Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

NHL has already announced start of the season as 1 Jan.

The only draft pick guaranteed to make the team is Lafreniere and that will be an interesting call for the Rangers. Marketing wise letting him star at the WJC would be good but the potential for injury is there as well as it would take away from his time to get used to the NHL games.

Rossi will play for Austria and Quinn will play for Canada.

I do think that the rookie camp is a done deal. Teams will invite their AHL players, as well as round 1 and 2 draft, picks to camp.

The idea of 4 in 5 is ridiculous all that is going to do is tire out players and weaken their immune systems. Just look at the way teams look coming to Ottawa on Sunday from 3 in 3.

I agree that American teams may have to look at Canadian sites and that in itself should be interesting.

As to fans I think you can have fans in the rink just not sitting beside each other. I can see them doing the distancing in the arena by having a seat in between each fan and having rink staff enforcing it. The only way that the advertisers get their money is fy fans.

Full face shields is interesting I agree that it will be mandated just wondering if the OHL will use this as a means of instituting it for the future aa well

No fighting is a must but they are really going to have to call the cheap shots.

Using your 4 games 2 in Niagara 2 in Ottawa that would be 36 games and I think that is roughly where they will leave it. The only thing that could change that is the geographic location of the US teams in Canada. At most I see 48 games. Then the ice at most rinks starts to get iffy.

There is no way that Ottawa is going to want to complete with the REDBLACK.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

NHL has already announced start of the season as 1 Jan.

The only draft pick guaranteed to make the team is Lafreniere and that will be an interesting call for the Rangers. Marketing wise letting him star at the WJC would be good but the potential for injury is there as well as it would take away from his time to get used to the NHL games.

Rossi will play for Austria and Quinn will play for Canada.

I do think that the rookie camp is a done deal. Teams will invite their AHL players, as well as round 1 and 2 draft, picks to camp.

The idea of 4 in 5 is ridiculous all that is going to do is tire out players and weaken their immune systems. Just look at the way teams look coming to Ottawa on Sunday from 3 in 3.

I agree that American teams may have to look at Canadian sites and that in itself should be interesting.

As to fans I think you can have fans in the rink just not sitting beside each other. I can see them doing the distancing in the arena by having a seat in between each fan and having rink staff enforcing it. The only way that the advertisers get their money is fy fans.

Full face shields is interesting I agree that it will be mandated just wondering if the OHL will use this as a means of instituting it for the future aa well

No fighting is a must but they are really going to have to call the cheap shots.

Using your 4 games 2 in Niagara 2 in Ottawa that would be 36 games and I think that is roughly where they will leave it. The only thing that could change that is the geographic location of the US teams in Canada. At most I see 48 games. Then the ice at most rinks starts to get iffy.

There is no way that Ottawa is going to want to complete with the REDBLACK.

1> The NHL has “targeted” Jan 1 as the start. Most insiders are suggesting it could be as late as February. Until the league releases a schedule, we won’t know.

2> Any Junior aged player projected to play for their NHL team will NOT be at the WJHC if it interferes with their training camp. I cannot say which players those are BUT considering how poor the top end depth at centre is right now in Minnesota, I cannot see Rossi playing for Austria as opposed to being at the Wild training camp.

3> I don’t think we will see a rookie cap at all this year. IT is far too difficult to set up a camp with Covid restrictions. You’d have a good 30-40 players coming from all over the World to participate in a 7 day camp. It will require a 14 day quarantine for many players. It would be needless border crossing etc resulting in further 14 day quarantines. For example, Jack Quinn would need to go to the USA and quarantine for 14 days before competing in a 7 day rookie camp. He will not have access to on or off ice trading for 14 days. HE will then participate in that camp and cross back into Canada and have to quarantine again for 14 days with no access to on or off ice training. Think about the logistics for such a relatively meaningless camp.

4> Regarding road trips. The league will do exactly as I said. They will do back to back games against the same team and knock the furthest teams off their schedule in one trip. Not all teams will have to do this but teams like Ottawa and SSM will do these types of trips. It will reduce travel significantly.

5> Zero chance of fans. That is a pipe dream. They have closed eating in restaurants. They will not allow fans in an arena. IT is going to be difficult just to get teams on the ice to play hockey let alone having fans.

6> Regarding schedule, they can play about 13-14 games per month. Four months of regular season gives them about 50 games. 48 seems most reasonable. Run five game series playoffs in the first two rounds. Then 7 game series after that. That is a 7 week playoff. Memorial Cup leads into Canada Day...give or take.

7> Proposed schedule. Play each team in division 6 or 8 times. Each team in opposing division of same conference 4 times. That is 48 games. That should be the sweet spot I think.

Under that scenario, 67’s road trips:

1> Niagara, Hamilton, Missy (3 days)
2> Niagara, Hamilton, Missy (3 days)
3> Barrie x2 & Hamilton (3 days)
4> Sudbury & North Bay (2 days)
5> Sudbury & North Bay (2 days)
Opposing Division and 3 Hamilton games covered.

Leaves Oshawa x3, Petes x4 and Kingston x4 as same day trips.

That requires only 8 nights in a hotel away from Ottawa. Last season was around 20 nights.

It is also likely we punt the Sudbury games over to SSM as geographic rivals and add g

***This assumes Ottawa plays Oshawa and Hamilton 6 times and Peterborough and Kingston 8 times.

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I got this letter from the team to STH:

A Letter From GM James Boyd
Dear 67’s Fans:

It is strange to be writing a note about the upcoming season when, by now, we’d usually be more than a month into it. Typically, when the leaves start crunching under our feet, the players have returned from NHL camp, everyone is comfortably settled in at Blyth Academy, Universities and billet homes in Ottawa and our team is starting to gel.
The OHL announced today an updated timeline for their Return to Play plan. Under the new timelines, OHL Training Camps are scheduled to commence on Saturday, January 23 in preparation for the 2020-21 Regular Season that will feature a 40-game schedule running from Thursday, February 4 through Saturday, May 8. (Full OHL Press Release.)
You probably know that our coach, André Tourigny (The Bear), is Head Coach of the Canadian World Junior Team this year. He’ll be inside a safety bubble in Edmonton with Team Canada and the competition throughout December running up to the championship final on January 5th. Two of our players, Graeme Clarke and Jack Quinn, are in the running for spots on the roster as is Equipment Manager Chris “Hammy” Hamilton. 67’s Assistant GM and Director of Scouting Jan Egert will return in his role as Video Coach with the Swiss National Team in Edmonton. That is great representation for the 67’s. We wish them the very best!
Over the last few month’s our players have been focusing on their training in their respective hometowns across the province. We have been in constant communication with them, providing support, encouragement, leadership training, and team-building exercises. The players are focused on getting back and their perseverance and dedication has been inspiring. We have received commitments from some of our young players and will look to make formal announcements in the days leading up to training camp. It is always a fun stage of the season to see those new players competing against our returning veterans.
Thank you for supporting the 67’s through these crazy times. I promise you, when the puck finally drops, we will be ready, on the ice, in the stands, and on the concourses. We will prioritize health and safety, continuing our goal of assembling the best possible team to give you and your friends and family something to cheer about. Hopefully, you and yours are well and we’ll soon be back at TD Place cheering-on the 67’s.
See you soon.

James
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Something a little different.

We always talk about players that were the best, This question is

Who was the worst player drafted by an NHL team.

My thought is a goalie that was drafted first round.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Something a little different.

We always talk about players that were the best, This question is

Who was the worst player drafted by an NHL team.

My thought is a goalie that was drafted first round.

I’m not sure taking a negative approach and throwing guys under the bus is the most productive conversation. Regardless of what you think about Craig Hillier, he performed very well in an Ottawa 67’s uniform. Maybe he didn’t have the work ethic and attitude to be a productive professional player; however, he did produce for the 67’s and ultimately, that is what is most important.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Glad to see the Big Ten, Michigan, and Michigan State starting Hockey in mid-November. This will have to do until after the first of the year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just out of curiosity what do you see as the probable line up for this team?

Personally, I am not sure what will happen with Rossi. I think he has the skills but wonders if the wild will send him back to Ottawa

If he comes back and YES IT IS A BIG IF. then I would say go for it

being able to put together Quinn and Rossi on one line and Clarke and Hoelscher on the other will give us a great offense.

I think the wild will want him close so that they can monitor his development also right now the EU is having huge difficulties with Covid and it may be safer to keep him here.

I think we can write off our Euro players as well as our Number 1 pick who BTW has 6 pts in 2 games in NJ.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just out of curiosity what do you see as the probable line up for this team?

Personally, I am not sure what will happen with Rossi. I think he has the skills but wonders if the wild will send him back to Ottawa

If he comes back and YES IT IS A BIG IF. then I would say go for it

being able to put together Quinn and Rossi on one line and Clarke and Hoelscher on the other will give us a great offense.

I think the wild will want him close so that they can monitor his development also right now the EU is having huge difficulties with Covid and it may be safer to keep him here.

I think we can write off our Euro players as well as our Number 1 pick who BTW has 6 pts in 2 games in NJ.

Rossi won’t be back. The Wild are ultra thin down the middle. I cannot see him being sent back to Junior when he would be the #1 or #2 centre on that current roster.

It will be hard to put together a projected roster. That said, Simontaival will be in Edmonton for the World Junior tourney and I have to assume Gaidamak will be in Ottawa this year considering his age and that he has already signed (as far as I am aware). So if the OOHL is on target to start February 4th, I don’t see Simontaival going back to Finland. HE will shuttle to Ottawa and prep for the start of the OHL season.

The question is whether we get any NCAA commits. As of right now that doesn’t seem likely. IT will depend on how negotiations go with their NHL clubs and the timing of both their NCAA season and the CHL.

I believe we are fine up front with what we have. There is talk that Quinn may revert to centre in preparation of him potentially being a centre in Buffalo. That would give us Hoelscher, Quinn, Tolnai and Gaidamak down the middle which would be more than fine. The young kids we drafted the last two drafts are all wingers so we should be fine.

We have the right number of bodies on the back end and in net. We could use a Veteran D-Man to play 25 minutes a game but that would be considered a luxury, not a requirement.

The 67’s could easily go into a holding pattern this season and play out the string and go through the motions. I think that is what they will do. If that is the case, a projected lineup isn’t very viable because we sort of know who all the players will be (unless an NCAA commit reports). It will jsut be a matter of seeing who fits best with whom and then configure lines accordingly.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Have the 67's announced any signings that I missed since the end of the season? I know Gaidamack posted he signed but I don't think the poles announced it. Also no news on our draft picks to my knowledge. Did Moldenhauer sign with that Jersey team until the O starts? Or is he not coming? He did seem quite pleased to be picked by Ottawa after the draft and it's certainly turned in a great development program so I would be surprised he doesn't come. Anyway would be nice if the 67's were a bit more forthcoming with their plans etc.. Important to keep the fans engaged especially this year!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Have the 67's announced any signings that I missed since the end of the season? I know Gaidamack posted he signed but I don't think the poles announced it. Also no news on our draft picks to my knowledge. Did Moldenhauer sign with that Jersey team until the O starts? Or is he not coming? He did seem quite pleased to be picked by Ottawa after the draft and it's certainly turned in a great development program so I would be surprised he doesn't come. Anyway would be nice if the 67's were a bit more forthcoming with their plans etc.. Important to keep the fans engaged especially this year!

I am reasonably certain no one is signed. I think there are handshake agreements but no sense in OHL contracts getting in the way at this point. As soon as they are confirmed ready to go, you will see the signings released all in one day.

Reactions: sirius67fan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rossi won’t be back. The Wild are ultra thin down the middle. I cannot see him being sent back to Junior when he would be the #1 or #2 centre on that current roster.

It will be hard to put together a projected roster. That said, Simontaival will be in Edmonton for the World Junior tourney and I have to assume Gaidamak will be in Ottawa this year considering his age and that he has already signed (as far as I am aware). So if the OOHL is on target to start February 4th, I don’t see Simontaival going back to Finland. HE will shuttle to Ottawa and prep for the start of the OHL season.

The question is whether we get any NCAA commits. As of right now that doesn’t seem likely. IT will depend on how negotiations go with their NHL clubs and the timing of both their NCAA season and the CHL.

I believe we are fine up front with what we have. There is talk that Quinn may revert to centre in preparation of him potentially being a centre in Buffalo. That would give us Hoelscher, Quinn, Tolnai and Gaidamak down the middle which would be more than fine. The young kids we drafted the last two drafts are all wingers so we should be fine.

We have the right number of bodies on the back end and in net. We could use a Veteran D-Man to play 25 minutes a game but that would be considered a luxury, not a requirement.

The 67’s could easily go into a holding pattern this season and play out the string and go through the motions. I think that is what they will do. If that is the case, a projected lineup isn’t very viable because we sort of know who all the players will be (unless an NCAA commit reports). It will jsut be a matter of seeing who fits best with whom and then configure lines accordingly.

OMG

the WILD have traded for centers BONINO from nash, BUGSTAD from Pitts and ERIKSON. iI agree he could make the team but the other side is the finances do you want to waste year 1 of his contract on a shortened season.

The Russian early line up does not have Gaidamak so I am not sure I would agree though that he will probably play for the 67's

Simontaival I believe will have a 3 options
1. play for the 67's
2. play AHL
3 play back in Finland

Like Rossi it will be the Kings choice based n what he does in camp.

I think the Sabres are going to want Quinn to stay as a winger they already have a lot of centers not to mention Eichel and Reinhart. What they need is players that can play on their wings

I do agree though that it will mostly be the same faces
our first line at least to open camp should be Clarke Hoelsher and Quinn

Reactions: Boris67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
N
OMG

the WILD have traded for centers BONINO from nash, BUGSTAD from Pitts and ERIKSON. iI agree he could make the team but the other side is the finances do you want to waste year 1 of his contract on a shortened season.

The Russian early line up does not have Gaidamak so I am not sure I would agree though that he will probably play for the 67's

Simontaival I believe will have a 3 options
1. play for the 67's
2. play AHL
3 play back in Finland

Like Rossi it will be the Kings choice based n what he does in camp.

I think the Sabres are going to want Quinn to stay as a winger they already have a lot of centers not to mention Eichel and Reinhart. What they need is players that can play on their wings

I do agree though that it will mostly be the same faces
our first line at least to open camp should be Clarke Hoelsher and Quinn

Not one of those WILD centres you mention are capable #1 guys. At best they would be holding pattern centres for their COVID season. I am not sure a guy like Parise would be happy playing with any of those three guys.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
The way things are trending right now I doubt you will see any OHL hockey this season. Ontario cases are exponentially on the rise daily.

Many cities are headed for the red zone and no real relief in sight. I know they have changed the parameters for red zone designation but if things do not improve soon the outlook looks bleak.

I cannot see the government letting the season progress as they have to do all they can to save lives. The economy is in a shambles but we have no way of predicting what the pandemic will bring.

The vaccine which Pfiser has produced still hs to be FDA approved. Even if it is approved we as individuals will not see it for some time.

Do not get me wrong, I for one really looking forward to the OHL return.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The way things are trending right now I doubt you will see any OHL hockey this season. Ontario cases are exponentially on the rise daily.

Many cities are headed for the red zone and no real relief in sight. I know they have changed the parameters for red zone designation but if things do not improve soon the outlook looks bleak.

I cannot see the government letting the season progress as they have to do all they can to save lives. The economy is in a shambles but we have no way of predicting what the pandemic will bring.

The vaccine which Pfiser has produced still hs to be FDA approved. Even if it is approved we as individuals will not see it for some time.

Do not get me wrong, I for one really looking forward to the OHL return.
I hate to agree with you but you are probably right unless a vaccine is widely available by february...doubtful. Would be a shame missing the last season of Andree, Quinn, Hoelscher, Rip and Clarke. At least our future looks bright.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I hate to agree with you but you are probably right unless a vaccine is widely available by february...doubtful. Would be a shame missing the last season of Andree, Quinn, Hoelscher, Rip and Clarke. At least our future looks bright.

The OHL needs to figure something out.

This will be a case of “out of sight out of mind.” Just think for a second about what happened to the 67’s when they moved two years across town. They didn’t cancel operations for two years, all they did was move. Look at how difficult it has been for the 67’s to simply regain the fan support they lost by simply moving. Imagine how difficult it will be for the league should they cancel the season entirely after already cancelling a full playoffs.

This is in the forefront of the minds of the OHL executive.

The OHL will play a full season without fans if they have to in order to lessen the impact of having to rebrand and reacquire fan support.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We also need to keep the numbers in perspective. On Tuesday, The Ottawa Hospital (Civic and General Campus) had 15 hospitalized and 2 in ICU. Those are the numbers that matter, not positive tests.

I have stated this in the past. Each and every OHL player could end up testing positive for the Virus and recover relatively quickly because of their age and the fact they are healthy high performance athletes.

Cancelling an OHL season would be a political decision. It will have zero effect on saving lives. IT would be inconsequential.

The OHL doesn’t require fans to play games. They only need fans to lessen the financial impact.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
We also need to keep the numbers in perspective. On Tuesday, The Ottawa Hospital (Civic and General Campus) had 15 hospitalized and 2 in ICU. Those are the numbers that matter, not positive tests.

I have stated this in the past. Each and every OHL player could end up testing positive for the Virus and recover relatively quickly because of their age and the fact they are healthy high performance athletes.

Cancelling an OHL season would be a political decision. It will have zero effect on saving lives. IT would be inconsequential.

The OHL doesn’t require fans to play games. They only need fans to lessen the financial impact.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
We can speculate all we want but if the province is increasing by 5000 cases per day in December I do not think much will be happening.

In addition, you have no way of knowing if each and every OHL player would recover from a bout of Covid.

Political decisions are made on the ongoing statistics and saving lives is one of the ultimate goals. Why expose these players to this environment when it is really not necessary.

As far as numbers go we are talking about Ontaio not just Ottawa.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We can speculate all we want but if the province is increasing by 5000 cases per day in December I do not think much will be happening.

In addition, you have no way of knowing if each and every OHL player would recover from a bout of Covid.

Political decisions are made on the ongoing statistics and saving lives is one of the ultimate goals. Why expose these players to this environment when it is really not necessary.

As far as numbers go we are talking about Ontaio not just Ottawa.

I understand but what we are talking about really is a philosophical decision, not medical.

Positive cases doesn’t have meaning unless you look at the data more closely. IT is the main reason why Ford is looking for a second opinion regarding projections. So very few have difficulty AND I believe the last time I looked we had one death for a person under 18 in Canada.

If it is a matter of getting games in in an effort to develop talent and protect the value of franchises, I firmly believe that can be accomplished regardless of any of the silly colour codes. IT is just a matter of how many sacrifices need to be made to make it happen.

The players are already only participating in online learning so schooling isn’t an issue. Arrangements can be made for training (off ice).

The only real issue is living conditions. A traditional billet situation isn’t all that viable if they are trying to create more of an internal bubble. That said, other arrangements can be made including the rental of houses with proctors taking care of their food preparation and security etc. Hotels could be an option. IT is not like they aren’t mostly empty right now. That said, hotels are not ideal but an option nonetheless.

Teams have the ability to set up their own internal bubbles that would massively reduce the risk of contraction. If the teams can do this, and the players can remain disciplined within the rules, I don’t see any reason why they cannot pull off a 3 month schedule of 40ish games and a 3 round playoff. While doing this, they would not contribute whatsoever to the “spread.”

It is in the hands of the OHL to determine whether the operations changes are achievable both from an operations standpoint as well as financially.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I understand but what we are talking about really is a philosophical decision, not medical.

Positive cases doesn’t have meaning unless you look at the data more closely. IT is the main reason why Ford is looking for a second opinion regarding projections. So very few have difficulty AND I believe the last time I looked we had one death for a person under 18 in Canada.

If it is a matter of getting games in in an effort to develop talent and protect the value of franchises, I firmly believe that can be accomplished regardless of any of the silly colour codes. IT is just a matter of how many sacrifices need to be made to make it happen.

The players are already only participating in online learning so schooling isn’t an issue. Arrangements can be made for training (off ice).

The only real issue is living conditions. A traditional billet situation isn’t all that viable if they are trying to create more of an internal bubble. That said, other arrangements can be made including the rental of houses with proctors taking care of their food preparation and security etc. Hotels could be an option. IT is not like they aren’t mostly empty right now. That said, hotels are not ideal but an option nonetheless.

Teams have the ability to set up their own internal bubbles that would massively reduce the risk of contraction. If the teams can do this, and the players can remain disciplined within the rules, I don’t see any reason why they cannot pull off a 3 month schedule of 40ish games and a 3 round playoff. While doing this, they would not contribute whatsoever to the “spread.”

It is in the hands of the OHL to determine whether the operations changes are achievable both from an operations standpoint as well as financially.
good post OMG (as almost always;)). Two points. Although I agree with your points it might not be a philosophical decision but a political one. Ford or his uninformed health minister can cancel the season with the strike of a pen. Unfortunatly politicians generally care about perception not necessarily logic. My other concern is that assuming the politicians don't impede the season. Do the league/owners have the financial capacity to have a season without fans? I'm asking because I don't know the answer. I agree a full year without games could have bad long term repurcussions but can the league financially bite the bullet in the short term?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
good post OMG (as almost always;)). Two points. Although I agree with your points it might not be a philosophical decision but a political one. Ford or his uninformed health minister can cancel the season with the strike of a pen. Unfortunatly politicians generally care about perception not necessarily logic. My other concern is that assuming the politicians don't impede the season. Do the league/owners have the financial capacity to have a season without fans? I'm asking because I don't know the answer. I agree a full year without games could have bad long term repurcussions but can the league financially bite the bullet in the short term?

The Province cannot cancel the season. All they can do is turn down the league proposals. I firmly believe the league can find a way to satisfy the Province.

The question, as you put it, is whether the cost to do so make sense in relation to protecting the value of the asset (league teams). Unfortunately, that is not something I can answer.

I believe if the teams can put themselves into a bubble (team by team) by cutting themselves off from the rest of society, the Province will grant them permission to play as normal as previously. This is what may end up being required.

Personally, I think this is overkill. However, my opinion is a lot of what we've experienced is overkill. I think the approach has been a disaster of epic proportions and I don't feel those in charge have learned anything. We talk about outbreaks and spread and the need to protect the vulnerable and yet the biggest outbreak zones are still LTC facilities. Yet, here we are talking about the OHL as a "potential" threat. I think it is disgusting.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Do you think if the whole province is in lockdown but the OHL will get the okay to go ahead and play? Just because they are young does not mean they are invincible.

You have your opinion which you may think is the one and only, but I beg to differ and will leave it at that.

You would not think it is such an overkill when it affects your immediate family.

The cuurent situation is serious and not something to just brush off.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I have to agree with analyser.

The province and the federal government can shut down anything.

As analyser said if they announce a lockdown that is it. Also if they decide to cancel all sporting events or gatherings of 40 -50 people that is it also.

An example is the Q the government shut them down.

The feds have already shut down the american teams coming to canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->