Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In my opinion to be a contender and not a pretender, we need a impact forward and a top pairing d-man even with the above lineup.

The 3rd. line which consists of Robinson,, Tolnai and Varga will just not contribute enough offensively.
1. Robinson often injured and a pro rated point total of 18 last season.
2. Tolnai with 22 points due to a sudden spurt at the end of the season. Has he truly arrived or was this just a flash in the pan. Big question?
3. Varga with 11 points and just does not have a real scoring touch.

Too many questions concerning the 3rd. line regardless of your possible projected lines.

There is also the viability of the 4th line wingers. As 17 year olds, both Sirizzotti and Johnston are both poised for contributions that elevate them to the 3rd line. Same goes for Laforme. The 4th line listed could very well be the 3rd line.

I really don't think we need to score 5 goals per game to be considered a contender. If anything, resources are needed on the back end before we even think of front end.

All a moot point anyway because there's a very small chance Rossi returns and I still think that is less than 1%.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
There is also the viability of the 4th line wingers. As 17 year olds, both Sirizzotti and Johnston are both poised for contributions that elevate them to the 3rd line. Same goes for Laforme. The 4th line listed could very well be the 3rd line.

I really don't think we need to score 5 goals per game to be considered a contender. If anything, resources are needed on the back end before we even think of front end.

All a moot point anyway because there's a very small chance Rossi returns and I still think that is less than 1%.
I agree about Rossi not returning and so we might as well plan our team with this in mind. Some people do not like to give up on Rossi's return but this is reality.

First let's hope we get some hockey to watch this season and enjoy whatever team management can assemble.

Reactions: Finster8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree about Rossi not returning and so we might as well plan our team with this in mind. Some people do not like to give up on Rossi's return but this is reality.

First let's hope we get some hockey to watch this season and enjoy whatever team management can assemble.

I hear ya. Any season with any players would be a positive at this point.

Reactions: Finster8

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
Consider our projected lineup posted earlier in this thread.
No Rossi or Simontaival. Hoelscher is back.
Assuming an OHL season takes place with 60ish games.
Who in the Eastern conference has an obvious team better than we do?
Our goaltending is by far the most established and proven in the conference. our top line can be the best, and our young D got some pretty solid experience last year. Maybe Belanger picks up some of the offence vacated by Hoefenmayer, and Matier some of the shut down capabilities of Bahl.

Oshawa is probably the favorite. Who else projects a better roster?
Peterborough has no current answer in nets.
In Kingston I see Wright starting to kill us, but who is going to help him tip the winning of division games in their favour?

Who do we project to finish ahead of the barberpoles in the east?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I expect Hamilton, Barrie, and Mississauga will all be improved and battle for home ice. But I could see Ottawa finishing in the 3-5 range.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Consider our projected lineup posted earlier in this thread.
No Rossi or Simontaival. Hoelscher is back.
Assuming an OHL season takes place with 60ish games.
Who in the Eastern conference has an obvious team better than we do?
Our goaltending is by far the most established and proven in the conference. our top line can be the best, and our young D got some pretty solid experience last year. Maybe Belanger picks up some of the offence vacated by Hoefenmayer, and Matier some of the shut down capabilities of Bahl.

Oshawa is probably the favorite. Who else projects a better roster?
Peterborough has no current answer in nets.
In Kingston I see Wright starting to kill us, but who is going to help him tip the winning of division games in their favour?

Who do we project to finish ahead of the barberpoles in the east?

We can look at pre-deadline rosters and speculate until the cows come home; however, I am reasonably certain if there is a season that is viable as you suggest (60 games), Oshawa will be throwing the kitchen sink at it. The team OShawa has going into the season will be vastly improved, especially if they are awarded the Host of the Memorial Cup.

With respect to ONLY the 67’s, their defence is nowhere near Contender calibre. Their offence isn’t deep enough to outscore their opponents. Jut because their defence got some experience last year doesn’t mean they are experienced veterans that can be relied upon to contain the deep offences of other top flight contenders.

If we returned with the league MVP in Rossi and added Simontaival, predicted to easily be a top line winger, all we’ need is one D-Man to play 26-28 minutes per game int he first pairing to be strong enough on the back end to outscore our opponents. Without the addition of those 80 goals and around 200 points (68 game season), I am reasonably certain we will be in a fight for Home ice and a 4th place finish without significant additions. This is definitely not the year to spend on additions with Oshawa poised to outspend everyone hands down.

If we manage to sign both Imports, great. IMO, we should be looking at trading one of Quinn or Clarke at the deadline to open the ice up for the younger guys and use those assets we get in the trade to push forward over the next two years when our window seems much more wide open.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
I agree with what your are saying.
Oshawa should be the top runner in the east.
Who do we think will be the other contenders?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It’s going to be tough to understand that until we see the Memorial Cup being awarded.

If the Memorial Cup hosting duties go to Oshawa, I see a lot of western Teams potentially pushing the envelope to go up against the Generals in the Finals For an auto birth to the Memorial Cup. As the Generals make significant moves in the East, we may see other eastern teams stand pat or sell to the western Teams.

All that is to say, we can analyze teams on paper in the pre-season and point to Hamilton and Mississauga but we all know teams can change dramatically at the deadline.

We are reasonably certain Ottawa will not spend at the deadline this year. Too many holes and a promising looking couple seasons as our current crop of 16 and 17 year olds mature. Spending future assets now isn’t advisable.

Let’s just hope there is a viable season and watch the young lads develop and emerge.

Reactions: sirius67fan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Mississauga and Barrie.
If any of Hamilton, Kingston, and NB fill their OA spots, they could be in a battle for fourth. Hamilton will have 8-19 yr olds from last seasons roster. If Byfield is returned to Sudbury, they probably add something at the deadline. The east will be better over all, imo.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Let’s just hope there is a viable season and watch the young lads develop and emerge.

Pretty much summarizes the goal of most every OHL fan for this season for their own team? So many unanswered questions especially when it comes to the potential rosters?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Mississauga and Barrie.
If any of Hamilton, Kingston, and NB fill their OA spots, they could be in a battle for fourth. Hamilton will have 8-19 yr olds from last seasons roster. If Byfield is returned to Sudbury, they probably add something at the deadline. The east will be better over all, imo.

Kingston haas to many holes to truly be a contender. the worst thing that happenedd to them was they placed in the playoff window at the end of season. They hae no defence and no second line.

I think this year we may be left with only 1 Euro so that could be interesting.

The one thing that everyone seems to foreget is that every year we have a forward come out of no where to be a scoring threat and put up the numbers.

I am loking at our batch of 17 yearolds and think that there are a couple that could do that espcially if Laforme can fit in between Johnson and Sirrizotti. all 32 of them will be looking to make a name for themselves in the draft.

Last year we were concerned about how do we replace Chem remember, the year before it was the same thing.
I truly think that we will not have a problem scoring goals and am looking for our defence to step up and show something.

There are a lot of draft eligible players on this team that will want to show something.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rossi and Quinn scoouting has them close to each other in the rankings. Quinn has been tagged as the best goal scorer.

I am thinking that size and scoring prowess may push him ahead of Rossi. Any thoughts?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Kingston haas to many holes to truly be a contender. the worst thing that happenedd to them was they placed in the playoff window at the end of season. They hae no defence and no second line.

The one thing that everyone seems to foreget is that every year we have a forward come out of no where to be a scoring threat and put up the numbers.

I am loking at our batch of 17 yearolds and think that there are a couple that could do that espcially if Laforme can fit in between Johnson and Sirrizotti. all 32 of them will be looking to make a name for themselves in the draft.

Let's just hope we have hockey this season, whole or partial season. Either way it would be nice to see some games again.

Last year we were concerned about how do we replace Chem remember, the year before it was the same thing.
I truly think that we will not have a problem scoring goals and am looking for our defence to step up and show something.

There are a lot of draft eligible players on this team that will want to show something.
I highly doubt that a couple of 17 yr. old players are going to fill the void left by Rossi, Garreffa and Keating. Last year it was 1 player to replace Chem and we picked up Garreffa who is a bonafide scorer.

Should Simontaival not sign then we will have another hole to try and fill.

Their are a lot of draft eligible players who will want to show that they belong but everyone has limitations. I think you are expecting a little too much. Look at Tolnai he still has not really progressed as per expectations.

Our defence will be okay but does not have a lot of experience outside of Rippon. I believe we need a number one pairing defenceman at the very least to solidify the backend. Their is no point acquiring one unless be have Simontaival, Rossi and Holescher up front. Rossi will not return, Simontaival may not sign and Hoelscher well we do not know.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I stated that (along with Ottawa), any/all of Hamilton , Kingston, NB could be in a battle for fourth if they fill their OA spots. In a battle for the middle of the conference does not mean the same as a contender, at least that is not what I meant.

slidetackle

Feb 24, 2019
Rossi and Quinn scoouting has them close to each other in the rankings. Quinn has been tagged as the best goal scorer.

I am thinking that size and scoring prowess may push him ahead of Rossi. Any thoughts?

Rossi is a top five pick - imo he is NHL ready because of his skating and hockey sense.

Quinn I am not so sure about, I predict he'll be taken no higher than 15th overall.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rossi is a top five pick - imo he is NHL ready because of his skating and hockey sense.

Quinn I am not so sure about, I predict he'll be taken no higher than 15th overall.

Quinn is projected to be atop 10pick in the draft by scouting.

I honestly do not see Rossi as NHL ready. Yes, he is good but even Chem had to move to the AHL. Rossi has to get used to the speed and size in a short season that is not going to be easy. I see him playing elsewhere this year

Quin is touted as the best pure goal scorer in the draft and has the size. Depending on who drafts him he may make a rebuilding team like NJ or such

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I stated that (along with Ottawa), any/all of Hamilton , Kingston, NB could be in a battle for fourth if they fill their OA spots. In a battle for the middle of the conference does not mean the same as a contender, at least that is not what I meant.

Sorry, I still think you are wrong Kingston has the same Euro that they had last year and have absolutely no leadership on defense. They IMHO will be at the bottom 8 team and will just make the playoffs.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I honestly do not see Rossi as NHL ready. Yes, he is good but even Chem had to move to the AHL.
Who is Chem? Are you talking about Sasha Chmelevski, picked 185 overall, and comparing him to Rossi ranked 6th overall? Why would you do that?

This coming season will be quite different for many teams. The cap crunch is coming which could result in more opportunity than normal for players drafted beyond the top 3.

Reactions: Mild Italian

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good interview with Kenny Walls on the OHl website! I'm not very savvy about posting links but it's right on their home page.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sorry, I still think you are wrong Kingston has the same Euro that they had last year and have absolutely no leadership on defense. They IMHO will be at the bottom 8 team and will just make the playoffs.

Returning imports is a good thing, returning for a third year would be great. KGN passed on the chance to use the 5th OHL pick, they are obviously ok with how their 1st yr eligible imports performed last season.
We will see about leadership on D. Some one could step up in place of Brahaney. KGN could acquire two OAs if they choose

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I like that Kenny did give credit to Jeff Brown in laying the foundation for our recent success. He left the team with a good core and plenty of assets. Boyd/Tourigny then did a fantastic job managing them. To think I was less than thrilled when they hired Boyd, boy was I wrong. Apologies James!

Reactions: dirty12

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
What is the matter with Martin Chromiak he had 33 points in just 28 games in a league where he was unfamiliar. Vitali Pinchuk also contributed with 34 points in 54 games.

Chromiak's points per game were very similar to Rossi's first season. Rossi 1.22 to Chromiak's 1.17.

I would be quite happy with their production as many teams over the years have had very poor production from Euros. Not to mention that many drafted Euros never report to their OHL teams. Kingston at least know where they stand for this season.

Reactions: Uncle

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If we have Hoelscher, I agree. We will have no problems with offence. We may not be the juggernaught we have been the last two years but we will be at it near the top in scoring.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
What is the matter with Martin Chromiak he had 33 points in just 28 games in a league where he was unfamiliar. Vitali Pinchuk also contributed with 34 points in 54 games.

Chromiak's points per game were very similar to Rossi's first season. Rossi 1.22 to Chromiak's 1.17.

I would be quite happy with their production as many teams over the years have had very poor production from Euros. Not to mention that many drafted Euros never report to their OHL teams. Kingston at least know where they stand for this season.

The problem that Kingston has and the fans admit it. They are basically coming back with a weaker team than they had last year. Yes Chromiak is going to be good but they do not have a supporting cast
This is going to be a major problem. remember they did not have a lot of quality draft picks.

Their defense does not have the quality of returning players compared to us and look at the people on here that are worried about it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The problem that Kingston has and the fans admit it. They are basically coming back with a weaker team than they had last year. Yes Chromiak is going to be good but they do not have a supporting cast
This is going to be a major problem. remember they did not have a lot of quality draft picks.

Their defense does not have the quality of returning players compared to us and look at the people on here that are worried about it.

The KGN forwards will almost certainly be much better as a group when compared to the rest of the league than they were last season imo. The defence will no doubt miss Brahaney. The ‘67s will miss Bahl, Hoffenmayer, & Ohotynuk more. The KGN D will actually have a pretty good mix for a building team with two at 19, two at 18, and one each at 17 & 16. Maybe they add an OA D with one of their two open spots.
Moreover, getting McFarland back behind the bench is a pretty big deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad