few of those guys are probably optimistic but someone along those lines for sure. I think Florida has a few guys other than Tippett (who I can't see being dealt) who would be solid options

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Zib was disinterested as a Sen and they had EK and Stone looking to win now.
That being said DJ needs to give his tough guy hockey a rest, Bran looks like he has some serious game impacting skills and should be playing right now. The guy helps the team actually win games when he plays and unlike 70% of the team he does not bleed goals against

Christien

May 1, 2010
How far off is Veleno? I don't follow him at all, but that looks like a comparable guy on paper.
He was very close to making the team, I think he could play right now, but they want him to play big minutes as a center. Blashill said that he would bet on Veleno being back up this year if that means anything, and he's had a good start in the AHL so far.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I have a hard time seeing Ottawa fans getting a return they'll like considering he can't beat out MDZ, Holden, and Brown on a rebuilding team - the optics just looks bad, regardless of how talented he is or if he deserves to be playing. Could see something like a Kylington for Brannstrom swap (i.e. talented young defenders that their coaches don't like/trust).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I know I'm out to lunch but I don't think there's many teams in a better position to trade for Jack Eichel if the Sabres were okay with some kind of protection (top 5-7ish) on the 1st..... could be neat

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I have a hard time seeing Ottawa fans getting a return they'll like considering he can't beat out MDZ, Holden, and Brown on a rebuilding team - the optics just looks bad, regardless of how talented he is or if he deserves to be playing. Could see something like a Kylington for Brannstrom swap (i.e. talented young defenders that their coaches don't like/trust).

You're correct. The optics are terrible because MDZ, Holden and Brown are barely even NHL quality D.

But the reason he isn't in the lineup isn't because he's actually worse than those guys. DJ just isn't a fan and has never been but anyone with a working set of eyes knows Brannstrom is better.

Brannstrom should have far more value than Kylington. He's 2 years younger, has more points in 33 fewer games at the NHL level and better production at lower levels as well.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

He absolutely could beat those guys out (well, not Holden, who had a great camp).

We heard the same whispers about Batherson when he "couldn't stick".

Ottawa slowcooks almost every prospect. It's a clear developmental model. They aren't going to trade Brannstrom unless the return is very good, and they wouldnt be considering it if we didn't have Chabot and Sanderson (as well as some other good young players) on the way.
You're correct. The optics are terrible because MDZ, Holden and Brown are barely even NHL quality D.

But the reason he isn't in the lineup isn't because he's actually worse than those guys. DJ just isn't a fan and has never been but anyone with a working set of eyes knows Brannstrom is better.

Brannstrom should have far more value than Kylington. He's 2 years younger, has more points in 33 fewer games at the NHL level and better production at lower levels as well.

DJ not being ready to play him every night =/ doesn't like him.
No i don't see Vilardi being traded. Clarke Bayfield Turcotte and Vilardi are all no goes imo

Fagemo?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Oh I realize he isn't worse than those guys, but no team is going to give up full value. Brannstrom should have more value, but Ottawa isn't doing themselves any favours by not playing Brannstrom in the NHL right now. They're basically saying 'our coaching and management staff don't believe he has any long-term potential here, and we have a better chance to win with MDZ, Holden, and Brown in our lineup'.

He absolutely could beat those guys out (well, not Holden, who had a great camp).

We heard the same whispers about Batherson when he "couldn't stick".

Ottawa slowcooks almost every prospect. It's a clear developmental model. They aren't going to trade Brannstrom unless the return is very good, and they wouldnt be considering it if we didn't have Chabot and Sanderson (as well as some other good young players) on the way.

DJ not being ready to play him every night =/ doesn't like him.

I think there's a huge difference between Batherson and Brannstrom's situation. One was 'we don't want our young guys to be stuck on a tirefire of a NHL team' when they can develop and build chemistry with our future core in the AHL. Compared to simply keeping Brannstrom in the AHL to slow-cook.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Oh I realize he isn't worse than those guys, but no team is going to give up full value. Brannstrom should have more value, but Ottawa isn't doing themselves any favours by not playing Brannstrom in the NHL right now. They're basically saying 'our coaching and management staff don't believe he has any long-term potential here, and we have a better chance to win with MDZ, Holden, and Brown in our lineup'.

I think there's a huge difference between Batherson and Brannstrom's situation. One was 'we don't want our young guys to be stuck on a tirefire of a NHL team' when they can develop and build chemistry with our future core in the AHL. Compared to simply keeping Brannstrom in the AHL to slow-cook.

I think you're misattributing the reasoning behind why Batherson was kept down, and the coach and GM have both said that it was precisely because they didn't want him up until he was overdone, and have echoed that sentiment about many other players, including Formenton, Sokolov, and JBD.

It's clearly an organizational philosophy, they have straight up said that specific players won't start in the NHL regardless of whether they are top 12 F/top 6 D on our team. Add in the fact that he's a DMan and that they have 7 guys on one-way deals and it only compounds that fact.

And they are absolutely NOT saying what you're saying they are. To act like it is a simple decision based on who is best is bordering on deliberate obtuseness. In fact, they have openly expressed an organizational philosophy to the contrary. Sens aren't trading Brannstrom if they don't get value, because why on earth would they? He will either be dealt for value or he will grow into a role slowly with us. I suspect this will all be made moot very soon, although I do still think Brann will be traded.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Agreed.

It took trading useless plugs Gudbranson and Coburn before Brannstrom got an opportunity last season. He put up 13P/30GP and looked good QBing the 2nd PP behind Chabot. Him and Mete solidfying the D had a lot to do with the Sens' late season run.

This situation was entirely predictable once Dorion added MDZ and Holden. Two more veteran LD for DJ to foolishly play over Brannstrom. Bunch of Sens fans wanted him traded in the off-season knowing what would happen, but Dorion held onto him anyways, even after giving the coach who clearly doesn't value his game a 2 year extension.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I personally don't see the potential some (most?) Sens fans say Brann has. That said, he's not useless like Logan Brown was, and should return more than a pick. I'd rather keep him as a depth Dman or injury callup, than deal him for a straight pick.

A sweetener to 'move up' in the draft or player quality is what he should be traded for (if dealt at all).

Viladi, Mittelstadt, or Hayton would be ideal targets IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad