Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
5 game misconducts so far 3 to Kingston 2 to Ottawa (Keating and Sawyer)

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Wow not the most defensive game by the sounds of it. I would expect Ottawa to be much better defensively

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My takeaways from today’s game....

1> Sirizzotti, Beck, Johnston, Sawyer and Costantini all have full cages on but Matier did not. That suggests none of them other than Matier have guaranteed spots. They are on affiliate cards for now until the team is decided.

2> Sawyer is ready to play now. Based only on today’s game, he was probably the 2nd best D-Man behind Bahl. Wilson, Rippon, Okhotyuk and Hoefenmayer were all scratches though.

3> Costantini is not ready. Yule is still the same Yule.

4> Out of the five rookies from the 2019 draft, Sirizzotti is probably the one that’s a step behind. Sawyer and Johnston are probably the two in the lead. Matier will be a player but I’m not sure if he will be much of one through Christmas. HE needs time to find the speed.

5> Clarke is unchanged. He’s fine with the puck on his stick in scoring areas and he is solid in tight but he has no idea what he is doing with the puck with speed.

6> F-A Tourigny is pretty decent. Choppy skating and such but he pushes hard and can be nifty with the puck. I think he will make the team as the #4 centre or at least is the 13th forward for now. Additions will come later and bump him back but he will break as a player I believe.

7> Rossi is a good player. He’s going to put up a good amount of points. HE will have Clarke on his wing. HE’s the one that should feed him all year.

8> With how decent both Beck and Johnston look, I could see them both hold down spots on the left side with Keating and Robinson.

9> The management is going to have a tough time deciding which 16 year olds to keep. Clearly Matier is going to stay. I think Sawyer should stay regardless of their defence depth. Johnston has enough moxie to stick. That would mean it would come down to Sirizzotti or Beck. I have the nod going to Beck. What a great situation for this management team though.

10> Tolnai and Hoelscher were both solid. Neither particularly stood out but both had rookies beside them so they were clearly the guys getting all the attention from he opposition. Both did well overall.

11> Based on today’s game alone, I am not sure we need Peric. As mentioned, Sawyer outplayed him IMO.

12> I would have liked to have seen Crete play today. I wonder if he is still on the radar? HE didn’t play centre yesterday. I assume he’s in a good situation right now but I wonder why he didn’t play today.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

1> Sirizzotti, Beck, Johnston, Sawyer and Costantini all have full cages on but Matier did not. That suggests none of them other than Matier have guaranteed spots. They are on affiliate cards for now until the team is decided.

2> Sawyer is ready to play now. Based only on today’s game, he was probably the 2nd best D-Man behind Bahl. Wilson, Rippon, Okhotyuk and Hoefenmayer were all scratches though.

4> Out of the five rookies from the 2019 draft, Sirizzotti is probably the one that’s a step behind. Sawyer and Johnston are probably the two in the lead. Matier will be a player but I’m not sure if he will be much of one through Christmas. HE needs time to find the speed.

5> Clarke is unchanged. He’s fine with the puck on his stick in scoring areas and he is solid in tight but he has no idea what he is doing with the puck with speed.

6> F-A Tourigny is pretty decent. Choppy skating and such but he pushes hard and can be nifty with the puck. I think he will make the team as the #4 centre or at least is the 13th forward for now. Additions will come later and bump him back but he will break as a player I believe.

7> Rossi is a good player. He’s going to put up a good amount of points. HE will have Clarke on his wing. HE’s the one that should feed him all year.

8> With how decent both Beck and Johnston look, I could see them both hold down spots on the left side with Keating and Robinson.

9> The management is going to have a tough time deciding which 16 year olds to keep. Clearly Matier is going to stay. I think Sawyer should stay regardless of their defence depth. Johnston has enough moxie to stick. That would mean it would come down to Sirizzotti or Beck. I have the nod going to Beck. What a great situation for this management team though.

10> Tolnai and Hoelscher were both solid. Neither particularly stood out but both had rookies beside them so they were clearly the guys getting all the attention from he opposition. Both did well overall.

11> Based on today’s game alone, I am not sure we need Peric. As mentioned, Sawyer outplayed him IMO.

12> I would have liked to have seen Crete play today. I wonder if he is still on the radar? HE didn’t play centre yesterday. I assume he’s in a good situation right now but I wonder why he didn’t play today.
Thanks for the report, appreciated!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Ok so I've been out of the country for 3 weeks so a bit out of touch. I see we acquired Dylan Robinson for a pretty hefty price. Former second rounder with pedestrian stats albeit he missed a lot of games. So my questions are why did Oshawa give up on him so soon? Did he ask out? Pretty hefty price also, two seconds and a third. Feedback would be appreciated. I checked the thread and really could not find much so I apologize in advance if I missed something and rehashing an old discussion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ok so I've been out of the country for 3 weeks so a bit out of touch. I see we acquired Dylan Robinson for a pretty hefty price. Former second rounder with pedestrian stats albeit he missed a lot of games. So my questions are why did Oshawa give up on him so soon? Did he ask out? Pretty hefty price also, two seconds and a third. Feedback would be appreciated. I checked the thread and really could not find much so I apologize in advance if I missed something and rehashing an old discussion.

I don’t think it is common knowledge as to why he was traded. I think it was a combination of fresh start after injury and lack of ice for him. I am not sure if he wants to go back to his natural centre position or not. I don’t think it matters. I also feel OShawa is building for next year and they needed those extra picks. When they project forward, they may feel the picks, for them, are more valuable.

The 67’s are light on the left side. After Keating, it was just the two 16 year olds and Yule plus maybe Dick. They could use the body. And, if it doesn’t work out as planned, it’s a player they may be able to flip down the road in a bigger deal.. Last year we were unable to get the types of players we needed because we only trade picks. This may be an answer for that should it come to it.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I don't think Robinson will start the year. He is still recovering from hip surgery and can't take contact until mid September. We may need LW skaters.
Rippon is injured as well, but I don't know when he will be back.
I wasn't there today but impressed with Beck Thursday and yesterday. He certainly didn't seem out of place playing with Rossi and Clarke yesterday.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don’t think it is common knowledge as to why he was traded. I think it was a combination of fresh start after injury and lack of ice for him. I am not sure if he wants to go back to his natural centre position or not. I don’t think it matters. I also feel OShawa is building for next year and they needed those extra picks. When they project forward, they may feel the picks, for them, are more valuable.

The 67’s are light on the left side. After Keating, it was just the two 16 year olds and Yule plus maybe Dick. They could use the body. And, if it doesn’t work out as planned, it’s a player they may be able to flip down the road in a bigger deal.. Last year we were unable to get the types of players we needed because we only trade picks. This may be an answer for that should it come to it.
Ok thanks. Hopefully he works out and as you noted we do have a need on the left side. I was just surprised at the cost even though he seemed highly regarded in his draft year. However I'm quite confident in the judgement of our management recently so they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

OMG thanks It is always very hard to say who will stay and who will go. especially when talking about teenagers.

Matier stays
Sirizoti I think stays we need RW badly
Sawyer depends on what they do with Peric and the defence but i agree he should stay
Beck/ Johnston is going to be may the best man win BUT I think the non-winner stays in the Ottawa area.

A lot is going to depend on who stays on defence and who they trade or let go.

If Hoef stays in the AHL do you still need to keep Wilson I think that the leadership on defence is still there without either of these guys?

Do we trade Peric and a package to get a second or third line RW?

If you go without an OA or Peric then you keep Sawyer and Matier.

Also, the Tourigny boys are 19 do we want them taking a space this year ?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG thanks It is always very hard to say who will stay and who will go. especially when talking about teenagers.

Matier stays
Sirizoti I think stays we need RW badly
Sawyer depends on what they do with Peric and the defence but i agree he should stay
Beck/ Johnston is going to be may the best man win BUT I think the non-winner stays in the Ottawa area.

A lot is going to depend on who stays on defence and who they trade or let go.

If Hoef stays in the AHL do you still need to keep Wilson I think that the leadership on defence is still there without either of these guys?

Do we trade Peric and a package to get a second or third line RW?

If you go without an OA or Peric then you keep Sawyer and Matier.

Also, the Tourigny boys are 19 do we want them taking a space this year ?

Still too many variables. For the Tourigny’s, obviously we don’t keep the goalie. We’ll keep the centre to start the year, especially if we are a little short.

There are way too many D-Men right now. This needs to be resolved in some way. Sawyer looks too good not to keep. If Hoef comes back and he is added to Bahl, Rippon, Okhotyuk and Belanger, that leaves one spot for Matier, Sawyer, Wilson and Peric. It makes sense to find a landing spot for Wilson even if we don’t have a forward OA in toe. If PEric wants out, we’ll have no choice but to accommodate. That leaves Matier and Sawyer sharing the #6 which should be fine. They’ll both play if there are injuries so all good there.

I really think it comes down to Sirizzotti, Beck and Johnston as to which of the three aren’t here to begin the season. As I said, initial eye test has Johnston making the team. It is a toss up between Beck and Sirizzotti with Beck getting the edge. I’m not too worried about RW vs LW. Guys at this age play both wings as necessary. Also, if Tourigny nails down the 4th centre role, that frees up Crete on the wing too.

Loads of variables.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Still too many variables. For the Tourigny’s, obviously we don’t keep the goalie. We’ll keep the centre to start the year, especially if we are a little short.

There are way too many D-Men right now. This needs to be resolved in some way. Sawyer looks too good not to keep. If Hoef comes back and he is added to Bahl, Rippon, Okhotyuk and Belanger, that leaves one spot for Matier, Sawyer, Wilson and Peric. It makes sense to find a landing spot for Wilson even if we don’t have a forward OA in toe. If PEric wants out, we’ll have no choice but to accommodate. That leaves Matier and Sawyer sharing the #6 which should be fine. They’ll both play if there are injuries so all good there.

I really think it comes down to Sirizzotti, Beck and Johnston as to which of the three aren’t here to begin the season. As I said, initial eye test has Johnston making the team. It is a toss up between Beck and Sirizzotti with Beck getting the edge. I’m not too worried about RW vs LW. Guys at this age play both wings as necessary. Also, if Tourigny nails down the 4th centre role, that frees up Crete on the wing too.

Loads of variables.
Should we assume our goaltending is set?

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I would think so. Andree should be the starter based on last year’s performance. Cranley is very highly regarded at 17 years old. Tourigny is 19. He’ll be a decent #3 option if there is an injury etc but that’s about it.
I think this is the first time in a long time that we started a season without fretting about our goaltending (not the case if you check out just about any other team in the league). There do not appear to be a lot of high-end goaltenders in the OHL relative to previous years (i.e. fewer drafted/signed goalies).

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Loads of variables.
you've got me intrigued about Sawyer. He really wasn't on my radar for this year because of our depth on D. Aside from the fact he appears fearless what did you like about his game and do you think he can be a solid third pair contributor this year?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
you've got me intrigued about Sawyer. He really wasn't on my radar for this year because of our depth on D. Aside from the fact he appears fearless what did you like about his game and do you think he can be a solid third pair contributor this year?

He's active. He goes into the dirty spots. He identifies his assignment and goes there. He's active after the whistle. He skates well and is very confident and poised.

He was stepping into guys. He drew the fight because he stepped into and leveled a player at the offensive blueline as he tried to come out of the zone. He seems to have really good instincts.

Of the five 16 year olds, him and Johnston stood out as active players. Beck and Matier were fine as well but both of those guys weren't nearly as active. Sirizzotti seemed a step behind.

Keep in mind, this is just one game so I typically don't consider results as all that important. I tend to look at confidence and activity. If players are pushing and not reckless, it is usually a good sign. I must say, Johnston was more reckless. He's like a little waterbug. He pushes really hard and chases very well, especially in the centre lanes where the traffic can be heavy.

With respect to Sawyer and the 3rd pair, it depends on the direction of this team and what they really need from their #6. I'd say he could suit up now on any team that doesn't look like a bonafide contender without a doubt...so at least 15 teams.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Thanks OMG appreciate the insights. You've also got me intrigued in Johnston now. Hopefully i can make it to one of the last 2 pre-season games to see for myself.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Thanks OMG appreciate the insights. You've also got me intrigued in Johnston now. Hopefully i can make it to one of the last 2 pre-season games to see for myself.

Johnston reminds me a lot of Erlich (LDN and BAR) in the way he used to dart around the ice.

Reactions: sirius67fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad